Beyer DT990 - 600 ohm version; my last pair of cans for a while?
Oct 10, 2011 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Dubstep Girl

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok guys so before I ask  you all this, here is my setup.

Lossless from PC >> PS Audio Digital Link III DAC >> Woo Audio WA6SE with Sofia Princess 274B

Currently I have Grado SR325is, HD 650s, and AKG K701

I am strongly considering the DT 990s - 600 ohm version, however, im not sure how they compare to the 650s.

Also i wanna know if the DT 990 are a big improvement over the DT 770s (80 ohm version), and whether the sound signature is different from the hd 650s (enough of a difference to make the purchase worthwhile).

I had the dt 770s and while i loved the deep bass they had (they went down deep), yet it was kinda muddy and they lacked mid/upper bass (not punchy)also unfortunately, the mids where among the most recessed i had ever heard, and finally, the highs where extremely bright, even after burn in.

so my concern is? will the dt 990s be an improvement over the dt 770 - 80ohm while still sounding different from the hd 650s. and yes, i read that huge thread which compares all the beyers, but i want more answers, and hopefully a direct comparison to the hd 650s.

thanks guys! <3

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 3
I've auditioned both at an Audio Shop. I don't think you have to be concerned about them sounding better the DT 770s. I remember specifically on that day I heard HD 650, DT 990, DT 880 and the DT 880 was flat, slightly sibilant (just a point of reference), DT 990 had a smoother high, a little more bass without diverging off what off of what I would flat. For me, the DT 990 compared to the HD 650:
-More details on the high without being sibilant
-Less musical (but still fairly so)
-Less warm
-Less forward mids
-Bass is deeper, well extended, but less present than on the HD 650
-Wider soundstage and probably more depth (I can't remember specifically on the depth)
-Fairly decent all rounder (Not as good as the HD 650s though)

Keep in mind though, I listened to the 250 ohm version of DT 990 and through a MusicHall SS amp (can't remember model).

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 3
oh ok thanks for the input, the 250 i know have recessed mids compared to the 600s, the question for the 600s is...how recessed?

and i think they have more bass but i need someone to confirm this, plus i would be using my wa6se amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back