CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 9, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #21,526 of 31,833
I'll have to look into those, I think I remember the V90 being mentioned in a few comparisons I looked at. Helps to have input on those from someone who doesn't do well with tons of treble, thanks!

Just a note on the C12 and CCA. I have the C10, and it actually kind of relates to your specifications. If there's one thing I can say about the C10, it's "Clarity." The "Clear Concept Audio" brand is not a misnomer. Voices are among the clearest I have on any IEMs, including ones that cost 8x as much.

And the C10 is smooth. It went in the direction of rounding off peaks and removing harshness. The C10 is known as a 'clear sounding, but maybe boring' IEM, and that's accurate. If you're concerned about peaks, harshness, and brightness, the C10 addressed a lot of those problems, but at the expense of excitement (for some). The C10 is mid-focused, it's beefy in the midrange.

Based on its reputation and user comments, the C12 is trying to provide a somewhat analytical, reference sound. Its treble is more aggressive and probably brighter than the C10. It may even be more peaky in the treble than the ZSX.

Honestly, the C12 is a pretty low-risk purchase for you. Even though it is a little harsher than the ZSX and C10 maybe, it's not designed as an aggressive IEM. For $30, you can afford to make a potential mistake here. However, you might also wish to consider a C10 at $20, as it is the most polite and inoffensive Chi-Fi IEM I have ever heard.

---

I also just started testing a V90 yesterday. So far, it seems smoother and softer than expected. It does not have a supercharged treble like the V80, it seems to be a more polite tuning. I haven't experienced much in the way of harshness or peaks yet. Bass is powerful, maybe a little boomier than I like. If you are looking for a bass-oriented IEM with non-harsh tuning, the V90 might be it.

However, I have ordered the TRN BA5 because I would like a TRN that is less bass-focused, and I've heard good things.

In conclusion, you should seriously consider the V90 (non-harsh bass), ZSX (a less-harsh KZ), and the C10 (smooth and polite). The C12 is also a low-risk option.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #21,528 of 31,833
What if he lives in a van, down by the river
I felt this. It hit me like a train lmao. Relatable .
However, he can always sell the van :wink:

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #21,529 of 31,833
Just a note on the C12 and CCA. I have the C10, and it actually kind of relates to your specifications. If there's one thing I can say about the C10, it's "Clarity." The "Clear Concept Audio" brand is not a misnomer. Voices are among the clearest I have on any IEMs, including ones that cost 8x as much.

And the C10 is smooth. It went in the direction of rounding off peaks and removing harshness. The C10 is known as a 'clear sounding, but maybe boring' IEM, and that's accurate. If you're concerned about peaks, harshness, and brightness, the C10 addressed a lot of those problems, but at the expense of excitement (for some). The C10 is mid-focused, it's beefy in the midrange.

Based on its reputation and user comments, the C12 is trying to provide a somewhat analytical, reference sound. Its treble is more aggressive and probably brighter than the C10. It may even be more peaky in the treble than the ZSX.

Honestly, the C12 is a pretty low-risk purchase for you. Even though it is a little harsher than the ZSX and C10 maybe, it's not designed as an aggressive IEM. For $30, you can afford to make a potential mistake here. However, you might also wish to consider a C10 at $20, as it is the most polite and inoffensive Chi-Fi IEM I have ever heard.

---

I also just started testing a V90 yesterday. So far, it seems smoother and softer than expected. It does not have a supercharged treble like the V80, it seems to be a more polite tuning. I haven't experienced much in the way of harshness or peaks yet. Bass is powerful, maybe a little boomier than I like. If you are looking for a bass-oriented IEM with non-harsh tuning, the V90 might be it.

However, I have ordered the TRN BA5 because I would like a TRN that is less bass-focused, and I've heard good things.

