CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 17, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #19,816 of 31,833
So like a weirdo I've ordered two pairs of IEMs expecting to hate both. The **** and KBear F1 (generic driver) have just turned up. As for the others, straight out of the box "omg these are awful - why the hell does anyone rate these. *swaps tips for foams* oh that's why. Definitely trade blows with the BL-01. Couldn't say yet which I prefer.
The KBear F1 trades blows with the Blon BL-01? Is it a tie?

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #19,817 of 31,833
The KZ ZS10 could be described as steely I guess. They were my first ChiFi IEM and I love them for that but next to my other stuff they sound terrible. The timbre is just wrong to my ears. Great detail but it always sounds like a recording and not music.
We should never trust a person who blindly professes how great a KZ iem is unless they say they have put them up against other brands iems and they still won. :wink:

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #19,818 of 31,833
Nice write-up. I love the CNT-1, and I've got a No. 3 arriving any day now, so I guess I'd better get a Ninetails too, eh?

Well as I said they are all sidegrades IMHO. Ninetails does give value add cause u can tune it and customize 9 ways.
But I'm seriously considering to sell my TFZ No. 3 ever since I got the CNT1. No.3 still has the best bass (quality and quantity) in my CHIFI collection, but it's becoming a one trick pony for me, only excelling well at bass forward music. Well I would be interested in your impressions of the No. 3 vs CNT1 too once u get it!

Thank-you so much for pointing this out. I have a CNT1 on the way, and I have been thinking about the No. 3 as my next purchase. Primarily because of sound isolation.

Do you find that the No. 3 isolates noticeably better? If so, there is a reason to get it as a transit IEM. I understand that the Ninetails has weaker isolation.

Ninetails isolation is below average, No.3 has better isolation for sure, but I would say for isolation No.3 is only above average compared to other CHIFI IEMs.
No. 3 is easily drivable though, so it might make a good transit IEM.
I'm gonna try out the CNT1 over the next week in subways and buses but from having spent almost half a day with the CNT1, I would class its isolation as good as the No. 3.

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #19,819 of 31,833
We should never trust a person who blindly professes how great a KZ iem is unless they say they have put them up against other brands iems and they still won. :wink:

didn't I that recommended you the BQEYZ KB100? KB100 are my best sub $50, definitely take that over KZ ZS10 PRO or T2 or something else. But i have to admit tough call now with ZSX, they just great. V90 is coming for me btw, will compare both iem later. I never be a KZ fanboy, more towards KZ haters from the perspective of KZ fanboys, even though I was just trying to tell my honest impressions.

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #19,820 of 31,833
didn't I that recommended you the BQEYZ KB100? I never be a KZ fanboy, more towards KZ haters from the perspective of KZ fanboys, even though I was just trying to tell my honest impressions.
A million people recommended me the KB100. :wink: You are special but others did as well.

I wish I stopped buying KZ's sooner... it's time for a holiday. I'm looking forward to hearing about new iems still though.

I now find other brands much nicer sounding.

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #19,821 of 31,833
A million people recommended me the KB100. :wink: You are special but others did as well.

I wish I stopped buying KZ's sooner... it's time for a holiday. I'm looking forward to hearing about new iems still though.

I now find other brands much nicer sounding.

I know what you mean. I used to be a KZ fanboy when they first released the KZ5 and KZ6 a couple of years back and the KZs were my first foray into the CHIFI world. They were an eyeopener for their great price compared to the westone and shures I was buying back then.
IMHO, the KZs are still good and affordable entry IEMs for the sub $50 USD market and they have some recent stellar offerings like the KZ ZS10 Pro (which is my daily commuting driver), and I read good things about the recent ZSX and ZS7.
But as I dug deeper down the rabbit hole, I realized there are other excellent CHIFI brands out there, and honestly nowadays I'm neutral to KZ products.
KZ probably still holds the market share in the sub $50 market, but at the $100 - 200 USD market, there are better brands than KZ IMHO. KZ weren't too successful when they released the KZ AS16 at > $100 USD. But seems KZ has been getting more hits than misses lately, and they seem to be shifting to the OEM area where they make shells and IEMs for other fledgling CHIFI companies.

