Best Solid State Amp for Senn 650s
Jul 17, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #62 of 78
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I can't seem to find the Singlepower SS1 on any websites including the SinglePower site. What is the price range for the amp? My price range is $1000-$2000. I know that range sounds wide, but I have found you get the law of diminishing returns with much audio equipment meaning you can pay toward the top of the range and not get the increased resolution for the additional dollars. The Zana Deusx is not available for audition until the middle of next month. I also have my SLI80 in for repair. My two year old son became a bit over zealous with some of the tubes and may have damaged the tube socket, so when that is repaired, we'll see how the unit sounds.

How does one audition some of the models you have mentioned in your posts? Thank you for all of the advice. This is a great forum!

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #63 of 78
The Singlepower solid state amp may be in the process of being redesigned.

Look at ASR's loaner program where there have been a few reviews.

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #66 of 78
The Singlepower SS1 is way beyond your budget, that was a custom two-chassis amp that was built specifically for a Head-Fier and I believe it cost $15K.

As far as the original question of the "best" solid-state for the 650, there isn't one. It really depends on your sonic preferences, your source, and the features you need, since there are many <$2K amps and they all have different feature sets. I can only speak for HeadAmp Gilmore Lite & GS-1, Heed CanAmp, Eddie Current EC/SS, and Lehmann Black Cube Linear. They all do a fine job of amping the HD650 - the specifics of each pairing really depends on what you want and can only be up to your ears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Singlepower solid state amp may be in the process of being redesigned.

Look at ASR's loaner program where there have been a few reviews.

The amp that tbonner1 is referring to is the Square Wave, and the mentioned loaner/review is in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=246258

Aug 13, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #67 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiza_Gab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Benchmark DAC1 ?

x2

Aug 13, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #68 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but you must understand that tube amps do things that SS amps don't...

that is a mouthful, really.

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #70 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Singlepower SS1 is way beyond your budget, that was a custom two-chassis amp that was built specifically for a Head-Fier and I believe it cost $15K.

As far as the original question of the "best" solid-state for the 650, there isn't one. It really depends on your sonic preferences, your source, and the features you need, since there are many <$2K amps and they all have different feature sets. I can only speak for HeadAmp Gilmore Lite & GS-1, Heed CanAmp, Eddie Current EC/SS, and Lehmann Black Cube Linear. They all do a fine job of amping the HD650 - the specifics of each pairing really depends on what you want and can only be up to your ears.

The amp that tbonner1 is referring to is the Square Wave, and the mentioned loaner/review is in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=246258

Wow 15k. In any case I liked the EC/SS for driving the HD650s as well as the DAC1 did a good job as well. Like ASR put it, it really depends on you ears. Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #71 of 78
I gotta admit, my balanced 4 board Beta22, though at the top of your price range is far and away the best bang for the buck amp I've ever heard with the Senn 650's. Yes, it is DIY, but it can be bought finished from various builders.

In my experience, the Senn's become a totally different headphone balanced, able to compete with the kilobuck headphone legends.

Unbalanced they are simply a very good headphone. So if you do nothing else, try to get a listen to the 650's balanced. Then, and only then, make your decision.

Aug 13, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #72 of 78
Yup HD600s/650s scale better than any other headphone that I know of. Except the K1000. I am extremely skeptical of how well the D5000 scales since my meet impression was that it wouldn't scale well at all.

Aug 13, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #73 of 78
I am toying with the idea of building either an M3 or a Cavalli Kumisa III. Read that both pair well with the Senns and both are pretty much in the same price range. Waiting to hear them both before i decide.

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #74 of 78
might i suggest Ray Samuels HR-2? i've never heard it in person, but in general it's a highly regarded unit, both with and without the 650's...

in fact so much so i'm wanting to find one myself for my 650's/600's/880's, but their surfacing in the for sale forum has been sparse as of late....soooo if anyone's selling one
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back