Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #2,596 of 7,916
gsmarena... provided a no-reading review for the BnO DAC... sigh.. had high hopes.
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g5_and_friends-review-1432p3.php

As expected the LG Hi-Fi Plus with B&O Play delivers top marks for audio clarity no matter if you are plugging an active external amp or a pair of headphones. The stereo crosstalk is kept low, while the loudness is above the average.

If we are to compare it with the LG G5 output - the extension delivers louder sound, with deeper bass levels, and quite expectedly - wider dynamic range. It isn't the best DAC you can buy though, and considering the high price, you should opt for this only if you will be using it on the LG G5 and with a proper pair of headphones. For any other case, we suggest you shop around first.

By the way, using it on a PC requires for you to install a special driver (navigate to the fifth tab and scroll down). Then you will get a control panel for the upsampling options.

It does improve the quality over the LG G5 and most of the audiophiles will be able to tell it even with cheaper headphones, but we are not sure if its high price tag serves it right.

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #2,598 of 7,916
Trying to shortlist between V10 and below contenders.Will primarily use with FLAC files, with Beyer T51, and occasionally with Audio-Technica AD900x.

Any comparision of SQ of these against V10?

Axon Pro (AKM 4961)- 
does not have microSD slot, but I love qHD screen it has, and overall looks. Approx $175 cheaper than V10. Also has US LTE bands.

Meizu Pro 5 (ES9018K2M and OPA1612, four pairs of NXP high current transistors)- 
many on this forum find it as good as V10 in SQ. Approx $100 cheaper than V10.

Lenovo Vibe X3 (ESS ES9018K2M DAC; Lenovo configured 3xTIOPA1612 amplifier unit; Wolfson® WM8281 audio codec) - 
Approx $175 cheaper than V10. Can live with non-US LTE bands because of price difference here.

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #2,599 of 7,916
  Trying to shortlist between V10 and below contenders.Will primarily use with FLAC files, with Beyer T51, and occasionally with Audio-Technica AD900x.

Axon Pro (AKM 4961)- 
does not have microSD slot, but I love qHD screen it has, and overall looks. Approx $175 cheaper than V10. Also has US LTE bands.

Meizu Pro 5 (ES9018K2M and OPA1612, four pairs of NXP high current transistors)- 

Lenovo Vibe X3 (ESS ES9018K2M DAC; Lenovo configured 3xTIOPA1612 amplifier unit; Wolfson® WM8281 audio codec) - 
Approx $175 cheaper than V10. Can live with non-US LTE bands because of price difference here.

Now if someone could compare these against the g5 as well.

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #2,602 of 7,916
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #2,603 of 7,916
Hey guys this thread is intriguing!!! So far from what I read, it seems like the best phone for sound quality is the Meizu Pro 5 Ubuntu Edition. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Or is there another version of the Pro 5? (Non-Ubuntu)

Or is there some other phone that sounds better than the Meizu Pro 5?

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #2,609 of 7,916

Axon Pro (AKM 4961)- 

Axon pro since it supports all your LTE bands.. or go for vibe x3..

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #2,610 of 7,916
I got a Meizu Pro 5 cheap. Thinking of comparing it to v10 when my mobile plan ends.

I love the Meizu as a phone. Even Flyme 5 OS is super. 

I am somewhat disappointed sound-wise though. Very detailed, but kind of digital sounding, somewhat thin and edgy. Also lacking in output power. They can't really drive Hifiman HE400S (on high-gain). Using Tidal lossless för listening (I have activated hifi-sound for Tidal on the meizu)

Given the hardware, I first thought something might be off with my unit, but comments of meizu forum also complain about poor output power.

It might be sw related, since apparently the sound was better on Flyme 4 or Kitkat, don't remember (using Flyme 5), and they changed something to save battery. Haven't tried downgrading though. The stock music player also sounds slightly better to me than Tidal, which also mirrors what some people on the forum is saying, so maybe the hardware is good but others apps can't really use. Since I only stream music I haven't used the stock music plater much though. 

For comparison: detailed, but by far not as enjoyable as for example Geekout v2, of Hifime 9018D. 

To be clear: sounds good by phone standards, but since some people have compared the v10 favorably to stand-alone stuff, just a bit disappointed. 

Also a bit confused, since meizu was described as warm sounding, and I find it hard and a bit edgy. 

Take in to consideration that this might be an effect of the fact that they are underpowered for the HE400S.

I also tried the line-out function on my speaker setup at home. Geek out sounds miles better (which it should I guess.)

Hopefully I can try out the v10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back