CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 11, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #5,101 of 31,831
Pleasantly surprised at how nice these are. Like an Auglamor RT-1 but with more low end focus, texture, and impact. Not for the bass averse.

20171211_192751.jpg

Dec 11, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #5,102 of 31,831
Pleasantly surprised at how nice these are. Like an Auglamor RT-1 but with more low end focus, texture, and impact. Not for the bass averse.

This brand kinda look interesting...especially there 6BA IEM that I barely buy at 11/11 sale.

So 1 quality dynamic driver for 22$ or 35$ with the fancy cable (look nice!)....by bassy you mean quality bass that doesnt eat the mids??? Did you have the NICEHCK BRO, comparaison with those could be interesting:)

Dec 11, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #5,103 of 31,831
Actually i have no Idea If they sound the same, the Black and metallic one. I've seen people be positive about the Black ones here, don't relembre Where. The drivers seem the same, you can verify the specs. But most probably they have some difference.

Pretty sure @mbwilson111 has tried both, and prefers the black one over the water drop silver one.

Not sure if the silver one was too bright for her, or if it was the fitment, or what.

Dec 11, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #5,105 of 31,831

Finally got ASRJ AM09 and as promised, impressions are here:

It comes in a nice box with 3 pairs of tips only, nothing else (on the back it says 10mm dynamic driver which is hilarious). As soon as I touched the cable I knew that this was not a bad purchase, I paid 25 euros and cable alone is worth it - it has no kinks because it was packaged properly, very good looking and it doesn't have memory wire, it's just molded to go over ears, proper strain relieves everywhere and it has a finish between rubber and silicone which feels very premium to the touch - simply a delight.
Then I put them in, listened for about 5 seconds and pretty much wanted to discard this abomination. Luckily I didn't do that and I let them play for two hours. This is the first time that burn in dramatically changed something for me, they went from very shouty to something that actually sounds remotely ok. They still had unbearable peak at 7-8K which is a game breaker for me but some tips reduced it and then I tried them with Spinfit Twinblade which completely removed it (stock tips are very generic and not small enough for deep insertion).

I am still getting used to this brain penetration that this IEM does, but currently it is very worth it, even if it's kinda hurtful and uncomfortable. I haven't regularly used deep insertion IEMs for quite some time.

They sound like they remove most of the warmth and put it into details, big time. Bass and sub are very anemic, much more than something neutral, they do exist to some extent, although things sound like a small thump rather than a good boom. Even as quiet as it is, it can distort which is just funny when it happens. Mid range and treble are beyond my ability to explain, the amount of details is frankly insane. They are obviously bright sounding overall, but this amount of micro details and transparency makes them very unique. Unlike most single BA IEMs these have an amazing top end extension. They aren't sibilant though, just bearably harsh all the time (this might change more after a longer burn in, who knows). Sound stage is nicely done but depth is amazing, imaging precise enough (although it kinda feels like it should be better given the overall transparency). Vocals and instruments lack some of the weight, but this is something that brain gets used to quickly and I only notice it a couple of minutes after starting listening session. These go to extremes, pretty much one of the most detailed sounds I've heard regardless of price with crippling bass that just has no place with the rest of the sound. This BA is very good and should be used in combination with a woofer BA or DD, although you'd probably add back that terrible peak due to a shallower fit...

Overall, even after a relatively short time with these small monsters, I think that ASRJ has created the best value I've heard in an IEM, it easily dethrones my HiFiMAN re400 which I bought for the same amount of money - AM09 being not as good all around but a much better experience if you can tolerate anemic bass and can appreciate insane levels of details. These require tip rolling and different depths to find one combination which removes most of that nasty peak, they also require some time as they are very bad ootb - all of these things made a huge difference in the end, more than I've ever experienced with an IEM in the past.

“Hurtful...uncomfortable...and bearably harsh all of the time”?

Good lord!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #5,106 of 31,831

"...They aren't sibilant though, just bearably harsh all the time..."
Another Brainheiser? Sounds like the SEAF AWK-009 which I bought upon your recommendation...they are totally unusable as the treble drills into one's brain.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #5,107 of 31,831
Pretty sure @mbwilson111 has tried both, and prefers the black one over the water drop silver one.
Not sure if the silver one was too bright for her, or if it was the fitment, or what.

I just found the silver one to be a bit brighter... not that I could not have used it, just that I knew my husband wanted it anyway so I gave it to him because at the time I prefered my Einsear T2 to it anyway. Then I had an excuse to try the black one (E-MI CI 780 (C610) Hybrid) when Amazon had a lightning deal. And I do like the black one. It is small and comfortable and to me it sounds good and was more the type of sound I like than the silver one was. Been listening to too many different bud, iems, and headphones lately so right now I can't really say more than that.

Others will prefer the silver one. I don't think I have seen anything talked about on these forums where everyone agrees.

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #5,108 of 31,831
I don't think I have seen anything talked about on these forums where everyone agrees.

Its fun to disagree:wink: It open perspective and make the vibe more nuanced when it occur.

Did you discover great IEM in the batch you try lately....like one pair that stand out of all others?

Dec 12, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #5,109 of 31,831
Dec 12, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #5,110 of 31,831
“Hurtful...uncomfortable...and bearably harsh all of the time”?

Good lord!

Hurtful and uncomfortable due to a fit, it's the same with any deep insertion IEM until you get used to it, usually a couple of days.
Bearably harsh though, there is no going around it, it's just another flaw in the sound that these have, mostly due to a small BA not being able to keep up with the power.

Dec 12, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #5,111 of 31,831
The design of shells resemble the Shure SE846. Who knows, maybe they sound better than the Shures. Just kidding.:beyersmile:

They are the ASY Hybrid that I ordered that fell apart after one listen. They're made by Bellsing Acoustic Tech Ltd..

BTW that seller is banned from Headfi and Audiobudget are now basically a shop window for them and HCK

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #5,112 of 31,831
Looking back your site...quite a change!
Check the ''on our turntables'' picks....not very diversify mustly rock and indie but I see SLINT wich is nice....not bad choice, just surprise there any classical, jazz or electronic. Is it the albums you use for reviews?

But more specifically, i'm curious to know where to find the PMH hybrid?

It would be quite interesting to have an idea of IEM price you reviews too, just sayin, cause even budget 10 or 50 is quite a difference.

@loomisjohnson is the resident music critic, I've been meaning to write some album reviews but there's been a lot going on at home so haven't had the time to sit down and write stuff. Same reason I've got a backlog of IEMs to do as well. Loomis also does the abridged IEM reviews. He's got a talented ear.

The PMH are Penon's - I don't link to sellers as I'm not biased in anyway, plus prices change so much. A simple google on the IEM will bring up prices and sellers.

You'll note some reviewers will mention who gave them the kit and some other reviewers even get affiliate link kickbacks (now that must really influence impartiality). Not me, 100% independent on budget reviews.

Dec 12, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #5,115 of 31,831
Update on ASRJ AM09, right side made a loud 'pop' and sound was completely gone after that. Kinda unexpected given the build quality. RIP, you were interesting while you lasted!

Oooo, tell me there was a small puff of angry pixie smoke too? Gotta have that haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back