CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 7, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #5,821 of 31,833
I thank you very much and assure you that I am very happy to own the v1. I am a scientist and therefore look for the "truth" - and not for fistfights. Just exchanged the cables and the stock cable sounds "louder". The mids may also sound less recessed now and fuller - the jury is still deliberating on that one. Which means the "mod" with the silver cable may not be a good idea. Something inferior with the silver cable - not silver maybe (should have lower impedance)? And I don't think there is any tape blocking a driver - it does not sound muffled.

I just addressed this to Chris who was reviewing the ZS5 with the same silver cable I use and asked him to compare cables for another opinion.

One thing for sure: my tips are spot on, fit, and the iPhone is a good source. Listening to Diana Krall right now and her voice sounds good. Will continue swapping cables.

And for $15, the ZS5 constitute outstanding value...wished I had gotten that deal, sigh.

Last word on cable impedance. I once experienced this with a monster headphone (forgive my choice but it was a cool looking "adidas" version on sale). Stock cable vs. any other cable resulted in volume differences. But, again, this must be an obvious thing and not a nuance used in the usual cable discussions.

The tape isn't blocking the driver - it's sealing off the rear magnet vent. You see this sort of tuning in full size headphone drivers all of the time. The vent holes can be tuned with many different items (partially blocking them to control the airflow, or even completely sealing them off). Commonly used materials are nylon screen, micro pore tape, tuning cotton, tape, and (as used by modders) blue tac, clay, silly putty, painters tape, foil tape, etc.

The tape blocking the rear magnet vent of the 6mm midrange driver is indeed on every single ZS5 - both v1 and v2. It is seen here as a small square of tan colored masking tape (indicated by the arrows):

Midrange Tape.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #5,822 of 31,833
As to value: the cheapest deals are quite requently the best values. There are decent earphones in the $5-20 bracket out there. For an incredible $5 at gearbest you get the very decent KZ HDS1 or HDS3 (head flux reviewed the latter as being equal or better sounding than the praised Soundmagic E10C at 10 times the price...I can confirm this as I sadly bought the Soundmagic, too).

Agree 100%. I too wasted money on the Soundmagic E10C. In hindsight, both the KZ HDS1 and HDS3 sound better for the cost of a cup of coffee. The KZs are better constructed as well - the HDS1 and 3 are still going strong after daily abuse, whereas the Soundmagic E10C's cable crapped out after just a few months.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #5,823 of 31,833
I've pulled the trigger and ordered I-Into I8, which have three DD of 10mm + 6mm + 6mm and I'm told they are balanced. It's similar in shape to the VJJB V1S and I'm hearing about no problems with fit like I did with the VJJB. I'm hoping they sound great and for the price of $18 USD I'm not worried about it.
Does anybody have experience with these?

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #5,824 of 31,833
1. Sources: I use a variety of sources: iPhone 5S, Macbook Air, iPods...with and without audioquest dragonfly and/or Schiit Fulla...for all of my earphones.
2. Cables: I used both, the stock cable and the $7 silver upgrade cable: no difference found
3. Tips: I use my standard third party L 13.5 mm tips...as with most other of my 40 some earphones (no difference to large included tips found)
https://goo.gl/L7tEgW
4. I insert my tips deeply...bass is strong enough
5. There is no tape anywhere

I also realign the air molecules in my ear canals and polish the ZS5's storage case for smoother sound. And I make sure, the listening temperature is between 18 and 22C and my blood pressure around my ears is medically balanced. And I first broke the earphones in for 100 hours, then I burnt them in for another 100 hours. I also made sure that the electrons aligned properly at the cable walls.

I then used them last night at above average air humidity and 45 mins after my last meal. Sure, they are a great collector's item (yes, I am glad I have the v1.). And yes, the sound was decent for a $25 earphone (don't forget, I paid 50% more, which flows into my equation). But the somewhat hollow and distant mids (which are obvious in comparison to more expensive earphones) didn't go away. My point has always been that KZ produced a window dressing product with four drivers which does not sound like a four driver earphone. The four drivers created high expectations to get one of the most difficult things right: the mids. This also flows into my equation. I speculate that most people like the ZS5 because they look cool - "borrowed" from a $600 earphone. And I further speculate that many think they sound great because they look great....cf. "emperor's new clothing". But you don't get a $100 earphone with the ZS5. This is consistent with the extensive characterization of the ZS5 in the thorough, unbiased reviews I read (observations and interpretations are separated in these). You can't argue with "taste" when 50 cents are missing to the dollar. They constitute a good but no outstanding value in my opinion, especially when compared to the other KZ models.

Glad to see I am not the only one who does proper prep.

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #5,825 of 31,833
It surely is a learning process to value the individual earphones and lots of fun - and you are on the right track: learning by listening to different earphones, then comparing between them and to published frequency curves and to lengthy reviews by others. www.the phonograph.net and http://www.aproear.co.uk have tables of their reviewed headphones listing scores and other details. Some blogs such as the contraptionist and Chris's Kopfhoerer Lounge or headflux have very extensive reviews that enable you to read between the lines, sometimes.

Good stuff.

