Best Sub $150 for ALL genres?
May 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jorich

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I listen to a lot of different types of music. I'm afraid if I get a pair of headphones that I am not going to be able to listen to them with all of my music. And I definitely don't have enough money to buy multiple pairs, so that's out of the question. I listen to Hip Hop, Rap, Country, Vocals Only, Dubstep, Violin Music. So, as you can see, there is a pretty wide variety there. Does anyone know a pair of headphones that pretty much performs in every area pretty well for under $150?

Some of what I am looking for are:
  1. Closed or open, I don't care because noise leakage and isolation isn't really one of my concerns.
  2. No amp needed, I might get an amp later on but it might be a while, so I want something I can use without an amp.
  3. Maybe a good soundstage, I have never really listened to headphones with a good soundstage so I don't have an experience to assosciate this sound with really.
  4. I like to listen to songs where it might just be a piano and someone singing, so I would like to hear the mids and highs pretty well.
  5. I also listen to songs with a lot of bass so I like to be able to tell there is bass. Bass is important mostly when I listen to dubstep. I don't want overpowering bass though, becuase that usually gets rid of mids and highs.
  6. I don't care what they look like, headphones are meant for me to enjoy my music, not so that I can please everyone who gets to see me wearing them.
  7. I don't really care about how portable they are. Portability is nice, but I don't mind lugging around a big pair of headphones that don't fold up or anything, AS LONG AS THEY SOUND GOOD I'M HAPPY!

So I have really been searching these forums a lot and haven't really found anything. I'm actually afraid there probably isn't a good all around headphones at the $150 and under price range, but you guys might surprise me. I was considering the M50's but I hear that the mids are really bad on them and I wouldn't enjoy that while listening to songs with the violin and mostly vocals. And I wanted to get some HD580 or HD600 but they are out of my price range. I also am considering learning to play keyboard so if I get a keyboard I might want to use them with it so that I don't disturb everyone with my playing, but I do not want to base my needs around this, I would rather meet the needs that are bullet pointed above first. I also was looking at sony XB series but I have heard that they would not perform in the mids and highs because the bass is so overpowering. I don't have enough experience with headphones other than my crappy Skullcandy headphones that I have owned and I would really like to move on from them. I lost the tips to my Skullcandy earphones and I don't even think I am going to replace them. I just use my TurtleBeach Earforce X11's for music right now, so I am in need of some headphones right now. Thanks guys, because I have been going insane lately searching for headphones, damn whoever got me started on my first headphones upgrade, because it just keeps going from there. My never ending search to improve my audio experience... looks like I have caught the Head-Fi fever that effects my wallet more than anything.

May 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 10
By Price:

1.)  Creative Aurvana Live!

2.)  Sony MDR-ZX700

3.)  Audio Technica ATH-M50

The M50 to my ears is the most competent on the list, but some prefer the MDR-ZX700.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audio-technica-ath-m50-page-2

Another good option is the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 which is an open headphone.  They lack bass, but the mids are really smooth and the soundstage is excellent.

If it were me I would not hesitate to purchase the ATH-M50 as they are a great headphone at the $100 - $150 range and remain on my Top 10 list.

May 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
By Price:

1.)  Creative Aurvana Live!

2.)  Sony MDR-ZX700

3.)  Audio Technica ATH-M50

The M50 to my ears is the most competent on the list, but some prefer the MDR-ZX700.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audio-technica-ath-m50-page-2

Another good option is the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 which is an open headphone.  They lack bass, but the mids are really smooth and the soundstage is excellent.

If it were me I would not hesitate to purchase the ATH-M50 as they are a great headphone at the $100 - $150 range and remain on my Top 10 list.

I checked out some of those headphones and they all look pretty good. I am not sure if I want the extra bass of the m50's and giving up the mids or if I would want the more forward mids of the ATH-AD700 or the MDR-ZX700. Also out of the ATH-AD700 and the MDR-ZX700 which would you prefer over the other? I found them both for around $80-$90.

