Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #7,681 of 7,916
  Did you know the ZTE Axon 7 Mini has 2 AKM DACs? I'm willing to try it out. 268€ from amazon.de and 228€ used like new.

On sale now in the US on the official ZTE website for $199.99 until Apr. 29. I have a relative coming to Europe next month, so I'm going to order one. If I'm not pleased with the sound I can always add the Opus #11 to it.... That combo would beat the hell out of any expensive hi-end DAP IMHO

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #7,684 of 7,916
So what if it's SoC, and not discrete DAC. It still sounds mighty fine, right up there with my old V10. (source-my ears)

Im not saying the sound of the phone itself is bad, its just that people are speculating without proper sources saying that it truly does have dedicated DAC, of which Qualcomm has already said
it uses Aqstic, not a dedicated DAC

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #7,687 of 7,916
So what if it's SoC, and not discrete DAC. It still sounds mighty fine, right up there with my old V10. (source-my ears)

that's perfectly fine, and I'm the last one saying, that SoC is necessarily bad sounding.

but "HTC 10 has discrete DAC" claims here and there are very tiring. there is not yet any (!) link to non-user statements about this. not of an internal HTC worker, not of any breakdown, absolutely nothing. so let's say it sounds great, period.

cheers!

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #7,689 of 7,916
that's perfectly fine, and I'm the last one saying, that SoC is necessarily bad sounding.

but "HTC 10 has discrete DAC" claims here and there are very tiring. there is not yet any (!) link to non-user statements about this. not of an internal HTC worker, not of any breakdown, absolutely nothing. so let's say it sounds great, period.

cheers!

As a HTC10 owner I actually agree. It is getting a little bit tiresome with all this dac talk. Enjoy the phone instead.

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #7,690 of 7,916

cheers!

I totally agree. And I own a HTC 10.

Here are some of the articles I have found about the HTC 10 DAC:
https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdragon/2016/06/02/qualcomm-aqstic-sets-new-standard-audiophiles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_10
http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10-audio-testing-boomsound-evolved

In the Android Central article, Jerry Hildenbrand states that he asked HTC about the DAC and Amp.

He quotes the answer from HTC:
We use a discrete DAC (not one on the SoC) in addition to the amp and have done a ton of PCB engineering to insure the best possible signal-to-noise ratio. Credit to HTC engineering, not off-the-shelf components.

Wikipedia states that the HTC 10 uses a dedicated DAC provided by Qualcomm and refers to the article from Qualcomm.

I suppose the discussion I have seen at this forum about HTC 10 DAC comes down to wording. Is it discrete, dedicated or SoC/Internal? But why care? It has DAC and Amp and it sounds good to me. That is what matters to me.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #7,691 of 7,916
Yep! The 10 sounds very nice. If they only use a cheap or lamea$$ dac who cares?? My ears like it^.^

If htc is only using a super underwhelming DAC then all the other companies like esstech, akm or Cirus Logic gotta wonder wth they are doing... Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back