As to value: the cheapest deals are quite requently the best values. There are decent earphones in the $5-20 bracket out there. For an incredible $5 at gearbest you get the very decent KZ HDS1 or HDS3 (head flux reviewed the latter as being equal or better sounding than the praised Soundmagic E10C at 10 times the price...I can confirm this as I sadly bought the Soundmagic, too).

But when you shop around, you sometimes also get cheap brandnames such as the Sony MH1C lauded by some audiophiles ($22 on eBay vs. $80 list price) which can be used as a testing standard for comparison.

For $22 can we be sure that they are genuine?

Jan 7, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #5,826 of 31,833
1. Sources: I use a variety of sources: iPhone 5S, Macbook Air, iPods...with and without audioquest dragonfly and/or Schiit Fulla...for all of my earphones.
2. Cables: I used both, the stock cable and the $7 silver upgrade cable: no difference found
3. Tips: I use my standard third party L 13.5 mm tips...as with most other of my 40 some earphones (no difference to large included tips found)
https://goo.gl/L7tEgW
4. I insert my tips deeply...bass is strong enough
5. There is no tape anywhere

I also realign the air molecules in my ear canals and polish the ZS5's storage case for smoother sound. And I make sure, the listening temperature is between 18 and 22C and my blood pressure around my ears is medically balanced. And I first broke the earphones in for 100 hours, then I burnt them in for another 100 hours. I also made sure that the electrons aligned properly at the cable walls.

I then used them last night at above average air humidity and 45 mins after my last meal. Sure, they are a great collector's item (yes, I am glad I have the v1.). And yes, the sound was decent for a $25 earphone (don't forget, I paid 50% more, which flows into my equation). But the somewhat hollow and distant mids (which are obvious in comparison to more expensive earphones) didn't go away. My point has always been that KZ produced a window dressing product with four drivers which does not sound like a four driver earphone. The four drivers created high expectations to get one of the most difficult things right: the mids. This also flows into my equation. I speculate that most people like the ZS5 because they look cool - "borrowed" from a $600 earphone. And I further speculate that many think they sound great because they look great....cf. "emperor's new clothing". But you don't get a $100 earphone with the ZS5. This is consistent with the extensive characterization of the ZS5 in the thorough, unbiased reviews I read (observations and interpretations are separated in these). You can't argue with "taste" when 50 cents are missing to the dollar. They constitute a good but no outstanding value in my opinion, especially when compared to the other KZ models.

M`kay... just so You know - I don`t like ZS5 design at all but luckily they fit well.
Will not comment this post further as I see no point. You seem to steer away from the beginning and reason of this conversation and It seems You must have the last word.
Don`t want to continue this conversation. I just let it be:wink: I wish You well with Your preferred signature IEM findings.

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #5,828 of 31,833
Good stuff.[/QUOTE]
You seem to steer away from the beginning and reason of this conversation and It seems You must have the last word.
I do apologize if you have the impression that I want to have the last word...there is no last word in an ongoing thread. You had sent me a catalogue of questions and reminded me even to answer them. So I did while adding some humour. I therefore find your statement somewhat unreasonable.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #5,830 of 31,833
I've pulled the trigger and ordered I-Into I8, which have three DD of 10mm + 6mm + 6mm and I'm told they are balanced. It's similar in shape to the VJJB V1S and I'm hearing about no problems with fit like I did with the VJJB. I'm hoping they sound great and for the price of $18 USD I'm not worried about it.
Does anybody have experience with these?

Yeah, they sound pretty balanced to me as well. Bass is pretty thick and quick. Mids are also very present and clear.

Only complain I have so far is the cable noise which makes it really unsuitable for listening on the move. There is a chin slider which helps but still not advisable for non-stationary listening.

I have yet to try wearing them with cable over the ears. Hopefully that might help with the cable noise.

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #5,831 of 31,833
Agree 100%. I too wasted money on the Soundmagic E10C. In hindsight, both the KZ HDS1 and HDS3 sound better for the cost of a cup of coffee. The KZs are better constructed as well - the HDS1 and 3 are still going strong after daily abuse, whereas the Soundmagic E10C's cable crapped out after just a few months.
One paradox remains:
1. The Soundmagic have been reviewed as fantastic and as iems of the year in their price class for many years by WhatHifi.
2. The KZ equivalents have been reviewed as soso by audiobudget.com, thephonograph.net etc.
This means that the higher rated Chifi stuff by the above blogs such as the Urbanfun Hifi should be praised into heaven by What Hifi (if they reviewed them).

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #5,832 of 31,833
Corresponded with Hifi Chris (Chris from the Kopfhoerer Lounge) on the KZ ZS5. It was established that:
1. His measurements of his silver vs. stock cable were identical.
2. My silver cable, as discussed here before, must have a higher impedance than the stock cable.
3. It cannot be argued that the ZS5 have somewhat hollow, unnatural mids.
4. There is nothing wrong with liking such a sound signature: suum cuique
5. Is is assumed that I am perfectly capable of inserting the right tips into the right ears, use the right dap and amp, and so on...

