Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #2,311 of 7,916

and once again I will ask...

where can I find an unbiased review of the LG G10 and its audio performance. even LG makes no mention of the enhanced audio on the landing page of their own device. I also found a comparison on phone arena's website and they only show headphone output voltage (of which the HiFi should be enabled as it is a headphone dependent feature) and according to their measurement my 950XL has a .3 V output advantage.

I am going to hit up my local cellphone shop and  do some  comparative listening for myself, because its my ears and my perception of sound I should ultimately be concerned with.

thanks for all the info

Can't really point you in the direction of better reviews, most smartphone review sites don't take enough care in their audio testing, and a lot of audiophile sites don't bother much with smartphones reviews.

In regards to the output voltage on phonearena, I'm skeptical again, because in order to put the amp in high gain mode on the V10 you either need headphones with an impedance of at least 50 ohms to get it into high impedance mode or you need to get it into aux output mode. If their testing was done in normal audio mode, even if the hifi DAC is on, the amp is not in high gain mode, so you're not actually measuring the maximum output. 

I would definitely encourage some in-person testing, but keep in mind that you'll need to use an app that supports the Hifi DAC (or use DAC Fix from the play store, which probably isn't possible on a display model), and you'll also either need to use high impedance headphones or trick the phone into aux mode to really experience the audio at its best. 

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #2,312 of 7,916
Just for reference, these are the ESS components the LG V10 uses

http://www.esstech.com/files/8714/4095/2156/SABRE9018C2M_PB_v0.9_141212.pdf

http://www.esstech.com/files/3514/4095/2894/SABRE9602C_PB_v0.6_141212_1.pdf

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #2,313 of 7,916
  I would definitely encourage some in-person testing, but keep in mind that you'll need to use an app that supports the Hifi DAC (or use DAC Fix from the play store, which probably isn't possible on a display model), and you'll also either need to use high impedance headphones or trick the phone into aux mode to really experience the audio at its best. 

I will bring the proper player with me and side load it via OTG... as long as I don't need root access to gain the functionality, I should be fine

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #2,315 of 7,916
  how does the marshall london perform when compared to lg v10? i don't see much comparisons.

The reason for that is that the Marshall London was very rarely bought. It is/ was really expensive for that power/richness of features and the company is more known for AMPs and not smarthphones.(And it is just a licensing deal with Marshall, FYI)

It has a Wolfson DAC, technically it is inferior to the one built in the V10.

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #2,317 of 7,916
and once again I will ask...

where can I find an unbiased review of the LG G10 and its audio performance. even LG makes no mention of the enhanced audio on the landing page of their own device. I also found a comparison on phone arena's website and they only show headphone output voltage (of which the HiFi should be enabled as it is a headphone dependent feature) and according to their measurement my 950XL has a .3 V output advantage.

I am going to hit up my local cellphone shop and  do some  comparative listening for myself, because its my ears and my perception of sound I should ultimately be concerned with.

thanks for all the info

If you called my review Bias ? Then whatever you say......But hey! I didn't get the free phone for the honest review that I provided to you, and I actually bought the damn phone....so at the least, a thank you would be nice.....but whatever, I have learned enough from the young generation nowadays.

Also to clarify it out loud, audio quality is my core hobby, and not even freebies will earn my biased review ever

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,318 of 7,916
If you called my review Bias ? Then whatever you say......But hey! I didn't get the free phone for the honest review that I provided to you, and I actually bought the damn phone....so at the least, a thank you would be nice.....but whatever, I have learned enough from the young generation nowadays.

Also to clarify it out loud, audio quality is my core hobby, and not even freebies will earn my biased review ever

lets get a few things straight shall we...

1. I never read your review, and based on your response to me you feel the need to justify whatever it is you wrote
2. you are the one who seems biased to the sources I quoted
3. I knew after reading some posts in this thread I would be discounted for not agreeing
4. even though you edited your post I have the original copy in my email so when you go crying to a moderator I can back up what I am saying

and lastly...

a very wise man told me once "toughen up young man, most people on this planet couldn't care less if you wake up tomorrow"

don't worry this is the last time I will infect your thread with my questions

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #2,319 of 7,916
If you were just having questions, no one would mind...but you directly called out my review as biased to GSMarena measurements ? What did they measure ? What equipments did they use ? Did they properly turn on the Hi-fi ? You don't know that, and I already said that their measurements were very similar to any Snapdragon DAC phones that I experiences, and I provided you an in depth review of the V10 for your question, but you called me biased and that was impolite, beside you don't even know one bit about the phone itself. Of course not everyone agree with my review, but to did what you did was very rude. This will be the last time I respond to your post. Let's get back to the topic, and as everybody in the US has been waiting for, the G5. Hopefully the G5 with hifi module will be as good as the V10. Here, hoping for the best smartphone for audiophile as well

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #2,320 of 7,916
What's a cheap smartphone with good sq? (prefer no chinese smartphones that you'll have to export)

In that case, go to phone shop and use otg drive and your headgear and hear for yourself. You might find cheap phone with satisfying sound you like. As I can't think of cheap phone good sound with non chinese made :)

Well maybe sony z2 is what you need. But can't any compared to chinese phone sq for my taste.

