Best Sub-150 USD Cans
Mar 6, 2011 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

anthroguy101

New Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. They are the best cans I've owned so far, and have lasted me for three years at least. I must admit that I am not an audiophile because I don't have that much money to shell out and haven't had time to compare. I've been making a little wish list and wanted your opinion on what you think is the best.

I listen to all kinds of music, with the exception of jazz, classical, and Justin Bieber. My favorite genres, though, are punk, post-grunge and alternative (in that order).

On my wish list, I have compiled from research:

Shure SRH440
Shure SRH 550 DJ*
Shure SRH 750 DJ*
Audio Technica M50
Sony MDR XB 700**
Sennheiser HD 518
Grado Prestige SR-60i
Grado Prestige SR-80i

*Would DJ headphones be good for general listening?

**I've had a ton of reliability issues with Sony, and it usually has to deal with one of the speakers going out. I am very skeptical of any Sony product's durability.

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 11
DJ headphones would be fine for general listening

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 11
i used to own the shure srh750dj. had them for 2 months and quite enjoyed them. very bass heavy. they are over all very fun cans. but i have heard the m50s are better. but the m50s have gone up in price. its all up to you. i now have the shure srh840s and they are amazing but they are usually $199.99 but i got them for $129.99 so if you get them on sale i would say they are 1 of of the best up there. definitely the best i have heard.

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 11
IMO, if you want:

More Bass, go for the
-m50s
-750 Djs
-XB700

More Balanced/Bright go for the
-grado sr80i
srh-440/800

Dont know about the sennheisers.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 11
open: SR80
closed: SRH840

I love the Shures, but (like all almost all closed headphones) they are not enjoyable as good open headphones.  SR80 to these ears are almost as good as closed D7000 at about 1/10 the price.  You need to figure out if you need open or closed and take it from there.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 11
I've tried most of those and in the end I preferred the Koss Pro DJ 100. It's quite an impressive headphone and totally under-appreciated on here.

It's super cheap and sounds better than a lot of headphones under $200. It totally seems to go against what I think a DJ headphone would sound like.
It has slightly forward mids and sounds especially good with female vocals. Probably one of the best I've heard for a budget headphone. It has a lot of bass, but it's not quite bass heavy. Pretty close. The highs are slightly rolled off. Despite all this, the sound still feels quite well balanced, but still is fun to listen to.

Even with all my more expensive headphones I still listen to the DJ100 every day. I've got the MDR-V6 pads on mine.

Basically I prefer them to the K240 Studio AND Sextett, SRH-840, MDR-V6, ESW9a, M50, M30, DT-235, HFI-680, SR-80, SRH-440 and basically everything under $200. I'm hoping I can find a headphone under $200 I like more. HD-598 is close.

Oh yeah and it's only $80! The bad news is that it does need an amp. The $25 E5 is the bare minimum and this is also assuming that one uses them with a larger MP3 player like the Ipod Touch or Zune HD.
The sound unamped isn't horrible, but I can't honestly suggest them without some type of amp.

Second suggestion is the SRH-840, but the fit is terrible. Those sound good unamped. M50 isn't bad, but I prefer more forward mids. It's not a bad option. I don't think they're worth $150 though, but $110 is fair.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 11
IMO, if you want:

More Bass, go for the
-m50s
-750 Djs
-XB700

More Balanced/Bright go for the
-grado sr80i
srh-440/800

Dont know about the sennheisers.
Yes, more bass, that's what I'm looking for. Something with excellent bass but is not overpowering to the point that I get fatigue after the first ten minutes. What is the best of those three?

I've tried most of those and in the end I preferred the Koss Pro DJ 100. It's quite an impressive headphone and totally under-appreciated on here.

It's super cheap and sounds better than a lot of headphones under $200. It totally seems to go against what I think a DJ headphone would sound like.
It has slightly forward mids and sounds especially good with female vocals. Probably one of the best I've heard for a budget headphone. It has a lot of bass, but it's not quite bass heavy. Pretty close. The highs are slightly rolled off. Despite all this, the sound still feels quite well balanced, but still is fun to listen to.

Even with all my more expensive headphones I still listen to the DJ100 every day. I've got the MDR-V6 pads on mine.

Basically I prefer them to the K240 Studio AND Sextett, SRH-840, MDR-V6, ESW9a, M50, M30, DT-235, HFI-680, SR-80, SRH-440 and basically everything under $200. I'm hoping I can find a headphone under $200 I like more. HD-598 is close.

Oh yeah and it's only $80! The bad news is that it does need an amp. The $25 E5 is the bare minimum and this is also assuming that one uses them with a larger MP3 player like the Ipod Touch or Zune HD.
The sound unamped isn't horrible, but I can't honestly suggest them without some type of amp.

Second suggestion is the SRH-840, but the fit is terrible. Those sound good unamped. M50 isn't bad, but I prefer more forward mids. It's not a bad option. I don't think they're worth $150 though, but $110 is fair.
I'm looking for anything under 150 USD asking price, which accounts for any and all discounts. I am most certainly not going to pay for an amp.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Yes, more bass, that's what I'm looking for. Something with excellent bass but is not overpowering to the point that I get fatigue after the first ten minutes. What is the best of those three?

M50's: Strong bass
750dj: Stronger bass
XB700's: Extreme bass 
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
M50's: Strong bass
750dj: Stronger bass
XB700's: Extreme bass 
biggrin.gif

haha, but keep in mind, the XB700 have more of a BOOMY bass, with more recessed mids

the Shures and m50 are quite similar in bass

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 11
The 750DJ's and M50 match up decently. Though I have read that the 750 has bass that overwhelms the mids more than the M50 but still minimal.
I think the M50 has the most bass you can have before you can start calling them unbalanced or colored headphones.

Anyways, They are both awesome.
Now you just gotta choose what looks suit you best. (take in mind comfort also though. 750DJ has more comfort issues than the M50 IMO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back