CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 6, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #12,916 of 31,833

They are pretty good, aren't they?
I got them few months ago and I wrote a couple of lines in the chi-fi thread.

They are quite bassy, but that can be fixed with little tip rolling. I settled for shallow wide bore tips pushed over the body of the iems so the nozzle is in line with the tip opening.
Very clean and smooth treble and mids, though.

Nice, I must have missed your post.

Great pic too - shows just how small these are.

For even better sound, remove those little white nozzle filters with a sewing needle, and just run it open! You can always put them back if you want.

I’m using the stock tips, but I will definitely try out your wide bore tip recommendation.

I’m also going to play with the rear vent (under the shell by the wire strain). A simple strip of micropore tape over the vent should knock down that low end. These have the opportunity to be amazing with just a touch less low end (which would make a nice balance of all frequencies).

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #12,917 of 31,833
My issue with KZ cable is it tends to try to pull the ED16 out of my ears. Causing an inadequate seal.

Yes, that is part of it... the stock cable just does not lie the way it should and causes various problems... I am just using the cable that came stock with the ZSA (angled connector but NOT the same fit as the ones that come with the ES4 etc). I have it because my husband put a balanced cable on his ZSA. I think any cable that will fit will be better than stock. As far as sound goes I do not hear differences because of cables but of course I do with tips. I have medium Spinfit CP100 on my ED16.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #12,918 of 31,833
Nice, I must have missed your post.

Great pic too - shows just how small these are.

For even better sound, remove those little white nozzle filters with a sewing needle, and just run it open! You can always put them back if you want.

I’m using the stock tips, but I will definitely try out your wide bore tip recommendation.

I’m also going to play with the rear vent (under the shell by the wire strain). A simple strip of micropore tape over the vent should knock down that low end. These have the opportunity to be amazing with just a touch less low end (which would make a nice balance of all frequencies).
I always forget the mesh in the nozzle can be removed :)

I messed with the rear vent and it does tame the low end, but they are so tiny and awkward to work with. If sealed completely, too much bass is gone. Maybe micropore, but I didn't have any when I fiddled with them.
Something tells me you'll come up with a much better solution, as usual :)

When EQd just a bit, they sound really, really good.

Sep 6, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #12,919 of 31,833
I always forget the mesh in the nozzle can be removed :)

I messed with the rear vent and it does tame the low end, but they are so tiny and awkward to work with. If sealed completely, too much bass is gone. Maybe micropore, but I didn't have any when I fiddled with them.
Something tells me you'll come up with a much better solution, as usual :)

When EQd just a bit, they sound really, really good.

Yeah, you're right - micropore on the rear vent (even poked with a needle) removes too much bass and also makes them sound closed in and compressed. For that big expansive sound, the vent seems to like to be fully open.

I will play a little more with them, but I think using tips or EQ to reduce the bass a few dBs will be the best method.

They are great as-is for EDM and other bass heavy genres (rap, hip hop, trance, techno, dub step, glitch, trap, etc).

Sep 6, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #12,920 of 31,833
Yes, considerably. I reviewed both of the banned ones and the BQEYZ k2 and kc2 and they are very different signatures. I put the K2 and Kc2 at the top of my $50 bracket with the Tin Audio T2 as best in class right now. To me, the banned had some good features but also some pretty major drawbacks.
Reviews of all of them are posted to my blog (link in signature).
How would you compare the k2s to the v80s? Im tempted to try them, but also keen to try the BGVP DMGs. Not sure whether to gamble the £40 on the k2s or wait a bit and put down the £100 on the DMGs?

Sep 6, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #12,921 of 31,833
Hello, I read a lot that foam memory chests help a lot with the sound for the kZ zs6 headphones. My question is if they know if the SHURE brand is good or bad, since it is the one I can get today for a subject imports. They cost about 20 dollars

Sep 6, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #12,922 of 31,833
Sep 6, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #12,923 of 31,833
Yeah, you're right - micropore on the rear vent (even poked with a needle) removes too much bass and also makes them sound closed in and compressed. For that big expansive sound, the vent seems to like to be fully open.

I will play a little more with them, but I think using tips or EQ to reduce the bass a few dBs will be the best method.

They are great as-is for EDM and other bass heavy genres (rap, hip hop, trance, techno, dub step, glitch, trap, etc).
Well, now that I removed the mesh, treble opened up, and with some T100 clones that I've found laying around, they sound more balanced. There's some sibilance here and there, but I can easily live with that.

Sep 6, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #12,924 of 31,833
Well, now that I removed the mesh, treble opened up, and with some T100 clones that I've found laying around, they sound more balanced. There's some sibilance here and there, but I can easily live with that.

I’ll try some foam tips when I tip roll. Glad you like them without the filter. It adds just the right amount of treble sizzle to balance out the elevated low end.

Here’s a photo of these small wonders next to a AA battery and a US dime.

596A369C-59C1-42BF-BEE0-F589559DF8F0.jpeg

Anyone remember micro machines toy cars from the 80s? I think the same company that made those made this IEM haha

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #12,926 of 31,833
It’s one of those ‘mystery ChiFi IEMs’. The model is officially AR-3001. It’s sold under that name, as well as the Alistooop Mini.
Did you read the review of your Kailuhong AR-3001 on Audiobudget? These earphones were rated as "approved". They are also available on Amazon for $13. And the name seems to be Elistooop

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #12,927 of 31,833
Yes, that is part of it... the stock cable just does not lie the way it should and causes various problems... I am just using the cable that came stock with the ZSA (angled connector but NOT the same fit as the ones that come with the ES4 etc). I have it because my husband put a balanced cable on his ZSA. I think any cable that will fit will be better than stock. As far as sound goes I do not hear differenced because of cables but of course I do with tips. I have medium Spinfit CP100 on my ED16.

Thanks for the reminder about Spinfit tips. I had to borrow mine from my Trinity's but they fit much better now. The new TRN cable should be here tomorrow.

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #12,928 of 31,833
Did you read the review of your Kailuhong AR-3001 on Audiobudget? These earphones were rated as "approved". They are also available on Amazon for $13. And the name seems to be Elistooop

Nice. I was unaware of the AB review (nor that they were available on Amazon).

It’s nice to know my findings were basically the same as Igor’s. And luckily removal of the nozzle filters is an easy way to boost the treble performance.

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #12,929 of 31,833
Sep 6, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #12,930 of 31,833
How would you compare the k2s to the v80s? Im tempted to try them, but also keen to try the BGVP DMGs. Not sure whether to gamble the £40 on the k2s or wait a bit and put down the £100 on the DMGs?

They are so far apart in signature that it is hard to realistically compare them. To my ear, the v80 is very V shaped while the K2 is near neutral and the KC2 even more so.

v80
+ good detail resolution
+ good bass extension
- odd timbre at times
- hyper aggressive treble that distorts at times

While not my personal tastes, those that listen to fast genres with lots of bass and aggressive styling may find the detail level and speed of the v80 appealing.

k2/kc2
+ good bass extension and control
+ near ruler flat sound profile
- not the best treble extension I've heard
- may be more laid back than some like

The K2 and Kc2 are great if you prefer to listen at lower volume levels and listen to mid centric genres.

I've debated the DMG myself and will likely have to break down and get one for review.

I have my K2/KC2 review up on audiofool.reviews and should have a full TRN v80 review up shortly. I am working on several at the moment and trying to play catch up. (Laptop bit it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back