Better bass headphones?
Mar 6, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #16 of 41
That's the problem - bass isn't just a one dimensional thing like most people seem to think.

Do you want more depth?
Do you want more impact?
Do you want cleaner bass.
Or do you want bass that is ever prevalent and boomy?

People really need to start describing what they want out of their bass.

No matter, I gave recommendations for all of the above.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #17 of 41
Since you seem to have tried over 400 headphones you probably should know if there's any headphone out there that would fit under this description:

Balanced deep (<80Hz) and mid/upper (80~250Hz) bass as in both are about as strong in comparision and there's not any significant roll-off down to 20Hz or so at least and quantity wise it should be at least at XB500 levels. Overall sound signature should be as forward sounding as possible yet having a decent soundstage (width & depth) and preferably quite warm/lush tonal character and mids should be as forward/up-front as possible and highs neutral or slightly on the dark side of neutral and no sibilance should be present and sound rather soft rather than sharp/edgy. Clear instrument separation/transparency isn't the top priority as I'm not looking for any laid-back sounding headphones.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #18 of 41
If you have a good enough source, you've basically just described my impressions of the AIAIAI TMA-1.  Others find them too dark, but I find if they are sufficiently amped, you get exactly what you were asking for.

Quote:
Since you seem to have tried over 400 headphones you probably should know if there's any headphone out there that would fit under this description:

Balanced deep (<80Hz) and mid/upper (80~250Hz) bass as in both are about as strong in comparision and there's not any significant roll-off down to 20Hz or so at least and quantity wise it should be at least at XB500 levels. Overall sound signature should be as forward sounding as possible yet having a decent soundstage (width & depth) and preferably quite warm/lush tonal character and mids should be as forward/up-front as possible and highs neutral or slightly on the dark side of neutral and no sibilance should be present and sound rather soft rather than sharp/edgy. Clear instrument separation/transparency isn't the top priority as I'm not looking for any laid-back sounding headphones.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #19 of 41
The first thing you need to understand is that stated specs mean exactly spit. For example...

I recently bought a pair of $40 Pioneer portables that stated their responce at 12 - 22,000 Hz. I also ordered a pair of Coby's (that's right, Coby's) for $15 that were discontinued that I wanted to try out. The Coby's were rated 20 - 20,000 Hz.

Well, the Coby's smashed and destroyed the Pioneer's both in bass depth and impact.

And I would say try the Auvio Concert Class (remember to remove the hard felt over the lens) and if you don't like 'em, return them.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #20 of 41
I do know the manufacturer specs aren't written in stone, I got a perfect example of that buying Denon D1100 for example that are specced 5Hz - 37kHz that loses in both ends to many others I've tried that are specced far more like 12Hz - 22kHz or whatever but in this case it was a bit more difficult to believe it for a $39 headphone from Creative specced 20 - 20kHz, price, manufacturer and specs are not the most convincing in this case. :p

The Auvio Concert Class headphones seem to be US based and hard to find in europe.

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #21 of 41
The reason for this, of course, is that we can only HEAR from 20Hz-20kHz...

Quote:
I do know the manufacturer specs aren't written in stone, I got a perfect example of that buying Denon D1100 for example that are specced 5Hz - 37kHz that loses in both ends to many others I've tried that are specced far more like 12Hz - 22kHz or whatever but in this case it was a bit more difficult to believe it for a $39 headphone from Creative specced 20 - 20kHz, price, manufacturer and specs are not the most convincing in this case. :p

The Auvio Concert Class headphones seem to be US based and hard to find in europe.

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #22 of 41

Quote:

Yup, RadioShack. Sorry, didn't realise you were from Europe. Let me read you description again.

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #23 of 41
You say warm and lush in one instance then you say mids as forward as possible. This kind of seems like a contradiction to me.

Prodipe Pro800's are made in Europe and have MOST of your requirements down pat. Might want to give those a try.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #29 of 41

Could some members please have some self-respect and not make every single head-fi thread into an argument or "prove I am right" thread.  This behavior doesn't have much benefit to the original poster's question and is similar to kid's bickering at each other.

Quote:
Ive narrowed it down to the dt770 vs the DN-HP1000 which has better bass, one thats bone shattering head throbbing good AT LOWER VOLUME not just blasting

Out of your choices and given your circumstances I would give the Denon sound a try.  Although I'd like to warn you that in general good headphones don't have loud muddy bass.  You have stated that you do not appreciate the Sony Bass extension unless you turn it up.  To me the Denon bass is clear, loud, and generally very good with a large variety of music.

You said you weren't satisfied with sony's XBass, which is a bass heavy headphone, it could mean you were not satisfied with the "type of bass" it was giving.  So this would be going in the right direction.

Another reason I suggest the DN-HP1000s is that they are generally forgiving to the source and amplification.  The Beyers don't sound as good without good amplification as they are high impedance headphones. 

PS: They look pretty sick too.
Good Luck.

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #30 of 41

Users who are viewing this thread

Back