"Best value" iPod line out cable dock?
May 31, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #16 of 52
I would second the recommendation to look around on ebay; there are some great values and cables to be found there.

Jun 3, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warrior05 of S^2 audio makes some nice LOD's at a fair price. Send him a pm.

X2

Jun 3, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #18 of 52
I would suggest stevenkelby. He's made me two in the past and they've been excellent.

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #19 of 52
Having made quite a few LOD's, I can understand the prices of a few...but overall I think it is more expensive than it needs be.

I can tell you that I can finish 2-3 mini-mini braided cables in the time to make 1 LOD. The removing of pins takes time and soldering stranded cables onto those tiny pins is pretty difficult by comparison. You need to score the pins with some sand paper before you solder or they will not stick with solder well.

I literally spent 3 hours to get my very short 5 conductor LOD just perfect with a VERY tight braid. I should post pics...anyways....it doesn't take me nearly as long to do one now!

BTW: Those Solid core silver cables are the easiest to solder together and I have no idea why they cost so much.

Also, you should know that the Microshar cables do not have the other pins removed, use very small laquer coated conductors, and use a commonly availible cable. They are very easy to make. Mine fell apart and I found all of this out. That was motivation for me to start making my own and for friends.

Jun 4, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having made quite a few LOD's, I can understand the prices of a few...but overall I think it is more expensive than it needs be.

I can tell you that I can finish 2-3 mini-mini braided cables in the time to make 1 LOD. The removing of pins takes time and soldering stranded cables onto those tiny pins is pretty difficult by comparison. You need to score the pins with some sand paper before you solder or they will not stick with solder well.

I literally spent 3 hours to get my very short 5 conductor LOD just perfect with a VERY tight braid. I should post pics...anyways....it doesn't take me nearly as long to do one now!

BTW: Those Solid core silver cables are the easiest to solder together and I have no idea why they cost so much.

Also, you should know that the Microshar cables do not have the other pins removed, use very small laquer coated conductors, and use a commonly availible cable. They are very easy to make. Mine fell apart and I found all of this out. That was motivation for me to start making my own and for friends.

Does this post follow the need of the OP?
He need suggestions, not how to do it or how much it cost or how you do that.

Jun 4, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #21 of 52
stevenkelby, hands down. I would choose him over any major cable business/company any day.
cool.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #23 of 52
I find it amusing how barqy recommends other DIY'ers cables when he sells his own awesome cables for cheap as well :O! You are just too modest barqy :p

Jun 4, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it amusing how barqy recommends other DIY'ers cables when he sells his own awesome cables for cheap as well :O! You are just too modest barqy :p

Is that called honesty? Yeah right. Bargy doesn't have any clue of professional ethics, at all. He did not learned that in school. His comments speak for it self. He can fool some of you. Not me.

Heavy Metal, all the way!!

TURBO

Jun 4, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #25 of 52
If you already have a decent mini-to-mini cable consider a SendStation Line Out USB. I like it because it lets me use a short, quality Cardas mini-to-mini cable with my portable amp, and then use a longer (and cheaper) mini-to-mini cable to connect my iPod to my car stereo.

SendStation - Products - PocketDock Line Out USB

At $30 it's not dirt cheap, but it serves multiple purposes for me and it clearly sounds better than amping from the headphone jack. That said, I can't offer a SQ comparison to some of the LODs listed here.

Jun 5, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #27 of 52
Sorry for asking noob Qn:
Why do we need Line Out? Why can't use existing earphone out?
If Line Out is connected to headphone straight-away, will it produce better SQ? If yes, why?

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #28 of 52
From what I know using a LOD bypasses some crappy parts such as the internal amp so you get a much cleaner sound but is only suitable if you have an external amp so you can control the volume.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #29 of 52
The Head Direct ZY ZN7 seems to be a great deal at $30. Can anyone comment on the quality of the wires and IC? I'm thinking about getting one to pair with a ipod and iBasso D2 Boa.

Head-Direct.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back