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #2,321 of 7,916
which meizu? mx4 pro?
I'm searching for 5-5.2 inch, no more *sigh*
thanks

All pro version of meizu is the beast. C'mon go out of comfort zone 5.7" phone is not that bad. You can adjust one day like I am. As now i can use 6.3" Letv max without problems in life. LOL.

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #2,323 of 7,916
All pro version of meizu is the beast. C'mon go out of comfort zone 5.7" phone is not that bad. You can adjust one day like I am. As now i can use 6.3" Letv max without problems in life. LOL.

sorry, my bad - I can't adjust, was trying really hard :wink: 
my friend has a 5.5 note, I've used it for many days, just does not work out for me.
i have motox2014 now with 5.1 and I'm very happy ... so stuck with this size.
funny, that good-dac smartphone is 5.5+, a weird side-effect in my continuous search for one-device-only (DAP+phone not good)

so far I have on my list
HTC A9
Sony Z3
Htc M9
Samsung S6
ZTE Nubia Z9

any recommendations?

cheers!

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #2,324 of 7,916

my friend has a 5.5 note, I've used it for many days, just does not work out for me.
funny, that good-dac smartphone is 5.5+, a weird side-effect in my continuous search for one-device-only (DAP+phone not good)

so far I have on my list
HTC A9
Sony Z3
Htc M9
Samsung S6
ZTE Nubia Z9

any recommendations?

cheers!

lxlx, 

I'm assuming you have no plans to use a portable amp/DAC with whichever phone you choose, correct? 

If so, I would say go for the Sony Xperia Z3, which I happened to own for about a year and a half until about 2 weeks ago. I now have the Samsung Galaxy S7. If we're talking headphones, then the Z3, the S7 and M9 (I had the M8, which was basically the same as the M9) are all great options b/c all 3 have very solid amp/DACs. The only thing I'll say about the Samsung phones is, I notice on my S7 that when I'm on a call or listening to music through the speakers, there's this real SLIGHT "echoey bounce" to the sound, which I don't really like. It's not a big deal, because that has nothing to do with headphone listening, but if you're planning on listening to the phone speakers, you may notice that too. I did NOT have that issue with my M8 or Z3. 

Before I got my Oppo HA-2 portable amp/DAC, I spent some time listening to music straight from my phone. This didn't go on for very long (fortunately), and I recall wanting to upgrade. So I tried out the $200 (at the time) iBasso DX50, thinking it would at least sound a LITTLE better than my Z3. After comparing both over the same set of songs on the same pair of headphones, I concluded that the DX50 sounded NO better than my Z3. So it went back. They say the FiiO X3 sounds just like the DX50, and even though I'd bought that at the same time, I didn't bother opening it, and just returned it with the DX50. It wasn't until I upped my spending limit to $300 and bought the Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 that I finally noticed a difference. So point here is took a $300 DAP to outdo my Z3. That tells you right there that the Z3's audio capabilities are not to be taken lightly (for a smartphone anyway lol). I've talked to at least one other reviewer (not on here) who had his own blog and said at the time (about a year ago) that the Z3 was the BEST smartphone audio quality-wise that was out there (at least for Android). He tested several others, and his conclusion was this: 

[COLOR=222222]Z3[/COLOR][COLOR=222222] > One M8 > Note 4 > M7 > Note 3  = Z1 = Z2 >> G3[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]I should say one more thing though, although the G3 was rated dead last by that one reviewer, LG is about to release a real "gamechanger" of a phone for those who want "something more" with regards to Hi-Fi. The LG G5 is coming out in April, so right around the corner. It will be the FIRST smartphone of its kind to have switchable modules at the bottom of the phone, giving owners the option to use a better camera mod or for us, the Hi-Fi Plus mod, which will feature a great DAC & amp chipset. The DAC on the Hi-Fi Plus mod is even one step higher than the one on my HA-2 (9028 vs. 9018)! It will be compatible with all phones, so you can use as a third party device like I do with the HA-2, but it WOULD be easiest to just buy the G5 and put it on there. Only down side is the regular case for G5 won't fit since the mod makes the length SLIGHTLY bigger, but if you don't use a case it won't matter. (Someone MAY make a case for it though. We'll see.) Basically, the Plus mod + the G5 would make this BY FAR the best sounding smartphone in existence![/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Since the S7 Edge I got a couple weeks ago was too big for my tastes, I got the S7 instead. The G5 with the mod will be bigger than the S7 Edge, so that right there is why I'm not getting the G5, but wanted to initially. However, it's very likely I may get the Plus mod and just replace my $300 HA-2 with it if it sounds better, or if the Plus mod sells for under $200, if it sounds at least AS good as my HA-2, I may still buy it. Just have to see. More info here. More info on the G5 itself here. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Update: You can start pre-ordering the G5 by the end of this month. T-Mobile will also carry it with a special promo deal. I don't see the Hi-Fi Plus listed on LG's U.S. site, so I'm not sure what that means, but the "the end of this month" article does list a price of $160 (probably that low b/c they bought the 9028 chip in bulk), so should be soon. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Hope that helps![/COLOR]

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #2,325 of 7,916

so far I have on my list
HTC A9
Sony Z3
Htc M9
Samsung S6
ZTE Nubia Z9

any recommendations?

cheers!

Then go for Z3 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread