CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 22, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #10,906 of 31,833
Hello people! Very nice to meet you all. I'm new to this, so bear with me please :wink: I got a high end laptop with an SS Sabre HiFi Hi-Res Audio DAC in it, which supposedly easily drives headphones up to 600 Ohm and gets the FLAC lossless audio files to output 24bit/192kHz, so I'm looking for suggestions in the 20-40$ range for now (I'll increase budget once I train my ear).

I'll wait for Tin Audio T2 and/or ZhiYin Z5000 to be in sale as right now they are $50+ but I'm considering FAAEAL Narcissus 2.0 300ohm (28$) as it is sometimes suggested, especially since I'm a bass lover guy. I kindda get surprised IEM like the KZ ZS10 (44$) are being so praised but I guess the number of Balanced Armatures are very important.

I have read a dozen pages of this and other thread but anyway I apologize if I am still unknowledgeable. Thanks a lot for your input!
Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet

May 22, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #10,907 of 31,833
TRN V60 - Had a chance to burn in for 10+ hours.

First thing I noticed was the bass, there’s lots of it and it’s gotten tighter since first listen but it still a little slow. Can be full and overpowering on some genres but good for pop and electronic. Not sure if it’s enough for bassheads.

Mids and vocals were horribly muffled and distant with stock cable. Even with the burn in there was minimal difference so I tried stock kz 2-pin and that was a big improvement! Even better using kz’s silver plated cable. Vocals are no longer veiled or muffled. Not sure if I got a defective cable or what.

There’s no sibilance with the treble but I believe they’re being too conservative here; there’s no sparkle and lacks extension. Some instruments sound off.

Overall the sound is slightly warm and bassy. I’d like to hear better separation and bigger soundstage but not complaining too much considering price. Will give it more time but nothing stands out for me yet
Oh crap, that doesn’t sound too good. I think I’ll receive mine tomorrow - will share my thoughts too. :)

May 22, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #10,908 of 31,833
Oh crap, that doesn’t sound too good. I think I’ll receive mine tomorrow - will share my thoughts too. :)

Yea, I also received the HK6 on the same day so I thought that may have skewed my perspective on the V60. But re-listening to it, even with the upgraded cable, vocals are still muffled and dark to me. Bass overpowering and treble is not there. At this point, I'm rating the CM5 and Rose North Forest (which didn't get good reviews from many) over these..I was just expecting more. Curious to hear your impressions and comparison to V20..

May 22, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #10,909 of 31,833
so after reading this thread and buying and trying a bunch of recommended relatively inexpensive IEM/Earbid headsets that included;

KZ ATE
KZ ATR
KZ ZS3
KZ ED9
KS ZSR
KZ ZST
KZ ZS10
Shozy Hibiki
DZAT DF10
Zero Carbo-Tenore
TIN Audio T2
LKER 8
Superlux HD 381F
Yersen FEN-2000
TY HI Z 150Pro
Rose North Forest
Faaeal 64ohm
WIllSound MK2
Soundmagic E80S
Nuforce EDC/EDC3
Campfire Comets

Other than the Campfire Comets which cost more than allot of these guys added together, none of them really stood out heads and shoulders above their peers although there were some that I just could not get to work as far as staying in my ear, which would seem to be the first thing an earbud/IEM should be able to do which is to fit. I'm pretty much over taking all these to work with me so I can listen to and compare them. Seems like there should be an easier way to do A/B/C/D/E comparisons..

If anyone has tip recommendations for these with the exceptions of the WIllsound/Faaeal/TY HI Z 150Pro/KZ ED9 which don't need tips I'd like to hear about it.
I haven't had allot of success both in sound and fit wise with any of the included or after market memory foam tips I've tried
How is the wilsound ? Over hyped ?

May 22, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #10,911 of 31,833
so after reading this thread and buying and trying a bunch of recommended relatively inexpensive IEM/Earbid headsets that included;

KZ ATE
KZ ATR
KZ ZS3
KZ ED9
KS ZSR
KZ ZST
KZ ZS10
Shozy Hibiki
DZAT DF10
Zero Carbo-Tenore
TIN Audio T2
LKER 8
Superlux HD 381F
Yersen FEN-2000
TY HI Z 150Pro
Rose North Forest
Faaeal 64ohm
WIllSound MK2
Soundmagic E80S
Nuforce EDC/EDC3
Campfire Comets

Other than the Campfire Comets which cost more than allot of these guys added together, none of them really stood out heads and shoulders above their peers although there were some that I just could not get to work as far as staying in my ear, which would seem to be the first thing an earbud/IEM should be able to do which is to fit. I'm pretty much over taking all these to work with me so I can listen to and compare them. Seems like there should be an easier way to do A/B/C/D/E comparisons..

If anyone has tip recommendations for these with the exceptions of the WIllsound/Faaeal/TY HI Z 150Pro/KZ ED9 which don't need tips I'd like to hear about it.
I haven't had allot of success both in sound and fit wise with any of the included or after market memory foam tips I've tried

On the following IEMs use silicone ear hooks to keep them in place.