In conclusion, you should seriously consider the V90 (non-harsh bass), ZSX (a less-harsh KZ), and the C10 (smooth and polite). The C12 is also a low-risk option.
Couldn't agree more, I found the CC12 to be mid-centric, meaning vocals were elevated.
I'm treble sensitive and did not find the CC12 to be fatiguing, in the upper frequencies. But the elevated vocals were not to my tastes; kind of rubbed me like an inappropriate, drunk uncle.
I opted to go with the TRN V90s and pass the CC12 to my friend (who lives on 80' Rock); they were a revelation for him and he couldn't be happier.

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #21,530 of 31,833
With the rise of CHIFI the past 2 years, we can get quite good sound nowadays for cheap, so most of us on headfi have multiple CHIFI IEMs, some even have duplicates or triplicates of the same IEM.

Though personally, if I have to keep only one IEM, it would be the Audiosense T800 for me. It has the best isolation and details/clarity of the CHIFI I own, and is quite good for most genres. I use it for commuting, stage monitoring and music listening.

If it had to be a sub $100 IEM (as per this thread) keeper set, I would go for the Toneking Ninetails. Since it has front/rear tuning filters, there are 9 potential sound signature configurations (from V shaped to basshead to neutralish tuning). So it's many IEMs in one IEM, it can be tuned to whatever mood/music genre preferences you want.

Wow, you nailed my 2 choices!

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #21,531 of 31,833
I'm a little confused by this though hahaha
Why do you think the tuning won't be bang for buck?
I might be just overthinking, but I genuinely cannot understand the answer
Just a bit of doubt but if it does sounds good, then it will be end of year hype

Dec 9, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #21,532 of 31,833
Just a bit of doubt but if it does sounds good, then it will be end of year hype
Thanks for clarifying. I'm with you on the doubt. Couldn't agree more, I said it before, the EA3 has the high-res certificate among many others certificates. All those certificates cost money, the case included, extra ear tips.. Seems too good to be true, but I'd still buy it over the V90.. just because. Which is kind of dumb, but it's worth a gamble.
To me it seems kind of impossible to pack all the accessories and the presentation with the best sound.. there must be a compromise.. otherwise, like you said it will receive hype.
Now I don't have the New Head-Fier tag, so hopefully I have some luck in the campaign. Fiio is a well respected company, so these shouldn't be terrible, if the tuning isn't on the best side.. well then *shrugs*

Dec 9, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #21,533 of 31,833
The more I look into all the options, the more it makes me want to say "screw it" and just order everything lol

Once upon a time I started with one...the $20 UrbanFun HiFi, which I have since traded away because it was a little too bright. Probably just needed a slight mod or different tips. Check out my current list. Maybe you should run away while you still can:)

Dec 9, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #21,534 of 31,833
Thanks for clarifying. I'm with you on the doubt. Couldn't agree more, I said it before, the EA3 has the high-res certificate among many others certificates. All those certificates cost money, the case included, extra ear tips.. Seems too good to be true, but I'd still buy it over the V90.. just because. Which is kind of dumb, but it's worth a gamble.
To me it seems kind of impossible to pack all the accessories and the presentation with the best sound.. there must be a compromise.. otherwise, like you said it will receive hype.
Now I don't have the New Head-Fier tag, so hopefully I have some luck in the campaign. Fiio is a well respected company, so these shouldn't be terrible, if the tuning isn't on the best side.. well then *shrugs*
Let hope so ;D

Dec 9, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #21,535 of 31,833
After some serious burn-in (more than 120 hours) and playing with EQ and tips, now I can say the Hibiscus are really a good set for the price. First of all, my red unit does not have any shell issues, I was lucky with that. These have an evident treble roll-off, but they play very well with equalization. Apart from all these tricks, the main difference is that, OOTB, they were unlistenable, with a weird and hollow sound. Brain burn-in? As I said in a previous message, I'm not a believer in physical burn-in but, in this case, the earphones have been playing non-stop in the A50, and I have barely used them 2-3 hours through this time. One noticeable difference is in voices, initially they sounded totally unnatural, and it was evident when switching to any other pair. Now, they differ in presentation (more upfront or laid back) or positioning, but as it is when comparing any pair of IEMs.

