Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #1,771 of 7,916
I find xiaomi as a very good source for music. It even gave SQ better than fiio x3ii. Clear and transparent sound with good soundstage . natural bass is what i love. Even headphone shop owner and sound engineer friend in my city said it is great as well. Maybe it is not sound tone you like, I think?

Cuz meizu is warm tone but xiaomi kinda bright. Maybe it is just preference or matching with earphone.

Forget to share. Xiaomi audio module has great capacitor from panasonic and great two asynchrounus clocks as well. After burnt in 200 hr, sound is so good comparable to meizu.

And new firmware makes the sound more wonderful

Now that you mentioned I believe I've never had 200hr burn in with the L925. Gonna try some time in the near future...xD

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #1,772 of 7,916
I find xiaomi as a very good source for music. It even gave SQ better than fiio x3ii. Clear and transparent sound with good soundstage . natural bass is what i love. Even headphone shop owner and sound engineer friend in my city said it is great as well. Maybe it is not sound tone you like, I think?

Cuz meizu is warm tone but xiaomi kinda bright. Maybe it is just preference or matching with earphone.

Forget to share. Xiaomi audio module has great capacitor from panasonic and great two asynchrounus clocks as well. After burnt in 200 hr, sound is so good comparable to meizu.

And new firmware makes the sound more wonderful

Still worth to get the Mi Note even today?

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #1,773 of 7,916

Still worth to get the Mi Note even today?

It is worth In term of cheap phone , 64GB with no additional memory, with not-so-bad camera and very stable rom which has updated every week. and near to eat Marshmallow soon. 

But if you want best camera quality or another premium scanning finger and NFC to connect with your mirrorless camera. It is no worth. cuz there are far better phone at higher price.

Keep it simple, it depends on your necessity in life. but if you are not smartphone lover who change it every 9 month like me, it is enough for another 3 year for sure.

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #1,774 of 7,916
  It is worth In term of cheap phone , 64GB with no additional memory, with not-so-bad camera and very stable rom which has updated every week. and near to eat Marshmallow soon. 

But if you want best camera quality or another premium scanning finger and NFC to connect with your mirrorless camera. It is no worth. cuz there are far better phone at higher price.

Keep it simple, it depends on your necessity in life. but if you are not smartphone lover who change it every 9 month like me, it is enough for another 3 year for sure.

Thanks for the clear answer.

Only looking for a cheap phone with good SQ and good enough specs for at least 1 - 2 years.

Have you compared the SQ with any DAP so far?

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #1,775 of 7,916
Hi everyone! First time poster here.

So I recently lost my iPhone 5C to an unfortunate water accident (not covered by warranty...) and am looking into buying a new phone. I live in Brazil, so some top notch flagship phones may be a bit out of my price range and some chinese phones may be unattainable. Also, I'll be traveling to the US at the end of the month, so buying a phone available unlocked in the US is a possibility as well. Initially, before my 5C dungoofed, I was thinking about upgrading to an iPhone 6 64gb, but with some recent experiences with Apple I've been rethinking that, rather disappointed with how they are treating their customers now, been using Apple and Macs for 20 years now.

The things I am looking for in the phone:

Hi-Fi quality without any external amps for headphone use;
Good performance and stability CPU-wise that will last me 2-3 years at least (comparable to an iPhone and iOS);
Camera comparable or better than an iphone;
Expandable storage preferable, but not necessary;
Good battery life;
Preferably smaller than 5', but I'm open to it being my first big phone.

Some phones I've seen in this thread and considered are the MX4, MX4 Pro, HTC mini 2 (seems a bit weak CPU-wise), HTC m8/m9, iphone 5s/6.

Are iphones still better overall than androids? I had horrible experiences with androids in the early days, especially with a galaxy S3 mini. I've noticed that the prices don't differ as much anymore as well between iphones and androids... I would like the Pro 5 from Meizu, but it's a bit out of my price range at the moment, as is the VS10 (the g4 is already the equivalent of 700 US dollars).

Wow this post seems a bit overwhelming, but hope I can get some help on this

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #1,776 of 7,916

So I recently lost my iPhone 5C to an unfortunate water accident (not covered by warranty...) and am looking into buying a new phone. I live in Brazil, so some top notch flagship phones may be a bit out of my price range and some chinese phones may be unattainable. Also, I'll be traveling to the US at the end of the month, so buying a phone available unlocked in the US is a possibility as well. Initially, before my 5C dungoofed, I was thinking about upgrading to an iPhone 6 64gb, but with some recent experiences with Apple I've been rethinking that, rather disappointed with how they are treating their customers now, been using Apple and Macs for 20 years now.