Having said all this: good to have the ZS5 v1...now a collector's item.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #5,833 of 31,833
One paradox remains:
1. The Soundmagic have been reviewed as fantastic and as iems of the year in their price class for many years by WhatHifi.
2. The KZ equivalents have been reviewed as soso by audiobudget.com, thephonograph.net etc.
This means that the higher rated Chifi stuff by the above blogs such as the Urbanfun Hifi should be praised into heaven by What Hifi (if they reviewed them).

I tend to go by my own ears more than review sites.

Especially sites like audiobudget, that are nothing but affiliate link factories, and are banned from HeadFi for 'shady practices'.

Reviews should be used as a general guide, not as absolute gospel (including FR graphs). It is, after all, just someone else's opinion/ears. At the end of the day, the only opinion/ears that matters is my own.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #5,834 of 31,833
Reviews should be used as a general guide, not as absolute gospel. It is, after all, just someone else's opinion/ears. At the end of the day, the only opinion/ears that matters is my own.
Sure, but you first have to decide which ones to buy before your ears like them or not. And reviews can help one making this decision, which in the end may save lots of money.

There is observation and interpretation in each review. First, the reviewer describes the characteristics of an earphone and then states how and why they like them (or not). Both have to be separated, which leaves the option to the attentive reader to read between the lines...yes, we may like a feature a reviewer does not, no problem. And not every reviewer/review have the same quality. For instance, I could not care less for the "Earphone King" which hosts an assembly of hollow phrases.

The idea is to read many qualified reviews, which help one to decide whether to buy or not. This may simply indicate whether these earphones are tailored for your taste or not. That's how I got the Tinaudio T2 or the Fostex TE02, and the treble of the KZ ZS6 described in many reviews stopped me from buying them.

As to audiobudget, I give Igor, an enthusiastic individual, credibility that he does honest reviews. Buying all these iems on spec costs a lot of money and the affiliate program is a way of offsetting some of the cost. In the end, he provides a valuable service. Same with Vidal (edit: who used to sell such earphones) or the Kopfhoerer Lounge or the contraptionist...who also get the odd free sample. I am more suspicious of commercial sites such as Whathifi that are pushing certain items. And there are some German ones in which every item is great...unrealistic.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #5,835 of 31,833
Sure, but you first have to decide which ones to buy before your ears like them or not. And reviews can help one making this decision, which in the end may save lots of money.

There is observation and interpretation in each review. First, the reviewer describes the characteristics of an earphone and then states how and why they like them (or not). Both have to be separated, which leaves the option to the attentive reader to read between the lines...yes, we may like a feature a reviewer does not, no problem. And not every reviewer/review have the same quality. For instance, I could not care less for the "Earphone King" which hosts an assembly of hollow phrases.

The idea is to read many qualified reviews, which help one to decide whether to buy or not. This may simply indicate whether these earphones are tailored for your taste or not. That's how I got the Tinaudio T2 or the Fostex TE02, and the treble of the KZ ZS6 described in many reviews stopped me from buying them.

As to audiobudget, I give Igor, an enthusiastic individual, credibility that he does honest reviews. Buying all these iems on spec costs a lot of money and the affiliate program is a way of offsetting some of the cost. In the end, he provides a valuable service. Same with Vidal (who actually sells such earphones) or the Kopfhoerer Lounge or the contraptionist...who also get the odd free sample. I am more suspicious of commercial sites such as Whathifi that are pushing certain items. And there are some German ones in which every item is great...unrealistic.

I understand what you're saying. I use reviews as a guideline to help me decide what to buy or not too.

I can say that I've missed out on some gems by giving too much weight to the 'review approach' though. For example, I avoided the EMI CI-880 Hybrid for a long time based on reviews. I thought I would hate it. Then I saw it on sale for a ridiculous price, and decided to just go ahead and give it a try for myself (with little to lose based on the low price). Boy, I sure am glad I took the chance, because it's one of my top 5 favorite IEMs. That's not the only gear that's happened with either.

I'm sure you've run into a similar situation with reviews of anything - movies, cars, Amazon products, restaurants, etc. I can't tell you how many movies I've liked that reviewers/critics hated (and vice versa). If I only listened to reviews, I would have missed out on a lot of enjoyment.

Some reviewers may be great people, and theoretically honest, but I found enough of their reviews to be 'off' for gear that I myself own - and that 'makes me go hmmmm'. The exact reason for this could be a number of things. Maybe they hear things way differently than me, or perhaps listen too quickly without thorough evaluation, or don't try a wide range of tips (included with an item), or try other sources, or aren't careful enough to standardize as much as possible, or even they're just saying anything that sounds good simply to sell gear. Regardless, as long as I put more weight on what my own ears tell me and less on what I read on a computer screen, I'm good to go.

I've also learned through the years which reviewers (and HeadFi members) have ears closer to my own (based on their comments, likes, dislikes, same genres, etc). That's been much more helpful than anything to help identify gear that I will more than likely like (or dislike) too.

P.S. - @Vidal (Aproear) doesn't sell earphones (for a while now), nor even use affiliate links. His site strictly does reviews only (which he buys at retail with his own money).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back