Sep 18, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #19,822 of 31,833
I know what you mean. I used to be a KZ fanboy when they first released the KZ5 and KZ6 a couple of years back and the KZs were my first foray into the CHIFI world. They were an eyeopener for their great price compared to the westone and shures I was buying back then.
IMHO, the KZs are still good and affordable entry IEMs for the sub $50 USD market and they have some recent stellar offerings like the KZ ZS10 Pro (which is my daily commuting driver), and I read good things about the recent ZSX and ZS7.
But as I dug deeper down the rabbit hole, I realized there are other excellent CHIFI brands out there, and honestly nowadays I'm neutral to KZ products.
KZ probably still holds the market share in the sub $50 market, but at the $100 - 200 USD market, there are better brands than KZ IMHO. KZ weren't too successful when they released the KZ AS16 at > $100 USD. But seems KZ has been getting more hits than misses lately, and they seem to be shifting to the OEM area where they make shells and IEMs for other fledgling CHIFI companies.

Because they were selling usual KZ stuff, with more or less same quality just at higher price, who knows they can sell it on above $100. And then back to ZSX with $50, they are comeback.
Couldn't agree more they are 1 of the market leader on sub $50 segment. Unless they are trying to use higher level components, its hard to compete on $100-300 level. But currently the state of chifi is hotter than ever, sooo many stuff and a lot stuff sounds soooo good. crazy!

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #19,823 of 31,833
Hi @BadReligionPunk , i just received my Semkarch CNT1 today and I'm still burning it in and doing tests, but I'm impressed with it.
From initial impressions, I would say keep the CNT1 as the TFZ No. 3 and Nine Tails are sidegrades with marginal improvements in terms of sound quality. Actually this is not surprising as the CNT1 was original retailing at close to 100 USD, which is where these are other 2 are currently retailing too.

From briefly comparing No. 3 to CNT 1 (I'm using predominantly black filters on CNT1 with stock tips):
Bass is still better in quality and quantity on the No. 3.
Clarity, details, instrument separation are on par IMHO.
The soundstage is wider on No. 3.
CNT 1 has more recessed mids than No. 3. No. 3 has brighter treble.

Toneking Ninetails vs CNT1:
Timbre slightly better on ninetails, and of course ninetails can be tuned with filters.
Soundstage wider on Ninetails. Ninetails slightly better in clarity, details, instrument separation.
Mids about equally recessed on both. CNT1 has brighter treble.

The CNT1 is a superb recommendation from you!
If i had gotten it earlier, I would have skipped the No. 3.
The Nine Tails I would still keep due to their customizable tuning filters and organic timbre.
I think if u wanna get a more significant upgrade (for single DD IEMs) on the CNT1, it might have to be something at the price range of the Tanchjim oxygen, KXXS or the upcoming Drop JVC HA FDX01.
Thank goodness I chose ninetails over tfz no. 3 :)

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #19,825 of 31,833
Can you describe sound signature of Nine tails?

Ninetails has a front and rear customizable nozzle/filter (it comes with 3 front and 3 rear filters). So there are potentially 9 different ways to configure your sound. With both red filters on this gives it an almost basshead level of sound. WIth both silver filters on it is V shaped. With both blue filters on it is almost neutralish tuning. And u can finetune the sound in between these signatures (e.g. one silver with one blue or one silver with one red filter). That's what I heard from exploring the filter options, I don't have any equipment to objectively graph it though, maybe others can give their input too.

Whatever the filter configuration though, I felt the trebles were never fatiguing or harsh. But the mids felt overly recessed to me with whatever filter configuration (just a small complaint).

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #19,826 of 31,833
didn't I that recommended you the BQEYZ KB100? KB100 are my best sub $50, definitely take that over KZ ZS10 PRO or T2 or something else. But i have to admit tough call now with ZSX, they just great. V90 is coming for me btw, will compare both iem later. I never be a KZ fanboy, more towards KZ haters from the perspective of KZ fanboys, even though I was just trying to tell my honest impressions.