Good performance and stability CPU-wise that will last me 2-3 years at least (comparable to an iPhone and iOS);
Good battery life;

Some phones I've seen in this thread and considered are the MX4, MX4 Pro, HTC mini 2 (seems a bit weak CPU-wise), HTC m8/m9, iphone 5s/6.

Are iphones still better overall than androids? I had horrible experiences with androids in the early days, especially with a galaxy S3 mini. I've noticed that the prices don't differ as much anymore as well between iphones and androids... I would like the Pro 5 from Meizu, but it's a bit out of my price range at the moment, as is the VS10 (the g4 is already the equivalent of 700 US dollars).

My recommendation list would be
- Letv pro 
- meizu 5 pro mini
- vivo x6 

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #1,777 of 7,916
I bought a iphone 5 s 32GB. Was cheaper than a new ipod touch :)
Really good and smoother than most Android. No lag. No battery drain. Had a HTC M8 Mini 2 before. Sound great but slow as fu.. So sold it and bought iphone.
Works without iTunes now and I'm happy. I like better the iPhone as my MP3 Player and my HTC M7 as phone. Witch sounds pretty OK but is not loud enough by some Headphones and Earplugs. And when my wife becomes a new phone I get her iphone 6 plus 64 GB :)

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #1,779 of 7,916
Top-notch SQ. You should plug in your earphone and feel it yourself.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,781 of 7,916
How about performance? And I couldn't find out if it has expandable storage, but I'm assuming it has since there are 2 SIM slots and most dual chinese phones can use one slot for microSD

No expandable but you could find 64gb version
Performance is great and camera quality is good. UI clean and very stable.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #1,782 of 7,916
The Pro 5 has a great and powerful output. it can drive a 250 ohms headphone (dt 880) so maybe more ? I think it's possible. But i've also a great portable amp / dac (Fiio E18).  So, I look to buy a beyerdynamic dt 990 @ 250 or 600 ohms.

Just to drive them so that you can hear music out of the Pro 5 ? Yes !

Drive them at full capacity ? I don't think so !

It's better to choose the 250 ohms version if you intend to use it without an amp, even though you won't be able to get the best out of it. Add the E18 and things will get a little better. 600 ohms headphones needs proper setups to shine. Smartphones are the worst solution in this figure, but paired with a good amp, it shall be fine

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #1,783 of 7,916
I bought a iphone 5 s 32GB. Was cheaper than a new ipod touch :)
Really good and smoother than most Android. No lag. No battery drain. Had a HTC M8 Mini 2 before. Sound great but slow as fu.. So sold it and bought iphone.
Works without iTunes now and I'm happy. I like better the iPhone as my MP3 Player and my HTC M7 as phone. Witch sounds pretty OK but is not loud enough by some Headphones and Earplugs. And when my wife becomes a new phone I get her iphone 6 plus 64 GB :)

Really? The 5s better than M7 four sounding? You're the first I see saying that. I do know the SQ from Apples are great but the HTCs are even better from what I've heard because they invest excatly in the part of the phone.

Good battery life;

Hey man, I live in Brazil too and share your dificulties to buy a great phone. It's too bad you don't want a big phone case just yesterday I saw the Lenovo Vibe X3 for R$1400 in Lenovo's brazilian web site, it's the lower model with the MT6753 SoC and the Hi-Fi stuff is all there.
I jumped from a 3.5" for a 4.7" and found it was awesome, then jumped from 4.3" to 5". It's easy to get used to them.

From what you said and besides the size I can recomend you the Meizu MX4 Pro, with the 64GB model you won't have any issues with storage.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #1,784 of 7,916
Just to drive them so that you can hear music out of the Pro 5 ? Yes !

Drive them at full capacity ? I don't think so !

It's better to choose the 250 ohms version if you intend to use it without an amp, even though you won't be able to get the best out of it. Add the E18 and things will get a little better. 600 ohms headphones needs proper setups to shine. Smartphones are the worst solution in this figure, but paired with a good amp, it shall be fine

The Pro 5 can drive headphones up to 300 ohms. So I take the DT990 Pro.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,785 of 7,916
SQ from Apples are great but the HTCs are even better from what I've heard because they invest excatly in the part of the phone.

What about SQ from oranges then?

But well, I do agree that some HTC phones sound great, but it's a shame that for the most part that "investment" goes into user software (so you could turn on "bloat mode" EQ) and external speakers as opposed to the actual DAC, implementation and low level drivers code for noise filtering etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back