Better bass headphones?
Mar 6, 2011 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

jacobj9

New Head-Fier
 I have a pair of Sony XB500s I like the base, but I dont like how you have to turn it up all the way to get that thump, so I looked on and I found the skullcrushers(my brother has some and their very good with producing vibrating head crushing sound) xb700, and ATH-M50, which one should I get if I wont Head pounding ear blowing up bass without having to turn it up LOUD.

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #3 of 41
I would not recommend the skullcrusher headphones as they are cheap headphones mainly for looks.  Skullcandy has some newer line headphones that cost more but sound ok but generally the company was only selling based on marketing and aesthetics and not focused on Sound Quality.

What kind of headphones are you looking for?  It sounds like you want a closed type headphone for better bass response.
Portable headphone or one's you just listen to at home?

I would suggest a pair of Denon's for pretty good lower end response, they're known for bass heavy headphones.

What is your budget like?  Do you want full-sized cans like the Denon AH-DXXX Series... You could try DJ headphones like the Denon DN-HP700 as they are quite closed and have monitor like strong bass.  Audio Technica ATH-WS50 is featured with "Solid Bass" as the DJ version of the ATH-M50 you mentioned.

If you don't need full-sized can's I personally really like the Denon AH-C751s as a IEM or earphone for bass heavy songs.

Ultrasone, a german company makes some pretty nice bass headphones.  If you are willing to amplify it at home you could even try Beyerdynamics DT series

Clear up what you want as in, "Type", "Budget", "Portability", and maybe even brand's sound signature and you can get a better response.

Good Luck

Oh yeah and stay away from Beat's by Dre (they flimsy and overpriced), and skullcandy (they just generally bad).

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 41
I would say my price range is 200 bucks, I listen to mainly hip hop and rap, and yeah Beats suck, portability dont care really, type probably closed type for better bass, thanks.

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #7 of 41
I doubt you will find any headphones that would do what you're looking for better then the XB500 which is the headphone with probably most bass out there (both punchy and deep) except for possibly Scullcrusher with max bass setting. EQing is your next best move or buying an amp with bass boost.

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 41
The creative HQ-1600's have the type of bass that's so powerful it can make you ill on some tracks. It's thunderous. It will smash your face in and leave you for dead and you don't need to turn it up loud to hear this.

The Philips SHP2500's have good bass depth for a pittance.

If you want more natural but powerful sounding bass that is only ever present when it's on the recording then the Prodipe Pro800's are the ticket.

If you like all soppy, boomy bass all the time the the JVC HA-RX700's will work.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 41

Quote:
I doubt you will find any headphones that would do what you're looking for better then the XB500. EQing is your next best move or buying an amp with bass boost.

The Auvio Concert Class phones sound almost exactly the same as the XB500's exept they are much clearer sounding and cost $20 less. Just remove the hard felt off the grill plate and you are good to go.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #10 of 41

Quote:
I doubt you will find any headphones that would do what you're looking for better then the XB500 which is the headphone with probably most bass out there (both punchy and deep) except for possibly Scullcrusher with max bass setting. EQing is your next best move or buying an amp with bass boost.

The bass on the XB500 is bone shattering, but the problem is that you have to blast them to get that bass and my ears can take to much of it before I have to take em off.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 41

Quote:
The bass on the XB500 is bone shattering, but the problem is that you have to blast them to get that bass and my ears can take to much of it before I have to take em off.

What is your source then? I certainly don't have to do on mine and I like listening to lower volume. I doubt you will find any headphones that would deliver more bass at lower volumes, XB500 is already extremely sensitive/easy driven.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #12 of 41

Quote:

I owned a pair and they are not what I would call "bone shattering" at any level. If you really want bass that powerful the Creative HQ-1600's leave the XB500's in the dust, period.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #13 of 41
Somehow I doubt it with a headphone specced 20 - 20kHz (which is what the cheap mainstream headphones usually are), at least it won't deliver the deep rumbling bass of XB500 that can output bass below your hearing capabilities. I like the design of that headphone though very lightweight and nicely oval shaped cups that would fit around your ears nicely.

And don't tell you've listened to XB500 at Best Buy because every1 keeps telling that BB uses some weird source that tames bass on XB500 almost completely.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #14 of 41
Why do I always get the feeling that I'm being ignored on the full-sized forum? What, do you think I go around recommending crappy phones all day for kicks or something??? I have over 400 phones and have listwened to MANY others. I recommended those Creative HQ-1600's on the portable forum and this is what one guy who bought them had to say...

Quote:
Hey Olimoronio, I got the Creative HQ1600 on Friday and I had a chance to listen to them for a few hours. Man - your description was right on! The extension and detail are great, the bass is super tight and fast (just the way I like it)! I love how I can hear the vocalist breath-in before singing on some of the tracks.
IMHO the sound is just amazing - regardless of the price. I was at BestBuy today (to spend my free reward zone gift card) and I listened briefly to the Beats Pro. I cannot believe they are able to charge $400 for them! The low end is so flabby and bloated - there is bass all the time regardless on whether it's on the recording or not. In comparison the HQ1600 are much more accurate, natural but still fun.

On the other hand, I wish the construction on the Creatives was a bit better. Mostly plastic... We'll see how they do in the long run. However; their construction makes them very light and fairly comfortable.

They pair very well with the iPhone 4 - nice crisp high end and nice range. The sound out of my clip+ was warmer but not in a great way. I still need to test them out with my other sources.

But in short - so far I am blown away! I hope they don't become another FOTM set, but who knows...

Take it or leave it I'm out of here.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #15 of 41

Quote:
Somehow I doubt it with a headphone specced 20 - 20kHz (which is what the cheap mainstream headphones usually are), at least it won't deliver the deep rumbling bass of XB500 that can output bass below your hearing capabilities. I like the design of that headphone though very lightweight and nicely oval shaped cups that would fit around your ears nicely.

I never said they would go lower I said the bass that's there is 5 or 6X as powerful. I own them and owned the XB500's... Have you???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back