CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 13, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #2,762 of 31,832
Hello! Long time lurker of Head-Fi but this will be my first post. So, my dog ate my 4-year old VSonic GR07 Classic and I am currently looking for a replacement for sub-$50. I tried backreading through all these threads, including the Chinese/Asian one, but got confused with all the various earphones being tested (and is hard to backread through 2000+ pages). I really loved GR07's sound signature of being balanced/neutral to v-shaped. Other iems I've had are the Xiaomi Pistons (seems a bit bass heavy), VSonics VSD1S, VSD3S, VSD5S (also loved this, albeit poor cable quality), Soundmagic E10, ES18, SHE3580. I also have an ATH-M50x and NAD Viso HP50, both of which I love sound-wise. With these preferences, can you help out on picking a Chi-Fi for 50$ or less, preferably with a better cable quality than the VSonics. Would be better if you could give around three recommendations since shipping to our country is not that easy. Thanking in advance for your recommendations.

TL;DR Looking for a sub-$50 Chi-Fi with similar sound signature to VSonic GR07.

**** XBA 6in1 can be describ as ''balanced/neutral to v-shaped'' but I don't know how GR07 mids sound, XBA are more kind of U shaped.

Tennmak Piano and Pro can be good choice too, find them both bassy but way less than dulcimer (i prefer the Pro).

And for iem that will not make you cry if your dog ate them (about 12$) but will impress by a real mid-fi sound: Superlux HD381B or F(fowards mids-vocals).

(by your iem and headphones choice I conclude you like bass too:))

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #2,763 of 31,832
Hey @Nymphonomaniac, thanks for your recommendations! Well, I do not hate bass that's for sure, but I like earphones that are able to separate instruments since I listen to a wide genre of music, from country folk to metal so I prefer "balanced/neutral" so I need not to change earphones when having listening sessions. Anyway, what is your take on the build quality of your recommendations, particularly the **** 6in1? While I consider myself careful with my listening gears, I would like durable earphones that will not break when one of my dogs suddenly decided to jump on me while I am using my laptop.

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #2,764 of 31,832
Hey @Nymphonomaniac, thanks for your recommendations! Well, I do not hate bass that's for sure, but I like earphones that are able to separate instruments since I listen to a wide genre of music, from country folk to metal so I prefer "balanced/neutral" so I need not to change earphones when having listening sessions. Anyway, what is your take on the build quality of your recommendations, particularly the **** 6in1? While I consider myself careful with my listening gears, I would like durable earphones that will not break when one of my dogs suddenly decided to jump on me while I am using my laptop.

The Cellos remain one of my favourite iems. Vidal seems to like treble leaning earphones hence him finding them dark. They're also very tip sensitive and fare better when inserted deeper in to the ear.

Reasons why I love them:

• Details
  • Timbre (very lifelike on the middle with vocals and stringed instruments)
  • Smooth treble
  • Sub bass / bass (nice kick and little to no bleed of bass in to the mids)
  • Lovely mids
  • Isolation (with good a seal and deep Insertion they block the outside world out very well)
  • Smooth nonfatiguing presentation whilst being refined.
If you are coming from a brighter earphone you'll need a little time to acclimatise but the rewards are worth it!

Look at the reviews on AE and you'll see most people like them A LOT.

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #2,766 of 31,832
@Vidal and @WilliamCruz, since you both have the KZ ZS5, does using a different cable alters its sound? I actually don't have any experience on detachable cables so I am quite cautious, especially on the "pins" that connects the cable and the iem. Is the KZ ZS5 "pins" durable?

I found the treble a bit brighter but difference could be because I expected to find that. Pins seem solid on most KZ's I've used but I'm careful and don't listen to them that much, ZS5 being a change in that.

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #2,767 of 31,832
I know I'm late to the game, but I just got my KZ ZST's today and I am really impressed by how balanced they are. They don't have as much sub bass, especially compared to my IM70's or even the ATE's, but I definitely like this sound signature. Now I can't wait for my ZS5's to get in.

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #2,768 of 31,832
Maybe I'm missing the point from the comment about the GR07X but my GR07 didn't have a removeable cable, does yours? was there two versions?

I stopped listening to my GR07 over two years ago, gifted it to my dad when I decided other earphones I had at the time were better. It's an opinion backed up following a further listening session about 5 months ago.

no, mine the mk2 didn't have a removable cable, but i had the first iteration and currently own the mk2 which had more silver wires, then came the gr07c and gr07 classic. Now they have the gr07 2017 edition with/without removable cable. they have released about 4 or 5 versions of GR07.

