BEST VALUE ''around 100-300$'' CHIFI & NEWCOMERS IEM with REFERENCE List (no BIG brands here)
Jun 30, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #466 of 592
I really like your detailed write up. Don't mind me asking, between H40 and I3, which would be more recommended if I liked the Starfield but I wanted more controlled/less boomy bass with the same amount of impact/strength, same or more amount of detail, slightly more sparkle, but as non-sibilant as the Starfrield?

What I'd term is as the "ideal" sound for me is actually a cross between the Tin P1 + the Starfield. I listen to a lot of mix of genre, acoustic, intrumentals (piano, classical guitar, jazz) but I also want to enjoy my EDM/electronic music.

Thanks in advance!

I think the H40 will suit your requirement since the H40 have bigger bass with big presentation, weighty notes, large soundstage, just maybe the "more controlled bass" isn't the best aspect of H40, the decay isn't fast with H40 although they are quiet clean, not intruding mids area, while i3 may have tighter bass, but they dont sound as big as H40 and have 3khz pinna gain peak that can be shouty on higher volume level.
Actually the i3 have benefits on mids, being faster and little bit more detailed with more depth thanks to their planar driver, acoustic and instrumentals are rendered at their best, so i think in this case maybe the i3 fits your bill more. Im a little bit confused here because your requirements, but on other side the genre you are listening is match for i3. for pop, pop-rock, all around needs i still prefer H40 over i3, but for acoustic and instrumentals only, like I said i3 have benefit from their planar mids. Hard decision i know, both are great IEMs

Jun 30, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #467 of 592
I think the H40 will suit your requirement since the H40 have bigger bass with big presentation, weighty notes, large soundstage, just maybe the "more controlled bass" isn't the best aspect of H40, the decay isn't fast with H40 although they are quiet clean, not intruding mids area, while i3 may have tighter bass, but they dont sound as big as H40 and have 3khz pinna gain peak that can be shouty on higher volume level.
Actually the i3 have benefits on mids, being faster and little bit more detailed with more depth thanks to their planar driver, acoustic and instrumentals are rendered at their best, so i think in this case maybe the i3 fits your bill more. Im a little bit confused here because your requirements, but on other side the genre you are listening is match for i3. for pop, pop-rock, all around needs i still prefer H40 over i3, but for acoustic and instrumentals only, like I said i3 have benefit from their planar mids. Hard decision i know, both are great IEMs

Thanks for sharing your views and experience. Indeed I can see that my preference is quite divisive in the way that both H40 and I3 somehow have their places. In situations like this, and especially my budget, perhaps I have to accept that there is no one IEM that fit the bill, it really depends what I'm listening and what IEM best matches at that moment.

Now throw in the Penon Orb that is getting good feedback, and things seem to be more difficult for me :smile:. It would be easier if I have access to audition these IEMs but sadly not where I am from.

Thanks again!

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #469 of 592
I have both H40 and i3. I use H40 for rock, r&b, hip hop, kpop and i3 for classical and jazz music.

I personally like the NF Audio NA2 more for its accurate timbre and better PRaT.

Which fares better for vocals and has less sibilance in your opinion?

And you orefer the NF Audio NA2 over the H40 and i3? 0.o

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #470 of 592
Which fares better for vocals and has less sibilance in your opinion?

And you orefer the NF Audio NA2 over the H40 and i3? 0.o

For vocals, H40 has slightly more forward and weighted Mids thus I prefer it over i3.
i3 pulls little more details out of the midrange, but they are slightly recessed and less emotive.

I listen to classical music 80%+ of time and yes NF Audio NA2 for me is better tuned IEM than the rest ( i3, H40, Blessing 2, L3, Bl-03, Tape, Diamond, etc.)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #471 of 592
For vocals, H40 has slightly more forward and weighted Mids thus I prefer it over i3.
i3 pulls little more details out of the midrange, but they are slightly recessed and less emotive.

I listen to classical music 80%+ of time and yes NF Audio NA2 for me is better tuned IEM than the rest ( i3, H40, Blessing 2, L3, Bl-03, Tape, Diamond, etc.)

Thanks @tgx78 that is really telling. Appreciate your points :)

Jun 30, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #472 of 592

i concur and that exactly what i heard about their mids. I said that before also the H40 have more forwarded mids with less shouty and more balanced, combined with that weighty notes. The i3, thanks to their planar drivers, managed to pull out a little bit micro details, but they have upper mids peak, particularly on 3khz region so female vocals can be shouty at times, not all the times

Jul 4, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #474 of 592
Any Chi-Fi at this price range can KO Sony N3AP?
Like better bass, natural and smooth high, wide stage.

H40 have similar presentation. At first i listened to them, made me remember to N3. Maybe N3 have more punch on bass, but H40 have similar tune overall with more wider soundstage and sense of space. But "better bass" im afraid isnt there. Sony have great and clean bass quality.

Jul 5, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #476 of 592
Hey guys. I'm looking to upgrade my IKKO OH1. Anything better in the 100-300 range?

Jul 5, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #477 of 592
I don’
Hey guys. I'm looking to upgrade my IKKO OH1. Anything better in the 100-300 range?
I haven’t heard the OH1, but in that price range, there are a ton of great options available. It really would depend one what you’re looking for. A lot of bass, or more neutral. Very mid-centric, with sweet sounding vocals, or more overall balanced. Tame treble, or tremendous treble detail, etc.

Off the top of my head, some IEMs to look into include:
- Penon Orb - very good bass and mids, especially for vocals.
- Mangird Tea - mid-centric, with good sub bass.
- Ikko OH10
- ThieAudio Legacy 3 - not necessarily an “upgrade”, but it has a very nice, fun, balanced sound.
- AudioSense T800 - a lot of bass for an all-BA IEM, but with bright treble.
- ISN H40 - fun, dynamic, lively sounding.
- JVC x Drop FDX1 - neutral with some elevated bass, cool and analytic sounding, but with great timbre and very detailed sounding. Will probably need some tinkering to sound the way you want them to.
- Moondrop Blessing 2 - neutral, detailed. A little more than $300.......others will add to the list I’m sure.

Edit: If you really like a Harman-tuned IEM, there is the Moondrop KXXS/Starfield or the Tanchjim Oxygen.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #479 of 592
Jul 28, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #480 of 592

Users who are viewing this thread

Back