CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 27, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #20,508 of 31,832
Have you really tried yourself?
The guide for the impedance values is very tentative. If an amplifier provides enough voltage (9 V in this case seems sufficient if you run ballpark current estimates), then individual experience will vary, as they say.

It's tentative and you can get away with, for example, a single 32 ohms DD on a 20 ohms device.

But a 9 ohms, all balanced armatures on a 40 ohms monster power device?

If by "sparkle" he means hiss and other artefacts then why not...

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #20,509 of 31,832
It's tentative and you can get away with, for example, a single 32 ohms DD on a 20 ohms device.

But a 9 ohms, all balanced armatures on a 40 ohms monster power device?

If by "sparkle" he means hiss and other artefacts then why not...
Hissing is determined by signal-to-noise, which is more of a problem of low-voltage sources in combination with low-impedance IEMs.
Then one of the simplest solution to minimize hiss of low-impedance IEMs is actually to add a resistance adapter.
The point being, Ohm values alone are not sufficient to make reliable predictions.

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #20,510 of 31,832
Hissing is determined by signal-to-noise, which is more of a problem of low-voltage sources in combination with low-impedance IEMs.
Then one of the simplest solution to minimize hiss of low-impedance IEMs is actually to add a resistance adapter.
The point being, Ohm values alone are not sufficient to make reliable predictions.

I agree with u.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/is-...y-more-influential-in-hiss-for-an-iem.915705/

I asked this question above in the sound science forum and the consensus is that high sensitivity is the main factor that determines hiss. Very low impedance might affect hiss to a lesser extent.

Adding an impedance mismatch device or inline volume controller can help hiss but it might degrade audio quality. Adding an amp seems to be the most reliable way to eliminate hiss in highly sensitive IEMs without compromising on sound.

Oct 28, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #20,511 of 31,832
The risk with adding impedance is not hiss, it’s that the frequency is response on a multi-driver iem will get weird. But that specific effect will vary from iem to iem, because it depends on the drivers and how they’re wired.

There can also be negative impact on a single DD in the form of “bloated” bass, although this can also be a matter of taste. I like my single DD IEMs with my high impedance amp.

But testing it with my new Spring 1 (which isn’t even a low-impedance or sensitive IEM) produces mids that sounded like they were underwater.

Oct 28, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #20,512 of 31,832
Is there anything better than the BLON 03 at under $100? My first impulse purchase after a long time and these sound amazing for $35. I haven't heard my UE triple.fi 10 in a long time since I sold them but if I recall correctly these would be almost as good (less peaky treble here but still detailed while the triple.fi 10 has better punch / extension to its bass but these are definitely no slouch.

Oct 28, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #20,513 of 31,832

I was referring to the thought this pairing would add "sparkle". Given balanced armatures FR goes all over the place on high Z output gear, it can result in hiss if that peaks on a very high frequency (but not necessarily), or create other artefacts.

There are much better ways to feed a 9 ohms multi bas iem than a 40 ohms dual 9V powerhouse, just as I wouldn't pair those iems with a tube amp personally but sure, roll a dice and go ahead if you like.

Oct 28, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #20,514 of 31,832
Is there anything better than the BLON 03 at under $100? My first impulse purchase after a long time and these sound amazing for $35. I haven't heard my UE triple.fi 10 in a long time since I sold them but if I recall correctly these would be almost as good (less peaky treble here but still detailed while the triple.fi 10 has better punch / extension to its bass but these are definitely no slouch.

What are your music genre preferences and preferred sound signature?

Are you looking for a single DD type IEM like the BLON BL-03 or you don't mind hybrids/multi BA type IEMs? Cause multi BA/hybrids vs DD IEMs have their inherent strengths and weaknesses between the 2 transducer types.

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #20,519 of 31,832
Oct 28, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #20,520 of 31,832
Oops... I have to take back what I said regarding the BLON BL-03. I knew that they were very tip dependent and I tried around 9 different tips and settled on the best, but the bass still seemed boomy and overpowering. What I've now realized is that I was pushing them too deeply into my ears and it must have been covering the vents on the inside of the housing. I don't know why I was focused so much on getting a good seal and didn't think about the depth of insertion. Normally I pay attention to all of that stuff. Now I'm using a shallower insertion and they sound excellent. I'm not sure yet exactly where they stand relative to the TFZ T2 and TRN V90--I'll need to listen and compare them more extensively to do that--but I'm happy that I'm now getting the sound I was expecting out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back