Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #5,716 of 7,916
Eio you are correct but please be careful as that device has a boot looping issue, many of my customers had to do warranty exchanges because of this and the warranty through LG is one year so I doubt a used one will have any type of warranty, i was looking into maybe repairing one but it is a hardware issue apparently caused by a section of the motherboard melting ( don't quote me on this) that why my friend had to order the Axon

wow, maybe that's the reason of so many refurbished V10 in the market
ph34r.gif
, thanks for the info!

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #5,717 of 7,916
I have bought from Gearbest many times.  Good outfit.  Never had a problem.  Expect 2 to 4 week delivery on average.   They have some great deals at times.   

Thanks for the reply. They seem like the real deal and so, of course, you pay all the regular fees and charges.

If you chose a product in one of the American warehouses, I would assume shipping would be a lot faster.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #5,720 of 7,916
wow, maybe that's the reason of so many refurbished V10 in the market:ph34r: , thanks for the info!

No problem, I guess as a second device if it's at a reasonable price it's ok since maybe the refurbished are probably already fixed by LG and that phone is a legend in sound but as an only device i would be careful maybe have another phone as backup just in case, I might still buy one because the prices are really good especially for everything you get.....I especially love the build and camera

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #5,721 of 7,916
No problem, I guess as a second device if it's at a reasonable price it's ok since maybe the refurbished are probably already fixed by LG and that phone is a legend in sound but as an only device i would be careful maybe have another phone as backup just in case, I might still buy one because the prices are really good especially for everything you get.....I especially love the build and camera

To add to this, phone sells at $294 in ebay.....the listing description says, it comes with manufacturer warranty......So, its a good deal

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #5,722 of 7,916
  there are many refurbished LG V10 in the market (at least in china), which is a good choice for low budget hifi smartphone.
V10 has great audio, great camera, great screen, great durability and great software support.
the only shortcoming is the snapdragon 808 which has almost as much thermal problem as 810.

Well mate, I am not against buying second hand, but I prefer to buy locally, directly from previous owner, so get a bit of history on the device usage, have chance to test device a bit before paying any money and probably get a better deal too.

I would have to have huge amounts of trust to mail order a refurbished device that I could not visually examine beforehand, let alone test it thoroughly in certain device specific critical areas.

Anyways, have actually picked up a used Z3 compact a few days back, which is close enough for what I want in size etc, for less than a Ulefone Vienna would cost new, with free shipping, no customs etc. Device even has a few months left on warranty, it is a risk nonetheless, but what is without risk nowadays?

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #5,723 of 7,916
I just got retest axon7 with fw B03 I would say it has a huge improvement.

Sound is towards letv max but less mid bass and more 3D soundstage - can feel the depth of soundstage clearly. But it is not wide as letv max.

I still need to increase volume to 70% of total scale to get same volume as letv max at50%. But I think you can root phone and fix kernel to increase volume cap.

By having less mid bass, it makes treble more clearer. If you are not treble head, you might feel fatigue easily. But yeah it is more hifi than what I tested few months ago.

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #5,724 of 7,916
I just got retest axon7 with fw B03 I would say it has a huge improvement.

Sound is towards letv max but less mid bass and more 3D soundstage - can feel the depth of soundstage clearly. But it is not wide as letv max.

I still need to increase volume to 70% of total scale to get same volume as letv max at50%. But I think you can root phone and fix kernel to increase volume cap.

By having less mid bass, it makes treble more clearer. If you are not treble head, you might feel fatigue easily. But yeah it is more hifi than what I tested few months ago.

So would you say the Axon 7 is better audio quality overall?

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #5,726 of 7,916
I bought mine a v10 on ebay new in July for €340. I'm not sure if it was actually new I suspect it was used briefly by the owner and the owner saw it was "defective".
When I say "defective" it suffered from some of the typical bugs the v10 has in software which are well documented on the web, and after searching on the web, it seems quite common problems --  like running really hot, and freezing up of some apps. I did a factory reset as was suggested on some some help pages on the web and problems were solved and it has run perfectly since.  I have to say I really like this phone. If you are familiar with custom kernels or cyanogenmod, the V10 has incorporated their best aspects like the quick access ribbon on the pull down quick access drawer and double tap to wake and sleep phone -- in my opinion two of the best functions that rooting would give you but with this phone you get them without having to root. The built in DAC is very good although my Fiio Andes is a bit more open and airy, but still very good, it has Aptx so listening with bluetooth headphones is really good also,  which I also do. I use a pair of Mee Audio Matrix 2 cans and the sound is very good on bluetooth.  Very happy with thge sound quality on bluetooth. And the camera and video is excellent; the phone is really well thought out. It has tons of shortcuts to apps to save you from constantly unlocking or going to the home screen to open an app to do something. I think it was totally under rated when it came out and is a really unique phone in so many ways. If it is factory refurbished  with warranty what are you waiting for? I also have an sd card loaded with flac files for music and also use a streaming service for music. It all works very well. The phone ticks all the boxes for me.

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #5,727 of 7,916
Sorry off-topic, but related to a question asked above...   

Concerning Stores like "Banggood" and "Gearbest".  In my experience both are good and safe to order from.

Usually shipping and handling are FREE, and never had duty charged to USA.  This takes 2 to 4+ weeks.

You can add faster shipping, but I never have.

Both stores sell quality brand name, quality unknown name, and of course a lot of Chinese low quality stuff.  Their "deals" are often very good pricing.   Though Ebay, and Amazon sometimes have better pricing if you search...

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #5,728 of 7,916
Agree with that, their free slow shipping tends to bypass customs very easily.

On the other hand, if you choose 'fast' shipping, then it would go through customs and cost much more which in some cases defeats the purpose of buying from these stores.

It is cheap to begin with, but you have to wait for their slow shipping in order to keep it cheap.

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #5,729 of 7,916
Thanks for the info guys. Whenever I think of ordering something from China I can't help but think of it as the "wild west". I feel a little more confident if I have an idea about general do's and don't's.
Normally when I buy something on Amazon.ca I try to get a product where Amazon is the one filling it, if possible.
Nothing in life is risk free, but I try to cut them down where possible. :blush:

Shane D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back