Best Soundstage under $500
Oct 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

kinsale

100+ Head-Fier
My main headphones are Stax SR-80 Pro.  I like them a lot for most music.  Not perfect by any means.  I bought a pair of M50 as I was in need of closed headphones for certain times at work.  The Stax do not have a big soundstage at all.  i know the M50 are not going to have much soundstafge either.  so i am in need of something with a lot of soundstage for classical music.

I used to have HD600 and liked the soundstage on those.  If you suggest something please mention how they relate to the soundstage on the HD600, if you can.

Thanks
Ian

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 23
wow no one?  not like it used to be around here
frown.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 23
the stax are quite intimate so I'm looking for something very wide and airy.  Certain music goes best with certain headphones.  I'm looking for something to go with classical and "airy music" in general. 

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 23
I tested out a few higher end cans (Sennheiser hd600, 650, Denon AHD2000) and settled with the AKG K702's because they had the most expansive soundstage by far, especially with my Canamp. I hear every instrument swirling around my happy little head. I paid 220 USD for mine. They seem to get bashed a lot here, though. Don't matter, I love 'em.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
the stax are quite intimate so I'm looking for something very wide and airy.  Certain music goes best with certain headphones.  I'm looking for something to go with classical and "airy music" in general. 

I listen to a lot of electronic music and it makes everything sound quite airy, which is a complaint for some, but I like it since I used to use Sennheiser hd280's. It opens everything up quite a bit to the point where you can hear the buzz and hum of every synth, where before everything sounded melded together. Test them (K70x) if you can...maybe you'll like it.

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 23
Thanks for the reply.  I've heard most brands except for AKG and Denon.  I liked the hd600 but thought even though it had great soundstage the instruments weren't as "full" as I would like.  The sound of Grado would be great just with much more soundstage.

Oct 5, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 23

Anyone else like wide soundstage?

sure, i love me some big ol' soundstage.
I'm gonna make an unorthodox recommendation: beyerdynamic dt880 or dt990.
I have the k702 and find the beyer phones to produce a much more enjoyable, dimensional, realistic, and overall superior soundstage.

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #10 of 23
good to hear.  I'll add it to the list.  I had a dt880 a few years and cannot recollect the soundstage.  I know I liked the phone a lot though.  This kinda stuff is hard to do when you have no where to try these headphones out.  I've learned to rely on all your opinions though.  Led me to try some awesome headphones.

Anyone else with a suggestion?

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 23
My HD650s are almost unlistenable to me now because they feel so muddy and cramped compared to the K701. Initially, I had issues adjusting to the sound, but now they seem so much more natural. The soundstage definitely helps, I think that I should try out some crossfeed implementations, because it seems that I value soundstage more that I previously thought.

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 23
I have yet to hear a wider soundstage than the German Maestro GMP 450.  They are a bit uncommon, but they definitely do soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back