May 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 10
for you my friend, beats by dre will be the best option. They have superior noise cancelling, and have excellent sound quality. I know head fi has gotten quite a bit of hatred for the beats, but the base will rock your bones.

May 30, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
for you my friend, beats by dre will be the best option. They have superior noise cancelling, and have excellent sound quality. I know head fi has gotten quite a bit of hatred for the beats, but the base will rock your bones.

I actually really don't care for them, a lot of my friends at school have them and I think they are really over priced for what the sound quality is. I feel like they provide such an artificial sound almost I suppose. It is hard to describe but I really do not like them.

May 30, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 10
Take a look through this buying guide and do some research on the ones that appeal to you:  http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

May 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 10
I have been looking around the site here more and I have seen the Ultrasone HFI-580's get recommended a couple times. Supposedly they  are supposed to have more bass with an improvement from the mids of the M50's. Do these headphones have good highs as well? From what I have read they may be a better alternative to the M50's for an all around headphone.

May 31, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 10
Go with the MDR-ZX700 over the AD700.  The AD700 is going to be pretty boring if you are expecting any bass out of them.

Sony MDR-ZX700
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRZX700.pdf

ATH-AD700
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2661

I still suggest the ATH-M50.  They sound better to my ears than the AD700 and the charts are much more quality than the MDR-ZX700.  Based on the charts alone I cannot recommend the MDR-ZX700, but Tyll felt they sounded a tad better than the M50.

I have compared the ATH-M50 to the HFI-580 and the ATH-M50 still reigns supreme.

May 31, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 10
I'd seriously recommend the hidden gem Denon DN-HP700 for around $100 (In europe it's like ~140 EUR+). Very good allrounder, it's been compared to the higher end Denons and isn't far away from that sound. It has a bit boosted midbass but nothing that will distract overall quality and what's there is of excellent quality, snappy, texture and controlled, the mids are very clear and quite forward as well as the highs are very clear and slightly sparkly, ever so slightly too much sparkle for my personal taste but I'm a fan of slightly warmer sound. It's been compared to headphones 2x-3x its price, it's that good, suprisingly good soundstage, in my personal opinion it stomps over M50, especially in midrange microdetail and it's also more forward. I sold mine based on subbass-roll off and slightly too sparkly but I'm missing that soundstage especially.

May 31, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
I have been looking around the site here more and I have seen the Ultrasone HFI-580's get recommended a couple times. Supposedly they  are supposed to have more bass with an improvement from the mids of the M50's. Do these headphones have good highs as well? From what I have read they may be a better alternative to the M50's for an all around headphone.

The HFI 580 is an excellent headphone for EDM, but the somewhat harsh highs are rather distracting. If you're a fan of clean treble sparkle, the HFI 580 will be a good choice. It's a fun can with very strong bass impact. Between the HFI 580 and the M50, I'll go with the former.

Quote:
I'd seriously recommend the hidden gem Denon DN-HP700 for around $100 (In europe it's like ~140 EUR+). Very good allrounder, it's been compared to the higher end Denons and isn't far away from that sound. It has a bit boosted midbass but nothing that will distract overall quality and what's there is of excellent quality, snappy, texture and controlled, the mids are very clear and quite forward as well as the highs are very clear and slightly sparkly, ever so slightly too much sparkle for my personal taste but I'm a fan of slightly warmer sound. It's been compared to headphones 2x-3x its price, it's that good, suprisingly good soundstage, in my personal opinion it stomps over M50, especially in midrange microdetail and it's also more forward. I sold mine based on subbass-roll off and slightly too sparkly but I'm missing that soundstage especially.

I second the recommendation for the Denon DJ HP700.  I've auditioned it many times and found the sound more forward and engaging than the M50. The bass on the Denons are also better than the M50, with more punch and impact.

The M50 is a good headphone, but I think there are others in the price range that are just as capable, if not better. Moreover, the price of the M50 seems to be on the upward trend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back