CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 8, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #20,761 of 31,834
The price of the BLONs this November is pretty good, it's a steal at USD26. Too bad the fit is atrocious and blocks almost no noise when you're in the train. Since the fit isn't as snug as other IEMs, the bass quantity is lowered to a level that I appreciate while keeping the mids and highs fairly well.

even with snug seal, the Blon seems to have smaller isolation than other IEMs that i own. i agree with you that the Blon is one of those IEMs that doesn't suffer too much on the mids and treble when it shifted a bit on the ears.

In general the multi BAs without vents tend to have better isolation than DDs like the BLON. DDs with their bigger profile (in general) and vents usually have poorer isolation, but even so, the BLON is one of the weaker isolating DD IEMs IMHO.

I personally won't recommend the BLON as a transit IEM due to this. Cause one would tend to boost the volume higher to overcome the surrounding noise and that's not too safe for hearing longterm. Maybe foam tips might help with isolation a tad. YMMV.

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #20,762 of 31,834
In general the multi BAs without vents tend to have better isolation than DDs like the BLON. DDs with their bigger profile (in general) and vents usually have poorer isolation, but even so, the BLON is one of the weaker isolating DD IEMs IMHO.

I personally won't recommend the BLON as a transit IEM due to this. Cause one would tend to boost the volume higher to overcome the surrounding noise and that's not too safe for hearing longterm. Maybe foam tips might help with isolation a tad. YMMV.

it seems the outside sound is bleeding from the body and comes through the nozzle (at least what i think i hear), not from the breaking of the tip seal.. so i don't think even using foams would give it more noise isolation.
it is similar noise bleed like from my other "vented" IEMs like the MT100 and Tinhifis. the Kanas, which is also dynamic drivers, is a great IEM for rejecting outside noise, might be because it is significantly thicker shell.

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #20,763 of 31,834
I need an inexpensive IEM (so I won't regret it if I lose it) with a design that will completely block out all external sounds, that's easy to drive and sounds super clear and (musical?) even with airplane noise and screaming kids nearby. I lost my Bose QC20s and need to find some IEMs to replace them for an business trip next week. A 10 hour flight over and back.
I have the Tape, BGVP DM6, BLON 03, TIN T2, **** ****, GuideRay GR-i18, RevoNext 202, and a bunch of others but only the Tape and the DM6 truly block external noise without having to crank up the volume. I was think of the Sony 755 or Final E1000 but they don't block out all noise like the other 2.
Been thinking of making some custom ear pieces to fit one of my IEMs into

Suggestions?

You can't go wrong with KZ ZS3E. It's practically an ear plug that plays music.
Second that!
I've got a pair packed away somewhere
Then USE those! :wink:

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #20,764 of 31,834
Thought it was a bit old, the Pai Audio's DR2 is sure a hidden gem and it can be compared to my daily driver, TFZ No. 3 & T2 galaxy.

I have no problem with the fit, only at the beginning, I was just too dumb to not know how to wear them properly. But once you get the right angle, it would sit nicely in your ear + you would get a very good noise canceling. E.g. when my colleagues calls me while I'm wearing the DR2, I couldn't hear them at all.

To me, DR2's bass is even more deeper and punchier than the no. 3, which has been regarded as one of the best basshead IEM. Though it sacrificed the mid (recessed). And for the treble, it was still crunchy & sparkly to my ear, but there was no sibilance at all. And Yes, it's a V-shaped IEM, which most people here I see avoided it. But I don't really care.

The rumble of the DR2 is very good. The details, separations are also great too, IMHO. The decay is fast, very suitable for the EDM type or the modern songs.

Lastly, for the soundstage, I can clearly feel that the DR2 have a bigger stage than the No. 3/T2 Galaxy and a little bit more than the BLON 03.

