Best Soundstage in an UNIVERSAL IEM?...
May 21, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #121 of 281
  For soundstage XBA z5 might be good.

what type of sound are you looking for?

Neutral with a bit of bass emphasis. I'm sensitive to a few highs though. Soundstage and imaging are quite important to me as well. I don't really wanna go above $550, so.. I mean, I plan on getting the HE-1000 down the road. Everything else is going to pale in comparison to that. No need to spend $1000-$1500 on an IEM. I might in the future when I'm more wealthy, but it doesn't really make sense does it? I'm gonna be mostly at home anyway, and I'm not gonna put it beside me to take my full size rig with me in some cases. 

May 21, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #122 of 281
  Neutral with a bit of bass emphasis. I'm sensitive to a few highs though. Soundstage and imaging are quite important to me as well. I don't really wanna go above $550, so.. I mean, I plan on getting the HE-1000 down the road. Everything else is going to pale in comparison to that. No need to spend $1000-$1500 on an IEM. I might in the future when I'm more wealthy, but it doesn't really make sense does it? I'm gonna be mostly at home anyway, and I'm not gonna put it beside me to take my full size rig with me in some cases. 

Hm... Akg k3003 seems your best shot. Z5 does have thick mids, this is something most of it's owners claim too, you might be happier with an akg k3003 pair. But you might not, you should test before buying, or buy from somewhere you can return.

In that price range, ~550, ie800 is the best option. i had not heared anything that gets better.. I am yet to hear universal versions of customs, so i cannot advice in that direction, but i think that it would go over your budget anyways.

May 21, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #123 of 281
  Hm... Akg k3003 seems your best shot. Z5 does have thick mids, this is something most of it's owners claim too, you might be happier with an akg k3003 pair. But you might not, you should test before buying, or buy from somewhere you can return.

In that price range, ~550, ie800 is the best option. i had not heared anything that gets better.. I am yet to hear universal versions of customs, so i cannot advice in that direction, but i think that it would go over your budget anyways.

I think the 3003 is overpriced. What about if budget is no limit? Noble Audio K10U? << This question is directed at others because you've not heard the universals, but I'm glad to listen to what you think with what you've read.

May 21, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #124 of 281

I agree that IE800 is great in terms of soundstage. Kind of like HD800. 

But I could see why someone consider them thin and unnatural. 

May 21, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #126 of 281
  IE800 against anything else in my profile history.  Freaky good for an earbud.

IE800 for having the best soundstage and imaging?

May 21, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #127 of 281
  IE800 for having the best soundstage and imaging?

The best imaging and separation i had tested so far, yes.

IE80 has a wider soundstage, or sort of... it is hard to explain, and it is very much tip dependent, but i think that ie80 might be the winner of the largest soundstage in a IEM, it is bigger than some headphones, even bigger than some open headphones, ie80 is a real beast when it comes to soundstage.

May 23, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #131 of 281
The IE800 is now on my radar. How did I miss this one?

May 23, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #133 of 281
The IE800 is now on my radar. How did I miss this one?

Probably you had overlooked it, for me it was the only one that i could listen to before buying... Was very happy with how it sounds...

But like the HD800, the treble is kind of coming from outside of the head. Sometimes it sounds unnatural, like with piano when HF comes from another place. My theory is that DAC filter has to be Minimum Phase for it to sound natural. 

... I never felt like that... I could say that they are sibilant if worn over the ear, but Sennheiser are very nice people who wanted us to not ear ie800 over the ear. 

I had tried with minimum phase filters, and it was the same in my experience. 

The entire sound is extremely good, having a very good soundstage, this is why it seems kind of different from what people expect. The soundstage is not bigger than natural, but it is recorded at the microphone level. This translates to some sounds coming from front, other from a different position than when being in a live experience, Binarual recordings all sound exactly as they should, if you feel good with binaural in general..

I think that you are reffering to the harmonics of a higher order that are created by a musical note, which come from a different point, but this happens to all instruments in real life. It is a normal and very nice effect, just like, for a bell sound the harmonics are sometimes louder than the note itself... Piano has this ability to create high order harmonics that are pretty loud compared to the pure note, so the effect you are experiencing is normal, in fact i really like this effect!
gs1000.gif

I work with harmonic distortions, harmonics displacement and phase shifting when i do my project, and from my share of knowledge, phase should never displace a sound from the spatial hearing. Though, it could by displacing the exact timing of it, create a sensation of being off, but this is DAC and Software dependent...

May 24, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #135 of 281
I was actually serious out of ignorance. I started looking around for complimentary IEMs a bit ago. After reading around, it seems like a lot of IEMs roll the treble off to avoid hi frequency issues.

So, after reading about the IE 800s good qualities, I expected to hear that the treble was laid back. I am thrilled to know otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back