All that said, I assume these are not an easy recommendation, as they require a lot of work and patience to show their capabilities.

Dec 9, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #21,536 of 31,833
I said it before, the EA3 has the high-res certificate among many others certificates. All those certificates cost money...

Be aware that much of the time, those certificates are as fake as a $3 bill.

Fake High Res certification, fake CE, fake Underwriters Laboratory, TUV, COC rating, etc. After all, anyone can Photoshop these logos onto the box, Photoshop the certificate documents, etc.

Many Chinese products are made in obscure pop-up factories, by companies with convoluted ownership, and often ODM or rebranded logos by or for someone else. It’s basically the Wild West, and nearly impossible for many of these certification bodies to track, trace, or prosecute violators.

Not to mention fake Knowles drivers, etc.

So my advice is to not get wrapped up in the certificates, or the marketing mumbo jumbo, any much of the other fluff.

All that matters (besides service and support) is the resulting end product - whether it’s good or bad, good tuning, Bluetooth that doesn’t constantly disconnect, electronics that don’t overheat or freeze, screens without ghost lines and bad pixels, etc.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #21,537 of 31,833

Fake High Res certification, fake CE, fake Underwriters Laboratory, TUV, COC rating, etc. After all, anyone can Photoshop these logos onto the box, Photoshop the certificate documents, etc.

Many Chinese products are made in obscure pop-up factories, by companies with convoluted ownership, and often ODM or rebranded logos by or for someone else. It’s basically the Wild West, and nearly impossible for many of these certification bodies to track, trace, or prosecute violators.

So my advice is to ignore certificates, or the marketing mumbo jumbo, any much of the other fluff. It’s the resulting end product that matters - whether it’s good or bad, good tuning, Bluetooth that doesn’t constantly disconnect, electronics that don’t overheat or freeze, screens without ghost lines and bad pixels, etc.

Like many organizations that offer certifications, there are ways to check to see if something is actually certified. In the case of the Hi-res Audio Logo, there is an easy to use online database that lists every single Company/Brand/Category that has been certified, so if you're in doubt, you can check:

https://www.jas-audio.or.jp/english/hi-res-logo-en/use-situation-en

Dec 9, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #21,539 of 31,833

Not to mention fake Knowles drivers, etc.

So my advice is to ignore certificates, or the marketing mumbo jumbo, any much of the other fluff. It’s the resulting end product that matters - whether it’s good or bad, good tuning, Bluetooth that doesn’t constantly disconnect, electronics that don’t overheat or freeze, screens without ghost lines and bad pixels, etc.
Funnily enough, I have never thought about this. I would assume everything would be legit.. I forgot that this is Chi-Fi. Thank you for bringing this up, I'll keep it in mind. I don't know, Jade Audio hypnotized me with their presentation, even though the V90 has a better construction, a metal one.
Overall interesting, thanks Slater for bringing this up.

Dec 9, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #21,540 of 31,833
Like many organizations that offer certifications, there are ways to check to see if something is actually certified. In the case of the Hi-res Audio Logo, there is an easy to use online database that lists every single Company/Brand/Category that has been certified, so if you're in doubt, you can check:

https://www.jas-audio.or.jp/english/hi-res-logo-en/use-situation-en

Yes, but many things are rebranded and ODMd. Those databases only work for the big name stuff. QKZ doesn’t even make their own stuff, it’s all rebranded. Yet the VK1 is high res certified. It just won’t be in the database under QKZ VK1, but might be listed under Shenzhen Bing Bang Choi Potato Limited Co.

Look at how much stuff is made by Estron for others, or TFZ or KZ making stuff for other people. Heck, Asus and Acer make loads of laptops that are branded HP or Dell.

How the general public is supposed to know the true company is beyond me. The point is that they couldn’t.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back