Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #3,947 of 7,916
That is what I've found. Hoping that I had missed something. I can't bring myself to use an iPhone. They make great stuff just not for me. 

It's the first iphone I've ever considered. Latest hardware in compact case with at last decent battery life.

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #3,949 of 7,916
What are you driving from the phone?

The Note 7 has exactly the same internals as the S7 from all the pointers I've seen, so - don't get your hopes up.

I am running MH40 with poweramp alpha.

Well I am sort of the person that trust my own ears instead of endless debate on the net and whilst it was brief, the Note 7 had sort of the sound you expect from the likes of V10, hifi module etc.

My current phone is the Exynos S7 Edge which I do think belongs to the better sounding phones but I thought the Note 7 sounded better instantly. Note 5 is great too really.

Lastly, I would like to emphasize to all newbies here that Head Fi seriously over exxagerates sound quality differences. Regarding portable devices, unless you are listening to FLAC minimum with mid fi headphones/totl IEMs, it does not matter too much.

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #3,951 of 7,916
Lastly, I would like to emphasize to all newbies here that Head Fi seriously over exxagerates sound quality differences. Regarding portable devices, unless you are listening to FLAC minimum with mid fi headphones/totl IEMs, it does not matter too much.
You need to finish that off with 'IMO'... it isn't a statement of fact :)

...I can assure people that with even modest earphones (Soundmagic E80) the difference between the B&O DAC and the headphone out of the G5 is VERY easy to pick out, it isn't a case of 320kbps MP3 vs FLAC, this is more akin (although somewhat exaggerated a point) to going to the cinema rather than watching a film in your front room.

Doesn't mean that everyone can, or wants to hear the difference though, that is a big key in this.

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #3,952 of 7,916
You need to finish that off with 'IMO'... it isn't a statement of fact
smily_headphones1.gif

...I can assure people that with even modest earphones (Soundmagic E80) the difference between the B&O DAC and the headphone out of the G5 is VERY easy to pick out, it isn't a case of 320kbps MP3 vs FLAC, this is more akin (although somewhat exaggerated a point) to going to the cinema rather than watching a film in your front room.

Doesn't mean that everyone can, or wants to hear the difference though, that is a big key in this.

I agree. I did a quick A/B with my Moto Z + Mojo and G5 + B&O DAC and I was pretty surprised to see just how close they were (Tidal FLAC source). Which is pretty incredible given that I got the B&O DAC for $125. As a phone, I find the G5 much better as well. 

I keep trying to find something better than the G5 for portable use just for fun but I think I'm giving up for a while :)

-Collin-

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #3,953 of 7,916
You need to finish that off with 'IMO'... it isn't a statement of fact :)

Sure it is just my opinion.

Yes it is indeed very easy to pick out. But I do think the G5 does sound pretty poor considering the fact that it is a 2016 flagship.

I am the sort of the person who wants to hear the difference because I want better audio experience but I thought the sound quality difference with 320kbp files on S7 Edge and hifi module was still minor with the biggest difference being sound sig. I do have to say though that when I heard some sample hifi files on the G5+module, the sound quality was immense.

I've tried so many TOTL headphones (including SR009) and CIEMs this year in search of upgrades that are worth my money but if you listen mostly to 320 like I do and know how to EQ to flat/near flat with apps like Poweramp Alpha according to your taste, there really is no much need to spend so much for top notch SQ is what I found for myself.

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #3,954 of 7,916
http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/news/newsroom/ess-technology-brings-advanced-audiophile-features-mobile-devices-first-time/

Thanks, that is awesome, and but....124DB dynamic range ? :D that is higher than and or similar to most of the high-end portable DAP already. How will the V20 sound ? Wow...can not wait :D

Es9218 is the first ESS and of it kind as an SOC (system on chip). It means it is a ready to go audiophile system in one chip, and all someone need is to properly implant a great and stable power supply into it. That is freaking awesome. I hope V20 has good Powersupply and a big badass battery :D

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #3,955 of 7,916
Sure it is just my opinion.

Yes it is indeed very easy to pick out. But I do think the G5 does sound pretty poor considering the fact that it is a 2016 flagship.

I am the sort of the person who wants to hear the difference because I want better audio experience but I thought the sound quality difference with 320kbp files on S7 Edge and hifi module was still minor with the biggest difference being sound sig. I do have to say though that when I heard some sample hifi files on the G5+module, the sound quality was immense.

I've tried so many TOTL headphones (including SR009) and CIEMs this year in search of upgrades that are worth my money but if you listen mostly to 320 like I do and know how to EQ to flat/near flat with apps like Poweramp Alpha according to your taste, there really is no much need to spend so much for top notch SQ is what I found for myself.
What I will say, and I have said both in this thread, and the dedicated G5 thread, is that the 'Hi-Fi' mode isn't all that great on the G5...

Try the B&O DAC with UAPP, that makes quite a major difference compared to Hi-Fi mode alone... But, if downloading the trial, or buying the app, two considerations, you MUST use 'Software volume control', else will be at full volume, and - I find it better for volume steps to be set at '40', just to make the volume ramping not quite so extreme...

Give it a go, and see what you think :)

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #3,956 of 7,916

Also I prefer this than v10 unconditionally.

Thanks for the screenshots, other than Hi-Fi mode, does it have equalizer settings like most Xiaomi devices? Also does the stock music player support lossless files?

And would you say its a big sound difference between the Le One Pro (X800) and the Le Max (X900)? The only reason why the X900 doesnt convince me its because of that 6 inch screen.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #3,957 of 7,916
Thanks for the screenshots, other than Hi-Fi mode, does it have equalizer settings like most Xiaomi devices? Also does the stock music player support lossless files?

And would you say its a big sound difference between the Le One Pro (X800) and the Le Max (X900)? The only reason why the X900 doesnt convince me its because of that 6 inch screen.

No equalizer settings really. I think when your in hifi mode you can set left to right balance. I think you basically rely on equalizers from corresponding music playing apps.

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #3,958 of 7,916

I dont know how big you define as big. If i have to answer, I will say minor change, i think.

Happy listening though.

Aug 17, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #3,959 of 7,916
Alcatel flash 2 was mentioned a few posts back.

Not sure if the reference was actually to Flash plus 2 which is very recent.

Anyways, what do you people think about this (Alcatel) Flash plus 2 ? Say vs Ulefone Vienna for comparable price point.

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #3,960 of 7,916
Alcatel flash 2 was mentioned a few posts back.

Not sure if the reference was actually to Flash plus 2 which is very recent.

Anyways, what do you people think about this (Alcatel) Flash plus 2 ? Say vs Ulefone Vienna for comparable price point.

Yeah it should be flash plus 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back