CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 18, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #19,831 of 31,833
KP imaging is blurry compared to KB100.
That one comes as surprise to me :confused:
IMHO KPE imaging is great and at same level with my desk setup. No blur to my ears.
Not sure about ZSX but your words show some assurance that KZ has finally improved @ BA highs.

Sep 18, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #19,832 of 31,833
But when you skip quite model numbers, you can heard the differences.
That's what I'm at right now. No more sub-$100 multi-BA hybrids for a while until someone rolls out a real game changer (which may happen at any time).
It's not that I don't like my KZ, CCA etc... hybrids anymore, but quite a few of them are just gathering dust these days. Besides, I bought some more higher-end single DDs and two-way IEMs lately and to my ears they play at least two tiers above any of my xy chi-fi hybrids - I don't regret a single cent I paid for them.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #19,834 of 31,833
That one comes as surprise to me :confused:
IMHO KPE imaging is great and at same level with my desk setup. No blur to my ears.
Not sure about ZSX but your words show some assurance that KZ has finally improved @ BA highs.

That surprise me too, but you need to hear BQEYZ imaging by yourself. KP is not blurry, but in comparison with KB100, KB100 more precise in imaging for me. I love my KP also, we were sharing much things about KP right.

That's what I'm at right now. No more sub-$100 multi-BA hybrids for a while until someone rolls out a real game changer (which may happen at any time).
It's not that I don't like my KZ, CCA etc... hybrids anymore, but quite a few of them are just gathering dust these days. Besides, I bought some more higher-end single DDs and two-way IEMs lately and to my ears they play at least two tiers above any of my xy chi-fi hybrids - I don't regret a single cent I paid for them.

Yeah, if you are ready to jump back to KZ, ZSX is goodtime to try back. Im glad I took the risk, and not a flop this time.

Hi there! i'm new here, before i make an impulsive purchase based on the current "hype", are the KZ ZSX harsh on highs?

a little bit sharper on high mids, not trebles, but only if youre listening on higher volume. Its not harsh like ZSN or ZS10 regular era, they are much better but still a little bit edgy around that 3-6khz frequencies

Sep 18, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #19,835 of 31,833
A million people recommended me the KB100. :wink: You are special but others did as well.

I wish I stopped buying KZ's sooner... it's time for a holiday. I'm looking forward to hearing about new iems still though.

I now find other brands much nicer sounding.

Get those KB100 you'll cherish them. Fantastic at $50!

Sep 18, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #19,836 of 31,833
...they are much better but still a little bit edgy around that 3-6khz frequencies
...and that`s why I`m still not sure about ZSX. Still edgy...

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #19,837 of 31,833
...and that`s why I`m still not sure about ZSX. Still edgy...

Its way better than previous KZ, i think the only cons that KZ left by now is that thing, edgy / little sharp in the end, especially high mids area. You wont hear that until you reach very high volume though. Could be Im just picky person or... haha.. well seriously I shouldn't complaint if looking at the price, they are really2 good for $50

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #19,838 of 31,833
Its way better than previous KZ, i think the only cons that KZ left by now is that thing, edgy / little sharp in the end, especially high mids area. You wont hear that until you reach very high volume though. Could be Im just picky person or... haha.. well seriously I shouldn't complaint if looking at the price, they are really2 good for $50
What source/amp are you using with ZSX and what is their sound signature? Will ZSX pair better with warmish source and benefit from amping?
And how reactive it is to output impedance (looking back at ZS5v1 here if ya know what I`m talking about).
With my gear, ZS5v1 is still my "secret love" and I actually grab it over IT01 (reminds me that I should do overlapping graph of all those 3).

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #19,839 of 31,833
I know what you mean. I used to be a KZ fanboy when they first released the KZ5 and KZ6 a couple of years back and the KZs were my first foray into the CHIFI world. They were an eyeopener for their great price compared to the westone and shures I was buying back then.
IMHO, the KZs are still good and affordable entry IEMs for the sub $50 USD market and they have some recent stellar offerings like the KZ ZS10 Pro (which is my daily commuting driver), and I read good things about the recent ZSX and ZS7.
But as I dug deeper down the rabbit hole, I realized there are other excellent CHIFI brands out there, and honestly nowadays I'm neutral to KZ products.
KZ probably still holds the market share in the sub $50 market, but at the $100 - 200 USD market, there are better brands than KZ IMHO. KZ weren't too successful when they released the KZ AS16 at > $100 USD. But seems KZ has been getting more hits than misses lately, and they seem to be shifting to the OEM area where they make shells and IEMs for other fledgling CHIFI companies.

