Best sounding cans with amazing bass?
May 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Roonin

New Head-Fier
I'm new to the world of high end headphones, and I thought what better place to ask than here! I started with Audio Technicas Solid bass headphones, and the band snapped so now I'm looking for something new! The price range is about 200-300 bucks. I'm looking for solid, punchy bass but really good highs, if that's possible. Any information is appreciated! 

May 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 16
Hey! I was in the same boat as you a little while ago. I decided to go with the Beyerdynamic DT 880s. Keep in mind that a headphone like this (and almost any in this mid-fi price range) would benefit greatly from having a headphone amplifier. Other options that I personally like are the AKG Q701s, Sennheiser HD600/650, and maybe the one that would fit you best, HiFiMan HE-400. They can be found for a little over $300 on the sales area of Head-Fi and don't need an amp as much as the others. Of course, everything is personal preference. I hope this helps.

May 30, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 16
Tight punchy bass:
Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Ultrasone Pro 750
And also already mentioned DT880

May 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 16
ATH WS99, Fidelio L1 or V-Moda M-100

I don't have the m-100 but these two cans are well known for their bass response. WS99 is only around $220, and word around is they improve with amplification. They're very loud unamped though.

Fidelio L1 is almost equally as good. They have slight recessed mids and emphasized bass with very balance highs. The mids are sumwhat congested at times, but they work well with techno, R&B, hip hop. They're not the best at fast rock but neither is the ws99. The l1 isnt dark sounding, it's warm sounding, with a slight v-shaped response. Beware though, they are semi-open so the isolation isn't the best, though its better than openheadphones.

The ws99 has tighter bass and more mids but less highs.

May 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 16
Durability?

Ultrasone Pro750. Build like a tank, they ooze reliability and robustness. Detachable cable, sturdy carrying box and a dream for electronic music (my genre too). Best headphones for this genre IMHO.

Second HD25-1 in various disguises. Might not look as sturdy but are.

May 30, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 16
They are 40 Ohm and can be driven without amp.

You can start listening to them without and when you are in the middle of the honeymoon phase and love them to bits, gift yourself a nice amp and wham, be floored by even better sound.

They do need a bit of burn in and I realized over the years whenever I pick them up, that they are just the perfect match for my preferred genre and the more I listen to them the better they get.

I am driving them with a Schiit Valhalla at work, an Asgard at home and an E07K when traveling and they sound just phenomenal.

I bought mine slightly used here for $220 or so. You can get them for around $250 new sometimes at amazon.

May 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 16
Fidelio l1 has the best build I've ever experienced from headphones actually:
[/IMG]

Most of it is extremely strong metal, and the headband is made of thick 100% leather. Pads aren't replaceable though.

The ws99 has nice build also, and has amazing bass.

May 30, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 16
Not sure why the Ultrasone Pro 900 wasn't mentioned in place of the 750 but I would recommend the 900s for sure. Check them out, they come with a good deal of accessories and are closed back so you can take them out if need be. 

May 30, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
I'm new to the world of high end headphones, and I thought what better place to ask than here! I started with Audio Technicas Solid bass headphones, and the band snapped so now I'm looking for something new! The price range is about 200-300 bucks. I'm looking for solid, punchy bass but really good highs, if that's possible. Any information is appreciated! 

Ultrasone Pro900 - unreal bass and as long as you're not 'treble averse' they are amazing phones.  I paid $236 for mine and are my second favorite can to a $800 can. 

May 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 16
Beyer Custom One Pros have been very good to me for some time. Just got the Soundmagic HP100 and am really digging them. Bass is impressive on both. ATH M50s are decent but lack an engaging sound after the initial thrill wears off.

May 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 16
What about the ATH-M50s? I know everyone has over hyped them but I still hear they're pretty good. What do you guys think?

Compared to the M-50, the Pro900 is considerably better and bass monsters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back