Beyer DT880 vs AKG K701/702 vs ATH ESW9
Dec 4, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #17 of 21
Mad Lust Envy has this setup. I can predict his answer:

"Get a Fiio E7 (dac) + E9 (amplifier)"

Its the best bang for your buck

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #18 of 21
Lol, you know me too well. Seriously, the 32ohm Beyers NEED an amp to shine. That ohm rating is very misleading with the popular 32ohm Beyers.

And yes, amping will improve the presence of bass, in both control and refinement. Listening to my 990s without an amp, and the bass is quite lacking compared to them with an amp at similar volume levels.

Zombie_X, I hope you can try out the Fiio E9 sometime soon. The few people who have compared them to more expensive amps have stated that it's been more powerful and just as high quality. I'm waiting on the day where the Matrix M-Stage and the E9 are directly compared.

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #19 of 21
I have the K701/2 and DT880 Premium/Pro 250ohm on my desk right now. I listen to classical, jazz, ambient, trance

The DT880 have a more 'rounded' sound to them, especially noticeable when you compare them next to the overly analytical K70x. If you really need low frequency response and dont want to purchase an amp, I would go in the direction of the DT880.

The K70x have an incredible sound stage that is quite the experience.

You should get an amplifier for each of these, once you go to a dedicated amp you shouldn't be too worried about driving either of them.

Build quality on the Beyers were very impressive. I liked the Pro version much more because of the detachable strap... The large caveat for me was that the Beyers will actually push on the helix of your ear, This grew exceedingly irritating on long listening sessions (office).

I wear my K70x the majority of the time.

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #20 of 21
I've got some K702s. Absolutely love them. I've never tried the 880 or 990s so I can't compare the sound of the two. I can say for sure they either pair needs to be amped.
Solid state is probably your best bet under a budget.

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #21 of 21
You most certainly do not want K701s for trance/electro-house, hip-hop or rock. Simple as this - they totally suck for those genres in my experience. They are the best headphones bar none I've owned for jazz, and by a country mile at that, but nothing else (which is why I sold them recently).

DT880/250s are more versatile, but have nothing of the soundstage of the K701s. To me they (the Beyers) sound like a less capable pair of HD650s without any veil (although a fair few prefer the Beyers). You have generally similar tastes to me, and I have to say it'd be Beyers every time, no contest (I'm not a fanboy here!). Rock and K701s do not mix. You might get the odd track that sounds amazing, but a lot of rock is too thrashy to listen to for long with K701s IME. Something slightly 'muted' in the HF range is more suited to rock. K701s sound accurate to and beyond the point of sounding artificial, with a really weird, plasticy thwack sound imposed over rimshots etc, which is one of their major flaws in my eyes. It sounds like someone is tapping the earcup sometimes. The Beyers have a nice presentation with decent, articulate bass.

I'm afraid I've not tried the ESW-9s yet, although I've almost bought some a few times now, but am always put off by the build quality.

Out of the headphones you listed, the Beyers are by far and away the best built. I thought Sennheiser HD600s/HD650s were well made, but the beyers are somehow far better. You won't break them unless you're very careless with them!

I'd say that the K701s are very, veeeeeery slightly comfier than the DT880s due to being a bit less clampy. The K701s did make my ears sweat a lot though, whereas the Beyers do not.

However, that said I'd choose HD650s every time. I used to harp on about my HD580s all the time, but I've recently bought a pair of 650s, and well, they're somehow better to my ears by a good bit than any other headphoes I've heard.

/edit

I see you bought the Beyers (after I'd typed my reply). You dodged a bullet there TBH. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back