CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 22, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #10,891 of 31,833
May 22, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #10,894 of 31,833
Any reason you guys ignored my previous post?
Well we are not your slaves :) but of the ones you mentioned ZhiYin Z5000 is what I would recommend

May 22, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #10,897 of 31,833
waiting for early impressions

TRN V60 - Had a chance to burn in for 10+ hours.

F4BB3630-8721-4F6E-9967-4CA3DE309ECB.jpeg

First thing I noticed was the bass, there’s lots of it and it’s gotten tighter since first listen but it still a little slow. Can be full and overpowering on some genres but good for pop and electronic. Not sure if it’s enough for bassheads.

Mids and vocals were horribly muffled and distant with stock cable. Even with the burn in there was minimal difference so I tried stock kz 2-pin and that was a big improvement! Even better using kz’s silver plated cable. Vocals are no longer veiled or muffled. Not sure if I got a defective cable or what.

There’s no sibilance with the treble but I believe they’re being too conservative here; there’s no sparkle and lacks extension. Some instruments sound off.

Overall the sound is slightly warm and bassy. I’d like to hear better separation and bigger soundstage but not complaining too much considering price. Will give it more time but nothing stands out for me yet

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #10,898 of 31,833
so after reading this thread and buying and trying a bunch of recommended relatively inexpensive IEM/Earbid headsets that included;

KZ ATE
KZ ATR
KZ ZS3
KZ ED9
KS ZSR
KZ ZST
KZ ZS10
Shozy Hibiki
DZAT DF10
Zero Carbo-Tenore
TIN Audio T2
LKER 8
Superlux HD 381F
Yersen FEN-2000
TY HI Z 150Pro
Rose North Forest
Faaeal 64ohm
WIllSound MK2
Soundmagic E80S
Nuforce EDC/EDC3
Campfire Comets

Other than the Campfire Comets which cost more than allot of these guys added together, none of them really stood out heads and shoulders above their peers although there were some that I just could not get to work as far as staying in my ear, which would seem to be the first thing an earbud/IEM should be able to do which is to fit. I'm pretty much over taking all these to work with me so I can listen to and compare them. Seems like there should be an easier way to do A/B/C/D/E comparisons..

If anyone has tip recommendations for these with the exceptions of the WIllsound/Faaeal/TY HI Z 150Pro/KZ ED9 which don't need tips I'd like to hear about it.
I haven't had allot of success both in sound and fit wise with any of the included or after market memory foam tips I've tried

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #10,899 of 31,833
On my iems I use KZ Starlines sometimes needing large when I usually am medium size and also use MandarineEs hybrids a size smaller than usual for wide bore ones. Some I have to use double or triple flanged tips. SpinFits on others

May 22, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #10,900 of 31,833
Hello people! Very nice to meet you all. I'm new to this, so bear with me please :wink: I got a high end laptop with an SS Sabre HiFi Hi-Res Audio DAC in it, which supposedly easily drives headphones up to 600 Ohm and gets the FLAC lossless audio files to output 24bit/192kHz, so I'm looking for suggestions in the 20-40$ range for now (I'll increase budget once I train my ear).

I'll wait for Tin Audio T2 and/or ZhiYin Z5000 to be in sale as right now they are $50+ but I'm considering FAAEAL Narcissus 2.0 300ohm (28$) as it is sometimes suggested, especially since I'm a bass lover guy. I kindda get surprised IEM like the KZ ZS10 (44$) are being so praised but I guess the number of Balanced Armatures are very important.

I have read a dozen pages of this and other thread but anyway I apologize if I am still unknowledgeable. Thanks a lot for your input!

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #10,901 of 31,833
Well we are not your slaves :) but of the ones you mentioned ZhiYin Z5000 is what I would recommend
I'm a bit confused. In one of your earlier posts you mentioned that the North Forest have the better bass compared to the Z5000. Are you recommending the Z5000 as being overall the better package sound-wise (close enough low end with superior everything else), or...? Please elaborate, kind sir. :)

May 22, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #10,903 of 31,833
Just received the Baseus Encok H07's today, fitted KZ Starline tips and set them to burn in. OOTB they have a decent sound, bass ok, mids clear, highs quite extended, soundstage is average for an iem. Comfort is good (they are light). Build quality is impressive for the £5 I spent

Wow, I was totally unimpressed by mine OOTB. They got much better after I removed the tyvek filter under the nozzle mesh.

May 22, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #10,904 of 31,833
@JaimeCarlos Greetings and welcome to head-fi! Don’t worry about not knowing much as we were all new at some point, something some people tend to forget. As long as you’re willing to read up to learn, you’ll be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back