Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #2,627 of 7,916
I was interested in this phone, but a couple of things put me off:

1) No dedicated amp or DAC for audio (this has been confirmed by Xiaomi).

2) No microSD slot and internal memory is 32GB or 64GB (the latter is not available in some regions).

3) Some of the Chinese reviews have complained about the build quality, especially compared to other Xiaomi phones like the Mi Note.

They are very good with software side actually.. their phone sounds very like flagship phones but with little power.

May 3, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #2,628 of 7,916
Used LG V10 for six months and lost it last month ...and I am in the market for a better sounding phoen
Auditioned S7, Z5 premium, LG G5, iPhone 6 plus and V10 today. Guess what, the LG G5 HiFi plus really stands out.

May 3, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #2,629 of 7,916
  Used LG V10 for six months and lost it last month ...and I am in the market for a better sounding phoen
Auditioned S7, Z5 premium, LG G5, iPhone 6 plus and V10 today. Guess what, the LG G5 HiFi plus really stands out.

Can you please elaborate on your experience with the sound of the S7? Also on the sound of the LG G5 without the Hi-Fi module?

May 3, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #2,630 of 7,916
Is the chipset in the Lenovo Vibe X3, the X3 c78 and the k4 note the same? I live in Brazil and am about to buy a new smartphone. The Lenovo I'm looking into is the Vibe A7010, which I thought was the X3 c78, but gsmarena says it's the k4 note.

Also, hows the audio quality on the LG G4 or the Moto X Play?

May 3, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #2,631 of 7,916
After all i joined the giant side of the force and bought Lenovo Vibe K4 Note (soundwise equal to Vibe X3).
I'm very satisfied with it, the sound seems loud, clear and better than my previous phones (Z3 compact and Z2). I'm using the lenovo phones (wich are better than any other i've seen in brazilian phones, altough they look pretty cheap ones), i'll provide a better review as soon as i can get good IEMs (looking for HiFiMan RE-400).

Quote:
  Is the chipset in the Lenovo Vibe X3, the X3 c78 and the k4 note the same? I live in Brazil and am about to buy a new smartphone. The Lenovo I'm looking into is the Vibe A7010, which I thought was the X3 c78, but gsmarena says it's the k4 note.

Hi, i'm brazilian too.
Yes, it is the K4 note, at first i did the smae mistake, but after a long research i got convinced that they're all the same soundwise. I got mine last saturday (walmart website is the cheapest place right now if you pay in cash) this week and i'm happy so far.

P.S. The included case is ok (there are some really nice on ebay that i'm looking for), but if you want a screen cover you should buy it online, because i'm having trouble to find it here in Sao Paulo, no one received it yet.

May 3, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #2,632 of 7,916

Hi, i'm brazilian too.
Yes, it is the K4 note, at first i did the smae mistake, but after a long research i got convinced that they're all the same soundwise. I got mine last saturday (walmart website is the cheapest place right now if you pay in cash) this week and i'm happy so far.

P.S. The included case is ok (there are some really nice on ebay that i'm looking for), but if you want a screen cover you should buy it online, because i'm having trouble to find it here in Sao Paulo, no one received it yet.

Looking forward for your review on the K4 note, of course on the audio side and also if possible on the day to day performance. The device its quite cheap in my country its around $250.

Also interested in Mi5 soundwise, anybody here have had a proper test with the mi5? Would like to here from you.

May 4, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #2,633 of 7,916

K4 note has wolfson DAC and pretty much offers good average sound quality. Vibe x3 has sabre dac as well as wolfson in the phone + three amplifiers from texas instrument. I have tested G4 and its close to what my xiaomi Mi3 offers. Moto X has very loud but doesn't offer that clarity in sound may be a external DAC can fix that problem.

May 4, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #2,634 of 7,916
What's the audio output quality like on the Galaxy S5 / S5 Plus??

I have 16 Ohm earphones and wondering if the output impedance is high on these smartphones...

May 4, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #2,635 of 7,916
I have an iphone 5 and recently bought a LG G4, so my comparison is between these two.
The sound on LG g4 is far WORSE than Iphone 5.

I've returned the LG G4 to the store and kept my iphone 5.

May 4, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #2,636 of 7,916

K4 note has wolfson DAC and pretty much offers good average sound quality. Vibe x3 has sabre dac as well as wolfson in the phone + three amplifiers from texas instrument. I have tested G4 and its close to what my xiaomi Mi3 offers. Moto X has very loud but doesn't offer that clarity in sound may be a external DAC can fix that problem.

K4 note also has Texas Instruments OPA1612 amplifiers, i just couldn't get a confirmation of how many of them are included.

May 5, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #2,638 of 7,916
  Does anyone know whether vibe x3 youth edition has ESS sabre dac and 3 TI OPA 1612?

Yes it does: http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_vibe_x3_launched_in_china_in_three_versions-news-15033.php

"All three phones come with some serious audio prowess. There's a total of three Texas Instruments OPA1612 amplifiers, a Cirrus Logic WM8281 codec for noise and echo cancellation to handle the input from the three mics, and a high-end Sabre 9018C2M DAC as found in the LG V10. A Dolby Atmos certification sits proudly on the devices' backs. All models feature a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor as well."

May 5, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #2,639 of 7,916

Yes it does: http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_vibe_x3_launched_in_china_in_three_versions-news-15033.php

"All three phones come with some serious audio prowess. There's a total of three Texas Instruments OPA1612 amplifiers, a Cirrus Logic WM8281 codec for noise and echo cancellation to handle the input from the three mics, and a high-end Sabre 9018C2M DAC as found in the LG V10. A Dolby Atmos certification sits proudly on the devices' backs. All models feature a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor as well."

Gsmarena sometime may provide inaccurate specification.

According to Chinese lenovo forum [http://bbs.lenovo.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&fid=930&tid=565850] , 乐檬X3高配版整合了ESS ES9018 C2M DAC,辅以欧胜Wolfson8281与三颗德仪OPA1612运放芯片。而青春版仅有集成的欧胜WM8281,所以从硬件规格上已经熟了。

It means X3 high end model comes with ESS ES9018 C2M DAC, supplement Wolfson8281 and 3 opa1612 while Youth version only has integrated WM8281. That being said, this info may be inaccurate as well :/

May 5, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #2,640 of 7,916
I just want a smartphone for the audio..
Actually I only want it to be a smartphone for the internet connection.

I want to stream high quality 1080p audio frequencies from youtube and listen to them with the sony mdr-v6 headphones.

LG V10 still the best option ?

I read some posts, people also refer to the HTC M8/M9/A9 or the Marshall London..

I am in Cambodia there is a shop where they sell the LG V10 for 630 USD http://www.hakse.com.kh/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=1606
On amazon it is usually around 515 USD depending on what type it is..

I know nothing about technology :)

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back