"Best value" iPod line out cable dock?
Jun 14, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralfale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys

Quick check. Purely in terms of SQ, is DIY cables comparable or even better than more common brands ones like ALO?

From my experience, definitely. I'm going to purchase cables only from DIY folk from now on, because to me it's the best harmony of price and performance.

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Guys

Quick check. Purely in terms of SQ, is DIY cables comparable or even better than more common brands ones like ALO?

Depends who's making them. If I hacked one together the build quality would probably be a lot worse than that of an experienced builder.

However, companies like ALO are just that: DIY by experienced builders. There's no reason an experienced cable maker like stevenkelby (for example) can't make equally if not more solid cables.

In terms of SQ, if you string the same wire between the same two points with the same materials at both ends, I don't see how they'd be different (notwithstanding the fact that they wouldn't change SQ anyway because they're cables).

Quote:

Any particular model for silver lod you will recommend?

Contact stevenkelby or barqy. I've seen silver cables made by both of them. I'm sure others make them too. I can personally vouch for the quality of stevenkelby's work.

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #34 of 52
ooh DIY silver cables.. i'll check them out!!

so qables good? i was looking at the silvercab pro.. which has 1%gold.. any idea how much difference that makes?

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ooh DIY silver cables.. i'll check them out!!

so qables good? i was looking at the silvercab pro.. which has 1%gold.. any idea how much difference that makes?

Audibly? None.

Jun 29, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #36 of 52
I got a very cheap LOD cable from 'wemakeamp' on eBay, which is a Hong Kong 'built' cable, featuring Canare cable, with 'Golden Gun' 24K gold plug at the mini end.

I paid the BIN price, and IIRC paid about £7 inc P&P to the UK (about $14). However, if you win an auction rather than using BIN, I'm sure you can get them for more like $6.

In my opinion, at that price point, DIY becomes obsolete for all but cosmetic, specific size / length, and 'reward of building your own cable' reasons.

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #37 of 52
I've been looking at buying a line out dock cable for a while, but in the vast majority of cases the prices being asked seem ridiculous. The recent acquisition of a RSA Hornet care of eBay spurred me on even more and I happened upon what imho must be just about the best option available, especially if you don't want to be lugging around a lump of cable snaking out of your pocket.

IPOD LINE OUT DOCK WITH CABLE & PLUG (BLACK COLOR) on eBay, also Other, Audio Cables Connectors, A V Accessories Cables, Consumer Electronics (end time 18-Jul-08 02:24:19 BST)

Its from AW Audio Accessory in Hong Kong and it cost me £17 ($33) inc postage as a buy it now and, although I've bought many things on eBay that have been a absolute bargain, this is one that really does put a great big smile on my face because it is perfect workmanship at a very fare price and the international delivery took less than a week.

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #38 of 52
Punnisher makes a ridiculous LOD. Also, Turbo makes a great one, which i swore by until I got Punnishers. Support your DIY scene.

As far as commercial variants go, Qables and ALO....support your sponsors, lol.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Punnisher makes a ridiculous LOD. Also, Turbo makes a great one, which i swore by until I got Punnishers. Support your DIY scene.

As far as commercial variants go, Qables and ALO....support your sponsors, lol.

I assume by ridiculous you mean awsome?
I have one of Punnisher's low profile LOD made of great quality. They are the ones to get for a truly portable system.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #40 of 52
Yeah, ridiculously awesome
biggrin.gif

lol

Jul 13, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ratdog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Head Direct ZY ZN7 seems to be a great deal at $30. Can anyone comment on the quality of the wires and IC? I'm thinking about getting one to pair with a ipod and iBasso D2 Boa.

Head-Direct.com

I bought one of these guys... couldn't ask for more. very high quality build, good sound, looks snazzy. Best deal outside of DIYers

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #43 of 52
I raise another hand in favor of Stevenkelby's work, he does products with excellent quality and he is a superb seller!! He might give you a nice surprise when you buy from him.
If every seller in the world would be like him, the world would be a better place!
Really, PM him and he will kindly answer any question you could have.

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by dancekat59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'm definitely not a DIY-er as I've never owned or used a soldering gun. ;o) There's so many options and price levels that it makes it hard for me to make a decision... <sigh>

Hi, I have some ipod line out dock with cable, you can click this link to our ebay store : eBay Store - AW Audio accessory: Portable Audio accessory

If you have any question, please let me know.
Thanks
Andrew

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by awwan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I have some ipod line out dock with cable, you can click this link to our ebay store : eBay Store - AW Audio accessory: Portable Audio accessory

If you have any question, please let me know.
Thanks
Andrew

I am not sure if you are allowed to promote your own products in one of these threads especially if you are a member of the trade ?

Having said that , I have one of your ipod line out docks and it works wonderfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back