Best Solid State Amp for Senn 650s
Jul 11, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #31 of 78
Is the Creek amp a better match with the HD-650's than the Corda Aria? (The amp will be my 1st). I am pretty well dialed in on the Senn cans I think. (My budget for the amp is in the 500~600 dollar range). Any suggestions at this price point?

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #33 of 78
My vote go to the Singlepower SS-1.
No mentioned budget, so why make any compromises?
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #34 of 78
I agree with FallenAngel, Mindless, Subfocus, Hellenback, ldj325, Dept_of_Alchemy, and others -- we need a price range. However, the fact that so many are posting in this thread despite the vague specs and lack of response from the OP says something about the ongoing interest in SSs and the HD650. I wonder why the interest . . .

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #35 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ongoing interest in SSs and the HD650. I wonder why the interest . . .

Are you suggesting a tube amp? If so, I'd love to read your opinions on which one. (I'll increase my limit to $800.00 on the amp). If the general consensus is against SS amps, I'd also like to read why...

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #37 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite reasonably priced SS amps for the 650s have always been the Headamp GS1, M3 with STEPS, and Stello HP100.

I've found reviews on the GS! and Stello, can you direct me to something on the 'M3 w/Steps?

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #38 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahuna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found reviews on the GS! and Stello, can you direct me to something on the 'M3 w/Steps?

The M3 is a DIY amp which can often be found used or built new by the likes of MisterX. I am surprised that searching for M3 didn't come up with any results.

The GCHA does actually sound very good... however, I will never support BS Audio.

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #40 of 78
In case the op has not left and gone to the dark side, I will offer my two cents based upon my ears and assumed budget in the $750-$800 total. The Senns go well with Gilmore Lite with ps (used, see FS section), GS-1 (ditto) and the EC/SS, new since you will not see any for sale for a while. The Dynamite is fantastic with the Senns but good luck in finding one for sale.

Psssst, it is safe to come back now.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #41 of 78
Quote:

Are you suggesting a tube amp? If so, I'd love to read your opinions on which one. (I'll increase my limit to $800.00 on the amp). If the general consensus is against SS amps, I'd also like to read why...

Eh, HD650s have a naturally warm sound signature. People do things like buy silver cabling and use solid state amps to balance that out to achieve a sound signature that they like. I generally prefer the detail and clarity solid state amps can bring to the table though tubes definitely have a magic organicity that is nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Tube amps for the most part have a warmer sound signature etc. If you want to go full on euphonic/warm sound then yeah go with tube amps. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Also personally I feel there is more of a sound signature variance from tube amp to tube amp because of the flexibility of tube offerings that manufacturers offer esp Singlepower which has a plethora of adapters that work with an even larger selection of tubes, while though solid state amps due deviate siginificantly from maker to maker... I think the variance is somewhat less than with tube amps. I definitely would not for instance say that a Yamamoto HA-02 sounds anything like a Zana Deux... though with two extreme solid state examples, a GS-X/Ray Samuels Apache you can still say okay yeah I can see how they are both solid state amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #42 of 78
Quote:

The trend goes back and forth. When I started in this hobby it was SS for Sennheiser all the way (to help balance the warm sound), and now it's tubes for Sennheiser all the way (better voltage swing or something vaguely scientific like that). The whole SS versus Tube debate is just one huge meme with people repeating quotations from other people who by and large made up the stuff
evil_smiley.gif
. A less extreme way to put it is that SS and tubes do sound different, and that it's really just a matter of personal taste which one you prefer.

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #43 of 78
Some new tube amps are so clear with tight bass they sound closer to solid state and become a good match with the Senns.

I like hybrid amps with the Senns so I do not have to choose which type of amp is best.

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #45 of 78
Quote:

Care to recommend some tube amps in my price range?

Woo and Singlepower. Could probably get a nice MPX3 on the FS forum for that money. Also don't forget Ray Samuels, a used Raptor is good value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back