Beware!!! I purchased the Matrix-M Stage a month and a half ago, now the soundstage is gone
Aug 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dudefromearth

Head-Fier
I purchased it for my HD800s. The soundstage was great at first, but now it is very thin, only existing in the middle. The "left and right of the soundstage" is non-existent. It is all focused in the middle.

My set up is:

HD800 > Matrix M-Stage > RCA Cables > Nuforce uDAC > USB Slot

To clarify the problem, I plugged the beats by Dr Dre into a 1/4 jack from their native 1/8 jack and inserted that into the Matrix-M Stage: No soundstage. I then put the 1/8 jack of the headphones directly into the computer and the soundstage spreads to the left and right speakers. I then plugged the 1/8 jack of Beats into the uDAC and inserted the uDAC into the USB slot, the soundstage is there.

Beware when buying the Matrix M-Stage from ebay.  It can mess up easily.

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 14
How can you relate a random defect being a result from purchasing from ebay? You should contact the seller to see what he can do for you.

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 14
Open the amp up to see if the capacitors have swelled or burst.  I've heard of cap malfunctions doing strange things to the soundstage.

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 14
If the sound is entirely coming from the middle, with no obvious left and right separation, then you're hearing the music in mono, not stereo. Coul the left and right channels be crossed somehow? Are all the plugs in securely?

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 14
Either in your computer software or physically somewhere in the chain, the left and right channels have crossed, giving you a mono signal, going by your description.  You might wish to go through absolutely everything to see if you can't figure out where things have become crossed.

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #7 of 14
You could have lost the ground pin continuity as well, for instance on the jack socket soldering. Try another pair of headphones to see if the effect repeats and comes from the amplifier. Shorting of both channels in the amplifier is less probable.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #14 of 14
Might be a solder joint break in the headphone jack. Try jiggling the jack and see if you hear anything different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back