I'd probably agree with you there, i think in the the low cost end of the budget market KZ have to be respected for what they've done and maybe even for setting a standard for other Chi-Fi brands to adhere too. From early dynamics like the ATE, ATR, ED9 to decent hybrids like the ZS5, ZSN... all excellent choices at their time for budding audiophiles to afford and start in this wonderfully expensive hobby of ours. But over a short amount of time SO MANY other new brands have entered this crowded market and the bar keeps getting raised.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #19,840 of 31,833
What source/amp are you using with ZSX and what is their sound signature? Will ZSX pair better with warmish source and benefit from amping?
And how reactive it is to output impedance (looking back at ZS5v1 here if ya know what I`m talking about).
With my gear, ZS5v1 is still my "secret love" and I actually grab it over IT01 (reminds me that I should do overlapping graph of all those 3).

I was trying the ZSX with my V40, BT20, fiio m6, and sonata HD. By default ZSX isnt on bright side iem. They are slightly warm and a bit thick because of the bass. With warmish source the low end, on mid bass and lower mids become more thick, for me personally i would like to pair them with more neutral source to make bass little tighter while trebles are still far safe from sibilances.
Oh and ZSX not so sensitive, a little hiss can be heard but not much while relatively easy to drive

btw 3 days burning and ZSX on around 50 hours, they are more smooth now. I dont heard harsh or shouty on high mids anymore unless from bad recording or imbalance tracks. separation and soundstage is amazing. Again this is best KZ to date for me (but I have heard good things about TRN V90 too, some people found V90 better on few aspects, still waiting for that too)

Sep 19, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #19,841 of 31,833
Yeah, if you are ready to jump back to KZ, ZSX is goodtime to try back. Im glad I took the risk, and not a flop this time.
It's not specifically about KZ but multi-BA budget hybrids with simple passive crossovers. Every time I come back to any of those IEMs after days with my single DDs and/or two-way hybrids (NO crossovers!) the soundstage and especially imaging of those IEMs strikes me as artificial or what some folks call 'holographic' - no surprise. At the end of the day it all boils down to individual perception and preferences and again for me it's back to the roots - simple one or two-driver configs with clean transients and no unnecessary phase issues - that's where my money goes these days and I don't expect that to change anytime soon - YMMV.

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #19,842 of 31,833
It's not specifically about KZ but multi-BA budget hybrids with simple passive crossovers. Every time I come back to any of those IEMs after days with my single DDs and/or two-way hybrids (NO crossovers!) the soundstage and especially imaging of those IEMs strikes me as artificial or what some folks call 'holographic' - no surprise. At the end of the day it all boils down to individual perception and preferences and again for me it's back to the roots - simple one or two-driver configs with clean transients and no unnecessary phase issues - that's where my money goes these days and I don't expect that to change anytime soon - YMMV.
Tend to agree. There’s something not right about the cheaper multi BA set ups. Haven’t ever bought a KZ but some of the others I’ve had haven’t felt...erm, dynamic or deep enough for my liking. Not sure about the artificial stage but they certainly don’t satisfy and there’s certainly sometimes a nasty unnatural sharpness to some of the cheaper Chinese BA set ups that occurs when they attempt to strive too hard for details.
I’ll rarely if ever go for BA only IEMs now. Good, simple and well tuned DD’s or hybrids are the way to go at the cheaper end. But things are changing a bit higher up...

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #19,843 of 31,833
KZs are the aural equivalent of a telly that is set up to look good in a shop. At first they are stunning, the level of detail is amazing. Then you realise it just all sounds wrong. Though I oddly don't hate my KBear F1. I prefer DD only setups at the lower end of the market but the F1 is very competent. The TRN V80 isn't as bad as the ZS10 but comparitive listening Vs any of my DD IEMs shows them up. In and of themselves they are pretty good though.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #19,844 of 31,833
KZs are the aural equivalent of a telly that is set up to look good in a shop. At first they are stunning, the level of detail is amazing. Then you realise it just all sounds wrong. Though I oddly don't hate my KBear F1. I prefer DD only setups at the lower end of the market but the F1 is very competent. The TRN V80 isn't as bad as the ZS10 but comparitive listening Vs any of my DD IEMs shows them up. In and of themselves they are pretty good though.
I didn't tried the Kbear, but a friend of mine did, he said those have way less detail but also less brilliant than ZSN Pro, i don't know if they are worth it against those

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #19,845 of 31,833
Tbh I've not tried the zsn pro. I'm a bit down on the whole BA/hybrid IEMs generally. Bought them to see if it was BAs per se or poor integration that I hate. The F1 is a bit limited in the treble and very limited in the bass. Compares somewhat to the Tin T2. Maybe a bit more detail and the timbre is slightly off but not terrible. It seems fairly good with Ska music compared to my other kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back