Best Soundstage in an UNIVERSAL IEM?...
May 24, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #136 of 281
IE800s get compared in this review and loose out... to a $150 iem. 

http://headfonics.com/2015/05/the-r2a-and-r2pro-iems-by-flare-audio/2/  - jump you to page 2, the relevent page.

Sounds a little unbelievable but I trust the Headfonics people. Best soundstage is what I'm after but also has to have natural and realistic tone with it.

May 30, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #138 of 281
I bought ie800. They have more soundstage than most open and closed back headphones. 

I mean, the soundstage can be considered a pocked hd800. It is larger than ie80, and any other IEM I had ever tried, and larger than most headphones. 

The only headphone that has a larger soundstage is hd800.

May 30, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #139 of 281
  I bought ie800. They have more soundstage than most open and closed back headphones. 

I mean, the soundstage can be considered a pocked hd800. It is larger than ie80, and any other IEM I had ever tried, and larger than most headphones. 

The only headphone that has a larger soundstage is hd800.

Sounds kinda exaggerated man.

May 30, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #140 of 281
^ My thoughts exactly. I've heard a lot of exaggerations regarding IEM sound stage, but this seems over the top. I doubt its bigger than all but the HD800.

I could be wrong.

May 30, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #141 of 281
  ^ My thoughts exactly. I've heard a lot of exaggerations regarding IEM sound stage, but this seems over the top. I doubt its bigger than all but the HD800.

I could be wrong.

Sounds kinda exaggerated man.

With big oval tips and large round tips the soundstage beats all in ears and most full headphones I ever heared. 

I would not care enough to discuss this still, but I am totally amazed. It beats my ultrasone dj one pro, and ie8. Ultrasone dj one pro was the only thing that was close to hd800 in my experience. 

ie800 is this good. 

I think that most people who have a bad experience with ie800 gets this because they might be incompatible with big tips. You have to push the big tips slow, and deep, then let them re-arrange themselves and the pressure. Works only with big tips. Also, wearing over the ear might improove the situation for those who cannot push ie800 deep enough when worn straight. 

I was not expecting this, as, when I tested in showrooms, it was with small tips, and the soundstage was not this big.

The soundstage and entire sound characteristics change a lot with different tips. 

Also, I must mention that for this effect, I use a fiio x5 + Fiio e12a, which is known for having one of the largest soundstages possible.

May 31, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #142 of 281

With big oval tips and large round tips the soundstage beats all in ears and most full headphones I ever heared. 

I would not care enough to discuss this still, but I am totally amazed. It beats my ultrasone dj one pro, and ie8. Ultrasone dj one pro was the only thing that was close to hd800 in my experience. 

ie800 is this good. 

I think that most people who have a bad experience with ie800 gets this because they might be incompatible with big tips. You have to push the big tips slow, and deep, then let them re-arrange themselves and the pressure. Works only with big tips. Also, wearing over the ear might improove the situation for those who cannot push ie800 deep enough when worn straight. 

I was not expecting this, as, when I tested in showrooms, it was with small tips, and the soundstage was not this big.

The soundstage and entire sound characteristics change a lot with different tips. 

Also, I must mention that for this effect, I use a fiio x5 + Fiio e12a, which is known for having one of the largest soundstages possible.

Wow, all right.

May 31, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #144 of 281
ie800 is a beast!! You hear music coming from everywhere! I also have a pair of shure se846 and it sucks big time for soundstage.. The music is like all in your face, no separation whatsoever..

May 31, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #145 of 281
OK, Debrescu, I'll have to concede. You've heard them and I haven't. I'm really surprised that these don't get talked about more. I guess anything new gets all of the attention.

May 31, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #146 of 281
Wow, makes me wonder...

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #148 of 281
Yeah... But then you have Deviltooth saying that the performance/staging doesn't hold a candle to multi BA customs so... I dunno what to think as soundstage impressions seem to vary quite a bit. I personally felt the Z5 had a wide stage but a really average sense of depth. It was especially noticeable vs the UERM/LAB I. It just felt flat in comparison. The best soundstages for my tastes are the UERM/Angie. I think the UERM has roughly the same dimensions as the Angie but feels more open at the edges (UERM has better top end extension) whereas the Angie bests it slightly in terms of placement and layering

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #149 of 281
The best soundstage is achieved always on dynamic IEMs, because you can control the placement of waves, and sound does not come out of some very tiny tubes. 

Also, I highly doubt that R2A can have a better soundstage than Ie800, or I would better say, better layering or better depth. R2a is sure not to be wider as soundstage goes when ie800 is used with big round tips.

I am very curious to hear JH IEMs as they are the FOTM around head-fi, and I have a high suspicion that this happens because they used girl's names on them. This might have been part of the marketing strategy, and it does seem to work.

Over-Hyping something is very bad, and I am 100% that about R2a it is over-hype. Nothing using foam tips can be clear sounding, it will always have a thick bass, and a thick sound, which is not to be amazed about, ie8 actually has the widest soundstage in a IEM, and can be compared to hd650 easily. 

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #150 of 281
Over-Hyping something is very bad, and I am 100% that about R2a it is over-hype. Nothing using foam tips can be clear sounding, it will always have a thick bass, and a thick sound, which is not to be amazed about, ie8 actually has the widest soundstage in a IEM, and can be compared to hd650 easily. 

This. The R2A's are an amazing piece of work, and the soundstage is definitely great, but I do believe there was a lot of over hype for these.

That said, for the KS price they're an absolute steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back