Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #7,651 of 7,916
For those of you like me who cannot afford a Korean LG G6 or Onkyo Granbeat I just noticed that the Ramos MOS1 Max seems to be out of stock and discontinued by Ramos before any headfier could get hold of one. What a shame. That could have been an interesting phone/phablet and was selling for $120 before stock ran out. I think I would have sprang for one in a month or two and posted a review of it. The closest thing to it would be either the PPTV King 7 which apparently has some reliability problems or the well known LeTV Le Max. I guess I'll just save up for a Le Max before all of those are gone too. I am totally sold on the 6"+ screen size now. 5.5" seems too small to me. It was only 1080p but who knows how good the sound might have been with those specs and Ramos is I think a more well known brand than PPTV.

I recently bought an Intel SoC phablet based on some limited listening tests, but now that I actually own it I kind of hate it. The tonal balance seems too warm and bassy for me just as with most of the Qualcomm SoC phones I've listened to and the Intel SoC lags badly and just eats battery life. Ugh. From now on I will stick with Arm based SoCs. They have been doing low power processing longer than anyone else and really seem to know what they are doing. Intel is getting out of the SoC business anyway, but I was a bit surprised by how noticeably worse the Intel SoC really is. I hope to swap it for a Qualcomm Snap 410 based device as soon as I can. Hopefully the headphone jack will break soon as they always tend to do for me and that will give me an excuse to buy yet another phone.

It really is so tough to find a phone with decent neutral sounding SoC audio. People here are talking about how important implementation is, but first you need a separate DAC and amp. Without that you won't have anything that is very musical no matter what you do. If anything at the moment I am favoring Mediatek over Qualcomm (or Intel) because at least they tend to have a more neutral (albeit lifeless sounding) tonal balance. The problem with Mediatek SoCs is that they tend to be so quiet. I have a really sensitive IEM at the moment and even that is barely enough for decent volume levels on almost all Mediatek SoC implementations.

Although SoC audio does have some theoretical battery saving advantages vs separate audio chips if you want good audio for music listening I think there really is no way around the separate audio chips even though they almost certainly drain the battery faster and also result in more expensive phones. I still want to listen to a ZTE Zmax 2 or Zmax Pro becuase I've heard so many good things about them, but I'm now guessing that those people were less bothered by an overly warm/dark sound than I am. SoC audio is probably a non-issue for most of you, but even $120 is a lot of money for me. It would be nice if I could find a decent sounding phone for music listening in the $50-$80 range but alas I don't think one exists at the moment if you dislike the always popular warm/bassy/fun tonal balance.

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #7,652 of 7,916
The ESS DAC should cost Lg a few pennies and since they already paid for implementation there should not be any additional cost. How would removing the chip keep the cost of the phone down? This seems to be like a patent issue as its not sold in US and EU (non EU countries seem to be getting the model). The headphone output can be limited by firmware  as so many other manufactures do.( so i don't think thats a reason to leave the chip out)

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #7,655 of 7,916
  It is same as Hong Kong version: http://www.lg.com/hk_en/mobile-phone/lg-LGH870DS (here you have the specs in English).

Does anyone know which version is sold in Singapore? Thanks

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #7,656 of 7,916
Not about sound, but important thing: how many hours of active screen do you get at xplay6? For instance, when listening to music online? or... browsing via 4G... Thanks!
p.s. LG G6 is already being sold in Ukraine, but battery 3300 is not funny at all...

I can see that art haven't replied yet so I will help you regarding your question.
The xplay6 will hold a hole day when with heavy usage.
The xplay6 uses more power when using the hifi mode, but it still last a day. I still gets surprised over the battery life. So you have nothing to worry about regarding the battery.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #7,658 of 7,916
  Jeff, Singapore seems to be the same as Australia the h870DS, should have quad DAC(see propaganda on their site for proof below)

http://www.lg.com/sg/mobile-phones/lg-G6

Yeah, looks like it's the real deal, as I have a friend there heading to Europe next month I'll ask him to pick one up for me. Thanks pal. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #7,659 of 7,916
Agree. I couldn't care less about what dac inside the 10. I don't get why this is so important. If you like it great, if not get another phone.

And it seems that we are stuck with this phone, no jack on the new HTC Ocean. But it could be a lot worse
smily_headphones1.gif
.X

Yeah, i seriously don`t know what they are thinking. The Audio Quality was the only reason to buy HTC phones over others, at least here in Europe. For everything else, there is a better alternative, and yet they are removing the headphone jack. I just don`t understand these decisions. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #7,664 of 7,916
In my opinion when it comes to dac chips, all of them should be good. The difference will be sound characteristics with each company (akm, ess sabre, burrbrown, cirrius logic etc)has their own characteristics, that their dac's show. The real quality comes from audio chain and implementation of said audio chain.

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #7,665 of 7,916
  I traded my Huawei P9 plus for a HTC10 today, and that was not even 3 weeks after i sold my last HTC10 :) Couldn`t stand the Audio from the Huawei. It was unbearable after having had the 10 before. Now i`m sitting here and again i`m shocked how good the Sound from that little thing is. There`s no need for Viper, Dolby, Boomsound, absolutely nothing. You install Poweramp, and it blows you away. Now my previous one was on Marshmallow and this one is on Nougat, and i think the sound quality is even better (Or it´s just my ears orgasming after the P9 Plus). 

Anyway, i couldn`t care less what DAC/AMP combo it has, fact is, it sounds better than any musical smartphone i`ve ever listened too - including Meizu pro 5, Lemax 1, xiaomi mi note pro, V10, apples and lots of others. It sounds even better than the Fiio X3 ii i had, but that maybe because the sound is a little bit warmer which i prefer.

Not quite sure but I also thought Nougat sounded better than 6.0. I even don't think ViPER could add anything substancial here, but I might be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back