Beyer MANUFACTURE
Aug 8, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #198 of 310
green avanti, when you order your custom Beyers, you get to choose all kinds of color options, including the pads.

As for the impedance, I had a 32 ohm pair of DT770's, and found they sounded basically identical to the 250 ohm version. Only the 600 ohm version seems to sound different (and better, IMO, but yes, harder to drive).

I have just ordered a pair of 600 ohm DT770's, something I have been dying to do for a while. Wait until everyone gets a load of how I designed the look
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #199 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just ordered a pair of 600 ohm DT770's, something I have been dying to do for a while. Wait until everyone gets a load of how I designed the look
biggrin.gif

Knowing you, Rob - this should be a good one!
tongue.gif

I recently heard a pair of 600ohm 770s and they were certainly the best 770s I've heard.

Can't wait to see those pics!!!

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #200 of 310
re dt770 - last year I had a pair of Darths built with the 32 ohm drivers and they DO have a brighter/tighter sound....particularly in the treble. They work great for me with a tubey amp (use Xin Reference with them [22000uf cap), I don't like them as well with the more usual SS amps........I'd think dt770/600 require at least the same amping power as needed by dt990/600 - because deep bass with this ohm rating requires a lot of power (not quite as much as k340) but more than most amps commonly provide. The dt990/600, played thru my Prehead usually asks for the volume to be set at 2:30.
re dt880 - it is true, the best version of these is the 600 ohm. I had 2003 standard dt880, and later got 2005 Manufaktur 600ohm version - much superior IMO. But, sold them and kept the better dt990/600ohm.

Edit: re question about red pads - yes, they can be purchased in gen. Leather with your Manufaktur phones........additionally, I've found that the std Silver Grey velours take Red Fabric Dye beautifully (as if they'd come that way from mfgr.)

Aug 8, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #201 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by green_avanti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some mini-jack adaptors with built-in resistors I bought from Jan Meier which if I remember right were rated at 120ohm ea (and can be piggy-backed). If you don't know what I'm talking about viz the Ety ER4P>S resistance cable. My question is if I buy the 32's and add two 120ohm adaptors (for a total of 272, ie ~ 280 ohm) will this make these DT880's identical to a pair of 280ohm DT880's for all practical purposes, or is that not the case?

Kind regards

No, it won't, it's not ER4, they use different voice coils.

@BushGuy. Do you prefer DT990 over DT880 signature in general or it's 600Ohm version of them that is so great.

Aug 8, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #202 of 310
any dt990 600ohm users who are powering them with portable amps?
if so, please share your experience.
i really liked the sound of dt990 250ohm driven by headsix and pico. i would love to try the 600ohm with my pico. i do not have a desktop amp currently, and have no plan to get one anytime soon.

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #203 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any dt990 600ohm users who are powering them with portable amps?
if so, please share your experience.
i really liked the sound of dt990 250ohm driven by headsix and pico. i would love to try the 600ohm with my pico. i do not have a desktop amp currently, and have no plan to get one anytime soon.

I've tried 600Ohm DT880 with Pico. It barely gets the job done in high gain with almost maxed out volume.

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #204 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried 600Ohm DT880 with Pico. It barely gets the job done in high gain with almost maxed out volume.

thanks for the info. i guess i'll stick with hd600 for now.

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #205 of 310
Andrew Wot - I specifically like the 2005 dt990/600 (not so much the std 250 ohm version [but it is better IMO than 2003 std version (which was a step back from the 1988 version)]). Bought my pair when they first became available and still have them. There is NO chance that a portable amp will be sufficient for them. The reality is, that with my Meier Prehead MkII - I need to get around to raising the gain on it............OTOH I have successfully run (to my surprise) dt880/600 with a Xin amp..

The Meier adaptors that Green Avanti mentioned will warm his proposed headphones, but not to a sufficient degree. Stacking them is asking, no, pleading for lousy performance. Those adaptors were intended for older headphones that were too bright for current amplifiers and needed moderate attenuation (Jan was building amps that included an alternative out and they were not needed for his amps).

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #206 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Knowing you, Rob - this should be a good one!
tongue.gif

I recently heard a pair of 600ohm 770s and they were certainly the best 770s I've heard.

Can't wait to see those pics!!!

Well, you may well get to hear and see mine, because in all likelihood I will be asking you to recable them
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #207 of 310
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you may well get to hear and see mine, because in all likelihood I will be asking you to recable them
wink.gif

That would be awesome! And if it does happen, I'll be sure to turn the job around ASAP. Uh... how's about 3 weeks sound?
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #208 of 310
LOL! Sounds great
wink.gif

Now let's hope Beyer gets them to me quickly.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #209 of 310
Question - does Beyer sell replacement parts for the DT880-600ohm manufactur?

I'm being lazy as I could just email them, but it is not anything immediate. I currently own a DT880-600 which I like so much that I had them recabled to Apuresound v3. I acquired these used, and the headband is somewhat loose. I've tried carefully to bend them tighter, but ultimately not as tight as 'fresh' out of the box. Maybe my head is smallish. Again, this is not anything immediate, but as the DT880-600s are one of my keepers, just wondering if the headband assemby could be replaced sometime in the future.

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #210 of 310
Yes, they will sell the replacement parts (although some have said, in the past that obtaining the Gen. Leather headband covers could be problematical). Personally, I've not had that problem. Why did you give up on bending the headband? An additional solution for you could be to get a strip of thin foam and rubber cement it in place between the bottom of the metal headband, and its' cover - hence a snugger fit..........Put your 'phones on and look in the mirror and evaluate what you see.....a slight curving of the yoke will also help with exceptionally small heads. BTW - does this pair have a red gen. Leather headband cover?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back