71eihc1sEBL.jpg

KZ ATE
KZ ATR
KS ZSR
KZ ZST
KZ ZS10

71yNfUDQ8SL-1.jpg

For the KZ ZS3 (step down one size from your usual eartip size - if you wear large then try medium, etc.)
61jgroVYw0L._SL1600_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01E4TS360/ref=cm_cr_othr_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

71Pbe+5hMHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #10,912 of 31,833
Just picked up a set of z5000s after lurking in this thread for a couple of weeks...the bass extension is impressive, but they're not really my preferred sound signature. They also don't fit my (small) ears and I'm having issues with pressure buildup, so I'm looking to sell them, if anyone's interested.

I basically never use this account, so I don't have privileges to post in the For Sale forum. I received the IEMs yesterday, and have listened to them for a total of ~4 hours. Can include a non-mic, non-stock MMCX cable.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #10,913 of 31,833
Just picked up a set of z5000s after lurking in this thread for a couple of weeks...the bass extension is impressive, but they're not really my preferred sound signature. They also don't fit my (small) ears and I'm having issues with pressure buildup, so I'm looking to sell them, if anyone's interested.

I basically never use this account, so I don't have privileges to post in the For Sale forum. I received the IEMs yesterday, and have listened to them for a total of ~4 hours. Can include a non-mic, non-stock MMCX cable.
Please try long tips on them first! Other forum member and I recently discovered it unlocks a whole lot of detail and pronunciation in the mids. Now it’s in my top 3. :)

May 23, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #10,914 of 31,833
Please try long tips on them first! Other forum member and I recently discovered it unlocks a whole lot of detail and pronunciation in the mids. Now it’s in my top 3. :)
Since I'm interested in the Z5000 as well, this information is potentially useful to me. However, I'm not sure what you mean by "long tips". Can you please provide an example?

May 23, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #10,915 of 31,833
Since I'm interested in the Z5000 as well, this information is potentially useful to me. However, I'm not sure what you mean by "long tips". Can you please provide an example?
OK long tip is where the eartip barrel is long and places the earphone a little faraway...

KZ es4 are the best KZ, if we talk about everything....it is a jack of all trade..

But, master of none....

Tried Final Audio E4000, and this gave me a goosebumps. The soundstage rivals headphone.

Imaging is also amazing, they mastered the tuning out of a 6mm driver. It is just a little slower than iBasso it01 but is way better tuned....I mean way better.

New update, TekFusion finally stopped crap marketing and fake reviews and made their iem better.

Actually they were able to tune it like the first iteration and not the nonsense beats joke second iteration.

TekFusion TwinWoofers M2.0, it sound like sound magic e10c with touch more tighter and extended bass and more clean treble and mids.

Older joke model is discontinued.

May 23, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #10,916 of 31,833
This works for me!

C7B51C2C-53BB-448A-8519-6369E004AA7D.jpeg

May 23, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #10,917 of 31,833
Here to agree on trn v60 sounds bad. I got mine 2 days back and i don't even wanna comment anything about it. The midrange is a mess ... felt too warm and muffled, clarity is severely lacking. And i thought adding the crossover will make it better... The ASE hybrid sound way better than this despite its fat bass, there is still appreciable amount of clarity and nice blend of warmth in it. In short, i enjoy the ASE hybrid but not V60. I suggest folks to put a hold on v60, it probably is just a not seriously done oem release. Better wait on for V80 which i heard should be soon next month

May 23, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #10,918 of 31,833
Here to agree on trn v60 sounds bad. I got mine 2 days back and i don't even wanna comment anything about it. The midrange is a mess ... felt too warm and muffled, clarity is severely lacking. And i thought adding the crossover will make it better... The ASE hybrid sound way better than this despite its fat bass, there is still appreciable amount of clarity and nice blend of warmth in it. In short, i enjoy the ASE hybrid but not V60. I suggest folks to put a hold on v60, it probably is just a not seriously done oem release. Better wait on for V80 which i heard should be soon next month

Ouch.

So TRN is currently only 1 out of 3 with a good sounding IEM? Not the best track record so far...I would keep that in mind before you beat down the door to get the V80.

Also, they may want to slow down on the liberal model naming, or they'll be at V9000 before they know it haha

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #10,919 of 31,833
OK long tip is where the eartip barrel is long and places the earphone a little faraway...

KZ es4 are the best KZ, if we talk about everything....it is a jack of all trade..

But, master of none....

Tried Final Audio E4000, and this gave me a goosebumps. The soundstage rivals headphone.

Imaging is also amazing, they mastered the tuning out of a 6mm driver. It is just a little slower than iBasso it01 but is way better tuned....I mean way better.

New update, TekFusion finally stopped **** marketing and fake reviews and made their iem better.

Actually they were able to tune it like the first iteration and not the nonsense beats joke second iteration.

TekFusion TwinWoofers M2.0, it sound like sound magic e10c with touch more tighter and extended bass and more clean treble and mids.

Older joke model is discontinued.
I've had my eyes on the final audio e4000

the e2k and e3k have gotten so much praise, so I expect big things from the e4000 and e5000

Seems like there are two major opinions between the e4000 and e5000; one group saying e5000 is warmer, but clearer and better, and the other saying they are extremely similar

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back