BEYER DT990/250 or Shure SRH 840.
Jul 31, 2010 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Vedub

New Head-Fier
I posted yesterday about a possible upgrade from a fiioe7 + Ipod with LOD and jvc ha-rx900's.

After searching through numerous threads I plan to get a d4 mamba amp / dac.

However I'm wondering what these can power sufficiently.  I'm not a hardcore audio-phile (yet) but going from classic lame earbuds to cans was a huge jump in quality so much that I want more now. 

Basically, for rock / pop. will the SRH840's, the d2000 or the Beyer DT990/250 ohms sound better, also sound leakage is an issue as I work in an office.

Any other suggestions are welcome :) 

- a noobie head-fi'er

Jul 31, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Bump with TLDR

Lowest sound leakage sub 300$ rock / pop headphones paired with ibasso d4 amp.  

SRH840 / k701 / dt990/250 / hd600 / d2000 ?

Your lowest leakage and most isolation is going to be the 840 followed by the D2000. I've heard the 840, D2000, and DT990/250. I personally didn't like the DT990 due to it's extremely harsh highs, to me anyway, though bass, soundstage, comfort, and detail were all great. Also leaks quite a bit and no isolation.

Out of the other two I'd pick the D2000 but that's my personal preference a bit more bass presences and soundstage and it responds very well to modding but it does like some amplification. It also leaks a bit though it wasn't enough to bother my roommates. Isolation isn't that great and you can hear outside noise relatively well but not quite like open cans. They are also a bit too big for a portable, imo.

I had some comfort problems with the 840s though they were really good cans, fairly neutral to my ears.

If you're looking for a portable solution the Audio Technica ESW9a would be worth looking at but beware of fakes as they are quite common. I've never heard it though so I can't comment on the sound.

Jul 31, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you both so much, just got the d4 , getting a cowon d2+ from a friend soon and hoping to get the 840's off the FS forum here if not they aren't too expensive online either.

Again, thank you. low leakage and high isolation is exactly what I was looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back