CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 23, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #10,922 of 31,833
BB7FC86B-C16C-4C3A-B69C-7EBEC186B913.jpeg

I’m afraid to listen to them as of now (but will compare them with the V20, no worries). But wow, they’re real lookers in red!

Edit 1: Oh, just the front plates are looking good. The rest is very plastic-y.

Edit 2: The first impression? Sound is straaange. Voices are very far away in some songs.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #10,923 of 31,833
I've had my eyes on the final audio e4000

the e2k and e3k have gotten so much praise, so I expect big things from the e4000 and e5000

Seems like there are two major opinions between the e4000 and e5000; one group saying e5000 is warmer, but clearer and better, and the other saying they are extremely similar
Well

E4000 has issue on bass sounding a little lifeless, too fast attack which tries to initiate BA(still better). Mids are real deal here...way way better than any dynamic and BA listened so far. Treble has shine and smoothness, the air is also fantastic. Decay is faster

E5000 sounds more open and natural on bass frequency. Its mids are very little, I really mean very little laid back, and you have to hear same music on both iem and put on left and right to hear mid difference. Treble is smoother but extends more. Decay is natural here.

May 23, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #10,924 of 31,833

I’m afraid to listen to them as of now (but will compare them with the V20, no worries). But wow, they’re real lookers in red!

Edit 1: Oh, just the front plates are looking good. The rest is very plastic-y.

Edit 2: The first impression? Sound is straaange. Voices are very far away in some songs.

cables/wiring out of phase? so far impressions have been negative on the V60. Quite sad for those that anticipated these (I was waiting more on the V30, tbh)

May 23, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #10,925 of 31,833
cables/wiring out of phase? so far impressions have been negative on the V60. Quite sad for those that anticipated these (I was waiting more on the V30, tbh)
No, cables are good. Switched them too. They’re good.

- Coming from the V20, lower mids and vocals sound muffled
- Coming from the ZSR, lower mids and vocals sound muffled

The sound is very far away too, if you’re coming from another earphone. Still, in al honesty, I think this is a sound signature where non chi-fi owners spending 20 euros, would be perfectly happy with. It’s just that we’re used to better now.

May 23, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #10,926 of 31,833
Here to agree on trn v60 sounds bad. I got mine 2 days back and i don't even wanna comment anything about it. The midrange is a mess ... felt too warm and muffled, clarity is severely lacking. And i thought adding the crossover will make it better... The ASE hybrid sound way better than this despite its fat bass, there is still appreciable amount of clarity and nice blend of warmth in it. In short, i enjoy the ASE hybrid but not V60. I suggest folks to put a hold on v60, it probably is just a not seriously done oem release. Better wait on for V80 which i heard should be soon next month

I had this sinking feeling it was no good, the placement of the 3.8mm midrange didn't make sense since it is located at the back of the housing. It might have been a better design if the bass and midrange drivers switched places ( iunderstand this would change the housing shape). I really like my TRN v20 so I took a chance on this one...oh well can't get lucky everytime. I'll have to wait until it actually arrives before I come to a real judgement. Today was comparing the TRN V20 vs KZ ZSR, both I could listen to all day. ZSR stays put better, but the TRN V20 has deeper bass, the bass is also more detailed, the midrange sounds less recessed and fuller and the treble is not fatiguing for me. The ZSR can sound kind of artificial in the treble for me at times. The V20 could use a tad more 8khz bump but it's ok without. Now I need to keep playing with more tips on the V20 to see if I can get it to stay inserted better. The included medium tips keep it in place better than medium KZ starlines. I might try going up in size with the starlines. I don't know why they don't stay, they have a really long nozzle IMO.​

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #10,927 of 31,833
No, cables are good. Switched them too. They’re good.

- Coming from the V20, lower mids and vocals sound muffled
- Coming from the ZSR, lower mids and vocals sound muffled

The sound is very far away too, if you’re coming from another earphone. Still, in al honesty, I think this is a sound signature where non chi-fi owners spending 20 euros, would be perfectly happy with. It’s just that we’re used to better now.

Usually when midrange is muffled, that generally means there's something blocking the sound. Either a foam plugged shoved in the nozzle or a double nozzle filter (so for example a nylon or tyvek filter stacked either on top of or underneath a standard stainless nozzle mesh). You can gently remove the stainless mesh by prying on the edge of it with a sewing needle, removing whatever is choking the sound, and sticking the stainless mesh back into place.

It certainly can't hurt, especially since the reports of the V60 are less than stellar. What have you got to lose? You can always put it back.

The other thing I would make sure to do is tip roll, as 9/10 times the stock tips don't provide the best sound. I would go with something wide bore and not foam (Auvio wide bores or Whirlwinds), which would allow the most sound possible to get to your ear (thus reducing anything that would cause muffle and/or frequency absorption to an absolute minimum).

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #10,930 of 31,833
Please try long tips on them first! Other forum member and I recently discovered it unlocks a whole lot of detail and pronunciation in the mids. Now it’s in my top 3. :)

Hmm interesting.....thanks for the tip! I can see how this would affect sound, but did changing tips clear up comfort / ear pressure issues for you? If you never had those issues to begin with, it might just be that I've got weird shaped ears or something. Sound wise I was probably too harsh to begin with - they do sound good, but the comfort thing is a deal breaker for me as I wear my IEMs all day.

May 23, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #10,931 of 31,833
how does hifiman re400 compare to tin audio t2?

May 23, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #10,932 of 31,833
Usually when midrange is muffled, that generally means there's something blocking the sound. Either a foam plugged shoved in the nozzle or a double nozzle filter (so for example a nylon or tyvek filter stacked either on top of or underneath a standard stainless nozzle mesh). You can gently remove the stainless mesh by prying on the edge of it with a sewing needle, removing whatever is choking the sound, and sticking the stainless mesh back into place.

It certainly can't hurt, especially since the reports of the V60 are less than stellar. What have you got to lose? You can always put it back.

The other thing I would make sure to do is tip roll, as 9/10 times the stock tips don't provide the best sound. I would go with something wide bore and not foam (Auvio wide bores or Whirlwinds), which would allow the most sound possible to get to your ear (thus reducing anything that would cause muffle and/or frequency absorption to an absolute minimum).

Yes, removing metal mesh in the nozzle improve V60

https://twitter.com/palm_house/status/999307297330376705?s=19
rHnVy-uS2wFkra8y9j5zGRODXom_GxuZNswcsx-KX3xZ1hwZNVHd_gM0Hf5r9q5ay8cg1qgq-RaNdhRYtw=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

May 23, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #10,934 of 31,833
Yes, removing metal mesh in the nozzle improve V60

https://twitter.com/palm_house/status/999307297330376705?s=19
rHnVy-uS2wFkra8y9j5zGRODXom_GxuZNswcsx-KX3xZ1hwZNVHd_gM0Hf5r9q5ay8cg1qgq-RaNdhRYtw=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

I had a sneaking feeling that was going to be the case...

It's like when something sounds like you have 'cotton in your ears'. Well duh, remove the cotton and bingo clear as a bell.

I still think it's likely that there's foam placed down in the nozzle. Either that or they could just flat out made the nozzle too small (in effect, choking the DD driver and not enough sound can get through).

The ATE, for example, benefits greatly from replacing the stock nozzle with a larger diameter one (@CoiL did this on his "FF modded ATE").

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #10,935 of 31,833

Users who are viewing this thread

Back