To sum it up, it's one of the good IEM for the bassheads like me :p

One more thing that's worth mentioning here is the beautiful housing of the DR2. Love the look very much.
20191108_153036.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #20,765 of 31,834
IMG_20191024_032354.jpg IMG_20191024_032242.jpg IMG_20191024_032404.jpg
Eventually getting round to some quality HF time. So the earphones i got on eBay for 77p on Auction for brand new TOYETEAM TX 601 are actually a really fun, engaging sound. I love the build and the thin cable is surprisingly flexible and strong. It's very similar to the ones used by Dunu DN 1000 and 2000. Sound is silky smooth, not thick or too thin and actually decently detailed mids. You find the right tip and you get lovely bass response. Quick and agile, with accurate notes. Spinfits with their deeper fit gets you a quality earphone for EDM, dance, Hip Hop. modern chart pop but loses some air. Superb power.

I found a smaller tip gets you the best detail levels. Treble isn't greatly extended but has decent detail still and it's not a dark sound. It's not your typical BA driver sound. Soundstage is the star probably down to the 3 little vents on teh inner shell... it's narrow but is very well layered and quite airy. Layering back to front is quite cool. Jazz is very nice as it instruments sound very natural, drums especially. Quite impressive for such a smooth overall sound. It reminds me of the Moondrop Crescent but clearer due to mids not being as full.

Would i have paid £80 full price and been happy? Hmmm, difficult one, probably not though... although i wouldn't have sent it back or think I've been short changed as it is a very fun sound and it's soundstage works very well for jazz actually. It's a very well built shell, I do find occasionally with the tip I prefer it comes out a bit and needs put back in too the right place for best bass response (I have small ears though and the inner shape of the left is different to the right lol). It's a more cohesive, organic sound than your KZ offerings most definitely, no crazy unnatural peaks anywhere, quite linear actually, but price wise I reckon it should be more in line with something like the BQEYZ BQ3, Crescent, so perhaps £40-50. I'd expect slightly more detail for £80.

TOYETEAM TX 601
https://penonaudio.com/toyeteam-tx601.html

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #20,768 of 31,834
Which cable is good for tin t2 under 10$?
need suggestions

Nov 9, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #20,769 of 31,834
Which cable is good for tin t2 under 10$?
need suggestions
Gray 16-core TRN T2 looks good with my Tin T2 and not just because of the name :) Or gray NiceHCK 8-core may be nice too. But by the sound, the Tin T2 stock cable is pretty good and I don't feel any difference unlike stock cable from TRN.

Nov 9, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #20,770 of 31,834
Gray 16-core TRN T2 looks good with my Tin T2 and not just because of the name :) Or gray NiceHCK 8-core may be nice too. But by the sound, the Tin T2 stock cable is pretty good and I don't feel any difference unlike stock cable from TRN.
my stock cable has lately became very tangly so i was looking for new cable for them :D

Nov 9, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #20,771 of 31,834
Yes, it is true, TRN T2 is bit thicker and therefore does not entangle so much, but they give bahind the ears, so it is better to swap L / R

P.S. Sorry about the hair of our dog in the picture, they are everywhere now :)

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #20,774 of 31,834
Thought it was a bit old, the Pai Audio's DR2 is sure a hidden gem and it can be compared to my daily driver, TFZ No. 3 & T2 galaxy.

I have no problem with the fit, only at the beginning, I was just too dumb to not know how to wear them properly. But once you get the right angle, it would sit nicely in your ear + you would get a very good noise canceling. E.g. when my colleagues calls me while I'm wearing the DR2, I couldn't hear them at all.

To me, DR2's bass is even more deeper and punchier than the no. 3, which has been regarded as one of the best basshead IEM. Though it sacrificed the mid (recessed). And for the treble, it was still crunchy & sparkly to my ear, but there was no sibilance at all. And Yes, it's a V-shaped IEM, which most people here I see avoided it. But I don't really care.

The rumble of the DR2 is very good. The details, separations are also great too, IMHO. The decay is fast, very suitable for the EDM type or the modern songs.

Lastly, for the soundstage, I can clearly feel that the DR2 have a bigger stage than the No. 3/T2 Galaxy and a little bit more than the BLON 03.

To sum it up, it's one of the good IEM for the bassheads like me :p

One more thing that's worth mentioning here is the beautiful housing of the DR2. Love the look very much.

Nice review. I read somewhere that the DR2 is identical in sound to the Hill Audio Altair RA IEM.

How's the DR2's clarity/details/instrument separation vs the TFZ No. 3?
And how's the timbre for DR2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back