The gr07x cable is removable only after the y split, which i had no idea why.. but it seems like they fixed the soundstage height and depth plus sibilance.

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #2,769 of 31,832
@Vidal and @WilliamCruz, since you both have the KZ ZS5, does using a different cable alters its sound? I actually don't have any experience on detachable cables so I am quite cautious, especially on the "pins" that connects the cable and the iem. Is the KZ ZS5 "pins" durable?

Firstly the pins of my zs5 snaps to place, using both cable they provided had no difference in sound. But I had another cable, lune cable which made the bass thump harder, i couldn't tell any difference for the rest of spectrum.

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #2,770 of 31,832
The Cellos remain one of my favourite iems. Vidal seems to like treble leaning earphones hence him finding them dark. They're also very tip sensitive and fare better when inserted deeper in to the ear.

Reasons why I love them:

• Details
  • Smooth treble
  • Lovely mids
  • Isolation (with good a seal and deep Insertion they block the outside world out very well)
If you are coming from a brighter earphone you'll need a little time to acclimatise but the rewards are worth it!

Do you have the ZS5 or X5 to compare?

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #2,771 of 31,832
no, mine the mk2 didn't have a removable cable, but i had the first iteration and currently own the mk2 which had more silver wires, then came the gr07c and gr07 classic. Now they have the gr07 2017 edition with/without removable cable. they have released about 4 or 5 versions of GR07.

The gr07x cable is removable only after the y split, which i had no idea why.. but it seems like they fixed the soundstage height and depth plus sibilance.

Do you know of any opinions on the 2017 version of the GR07 BE?

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #2,773 of 31,832

Reasons why I love them:

• Details
  • Smooth treble
  • Lovely mids

Are they hybrids?

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #2,774 of 31,832
hello guys
i want get 2 earphones
1 - urbanfun
2- 1 of this 3 (memt x5 - Einsear t2 - Seahf AWK-009)

please compare this 3 (memt x5 - Einsear t2 - Seahf AWK-009) which one is winner
These 3 are all similar in many aspects and all offer amazing value. X5 is bassier, AWK best at presenting soundscape, didn't hear T2 but seems to be the balance of the other 2. Neither of these is gonna kill you with some major flaw, you just get somewhat different tuning and overall, similar sound quality. If you prefer stronger bass, X5 is an obvious choice, but if these differences don't bother you as much, look at build quality and how they would fit (AWK and X5 fit perfectly as they are small and long enough - you control insertion depth).

Jun 14, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #2,775 of 31,832
It's this one

It's very good for such a low price and the sound is on the warm side - there's a similar model reviewed by B9 here. I'm guessing they are the same model. I'll review the DM8 early next week.

FYI, I received this IEM today (MoreBlue DM8, from the seller that Vidal linked). I have to say, I am extremely impressed by it. It is an unbelievable deal for $3. As Vidal said it is on the warm side, so as long as you like that signature do yourself a favor and pick up a pair. Note that it doesn't come with any spare tips, no case, no extras of any sort. Just the IEM (with medium tips installed) in a ziplock baggie, which helps explain the ridiculous cost.

They seem like they would benefit from tip rolling as well, as the included tips have a very shallow fit on the nozzle (ie the nozzle will accommodate a much longer tip).

I also received the Fonge T01 from the same vendor. It's decent, and very comfortable with zero microphonics, but the DM8 is definitely the superior IEM between them both.

Update 1: It's very important to get a good seal on the MoreBlue DM8, and to orient the L and R sides properly. They are not marked in any way, and if you switch the R & L sides it sounds like crap. Wearing them behind the ear sounds like crap. They must be worn cable down, but be aware that the cable is very microphonic. Finally, they are a 100% sealed design, so both sides on my pair have crispy crunchy driver flex. You have to play around with them to get a perfect seal, but once you hit the sweet spot of insertion they sound awesome. Those are all extremely minor issues that are easy to look past given the dirt cheap price however (driver flex, microphonic cable, confusing L&R identification, and finicky seal).

Update 2: I added a 1.0mm vent hole in each driver, which eliminated the driver flex. Proper insertion is much easier and more reliable now. The soundstage also improved slightly. If you buy the DM8, I strongly recommend this simple modification. I also colored the cable strains with blue/red sharpie, which eliminated the problem identifying which side is what :0)

MoreBlue_DM8.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back