Best unamped portable cans?
Jun 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #33 of 41
Best no holds barred portable I have used/owned is the AT ESW10.  Pricey, but they sound AWESOME!

I've owned Ultrasone HFI780's, same headband and cups as the 680 as far as I know.  They are pretty vice like on the head, and have a VERY aggressive, bright sound signature to go along with their impressive bass.  Search my user id for 2 or 3 threads that detail a bunch of work I did on the 780's to get them close to what I was looking for.  I had a blast doing the work, got pretty close, and eventually parted ways with them to fund my journey into the Denon range.

Jun 24, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #34 of 41
I went for the HD 25's.

I have to say, they are AWESOME. The isolation is like no other can I've tried, its almost comparable to IEMs.

Comfort-wise they aren't too bad either. Ofcourse they aren't as comfy as a full-size can but i can use them for extended periods of time without too much discomfort. I suppose the pads and headband will loosen up while time goes by which will make them even more comfy.

I haven't experienced the "death-grip" many headfiers complain about. I found the headband a lot less tight than i expected it to be. Maybe Sennheiser made some small changes in the headband? They surely must have made some changes to the HD 25 II compared to the HD 25-1 II apart from having a straight plug instead of an angled one.

They are indeed easy to drive and they sound very good out of my iPod. I wonder how they will sound with a Cowon i9 which i just ordered.

Jun 24, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #35 of 41
Glad you're enjoying them! A friend of mine has a pair, still haven't gotten round to checking them out..

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #39 of 41

Quote:
here's another recommendation on es10 being the best unamped portable
though i sold them and kinda miss them now

Mind me asking why you sold the ES10s?

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #41 of 41
Of the few that I've heard so far, I would say the Audio Technica ES10 are the best portable unamped. I do have some others on my list to try that could give them a tough competition, including Audio Technica ESW10, Sony Z1000, V-moda M80, and the as-yet-unrealeased V-Moda M100. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back