Because they were selling usual KZ stuff, with more or less same quality just at higher price, who knows they can sell it on above $100. And then back to ZSX with $50, they are comeback.
Couldn't agree more they are 1 of the market leader on sub $50 segment. Unless they are trying to use higher level components, its hard to compete on $100-300 level. But currently the state of chifi is hotter than ever, sooo many stuff and a lot stuff sounds soooo good. crazy!

Never had any BQEYZ but would be interesting to hear your comparison between ZSX vs. BLON BL-03 vs. KB100 and maybe throw in comparison with some higher priced dynamics.
For me they all probably have some fit/shape/design issues but this is subjective.
Though I have no need for any KZ and haven`t looked back to KZ after KPE, would be interesting to hear how ZSX has evolved. ZSN was my last KZ and gave up on KZ BA sound @ highs.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #19,827 of 31,833
This sounds
Ninetails has a front and rear customizable nozzle/filter (it comes with 3 front and 3 rear filters). So there are potentially 9 different ways to configure your sound. With both red filters on this gives it an almost basshead level of sound. WIth both silver filters on it is V shaped. With both blue filters on it is almost neutralish tuning. And u can finetune the sound in between these signatures (e.g. one silver with one blue or one silver with one red filter). That's what I heard from exploring the filter options, I don't have any equipment to objectively graph it though, maybe others can give their input too.

Whatever the filter configuration though, I felt the trebles were never fatiguing or harsh. But the mids felt overly recessed to me with whatever filter configuration (just a small complaint).

This sounds intriguing... I'll start saving for 11.11 :)

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #19,828 of 31,833
Never had any BQEYZ but would be interesting to hear your comparison between ZSX vs. BLON BL-03 vs. KB100 and maybe throw in comparison with some higher priced dynamics.
For me they all probably have some fit/shape/design issues but this is subjective.
Though I have no need for any KZ and haven`t looked back to KZ after KPE, would be interesting to hear how ZSX has evolved. ZSN was my last KZ and gave up on KZ BA sound @ highs.

For me BQEYZ isnt same level as KZ, maybe a level above them, and no matter what signature (KB100, BQ3) they always have smoothness, like "mature", not like cheap chifi trying so hard to get details with boosted lower trebles, or any sharp edges. smooth like very refine iem on higher tier.
things that really special on KB100 is forward clean mids, smoothness, and superb imaging. I only heard this kind of imaging on higher tier like $300 above. KP imaging is blurry compared to KB100. Of course clarity on KP is 1 of the best, they are not reaching that level.

I have yet to receive my BLON BL-03 so i cant comment anything about this yet.

for ZSX, for me who already fell down into rabbit hole so many times, and promised to stop - yet still eager to give "one last chance" finally paid off. KZ at last give me something really really good. Been through so many KZs, and my last before ZSX is ZS10 PRO, which are highly praised, but the steely timbre really put me off, critical deal breaker if i could try first. But not the case with ZSX Coil, I can guarantee even as a moondrop lover, this time KZ is good, real good. Coherences, soundstage, separation are very good. Think of KP wide soundstage but with more separation (because of their multi driver). Mid bass bigger than KP but not overwhelming, control is good but not the best. Compared to ZSN last time, KZ have improved much. Well they're actually improving from one to another model just the upgrades is very little. But when you skip quite model numbers, you can heard the differences. ZSN soundstage is nothing compared to ZSX. ZSN upper mids very peaky and harsh on 2.5-3khz, on ZSX much better, but on that frequency on high volume are in my borderline of shouty, but still safe. This is my only little complaints but i cant complain for such a great iem under $50.They sounded much more natural, passable for me.

feel free to ask me anything

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #19,829 of 31,833
Once I get the BLON BL3 I'll do some comparisons with ZSX and C12 and see which one sounds closer to the BL3's....just curious! :spy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back