Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #1,741 of 7,916
Hi @all,

Since i`m interested in the V10 (had a G4 before, and the only thing that i didn`t like was it`s audio quality), i was reading through this thread and thought i would share a little bit of my experience regarding two Phones that are occasionally mentioned here.. I had an Meizu Pro 5 until yesterday and traded it for a Xiaomi Mi note Pro (also a suppossed Phone for Audiophiles). 

First my impressions about the Meizu Pro 5:

I`m no professional and don`t know all the specific terms, but that thing sounds absolutely phenomenal. I`m also not using expensive headphones (AKG 518 DJ), but even with these, the difference between this device and all the other Phones i`ve ever heard (HTC`s, Iphones, Xperias etc) is like day and night. It`s really another world in comparison. The sound is extremly clear, with absolutely no distortion even on max loudness (and that thing is veeeery loud), the soundstage is wider, the whole sound is much cleaner than on any other device i`ve ever listened to. You can really hear every single noise/instrument, no matter how far in the background it is. The trebles can be a little harsh/sharp, but they`re never getting distorted either. It has also plenty of bass, which, what i think is very important, sound right in every situation.Depending on the music/song you`re listening to, the bass will sound hard when it`s supposed to, and sound soft when it has to sound soft. It`s not that aritificial digital sound that you`re getting on most phones, the sound is just amazing. 
I didn`t like the software of this phone, but the audio is absolutely superb. Somehow they managed to make it worse with the 5.5 update, so everyone who thinks about buying this phone and cares about audio - stay with flyme 4.5.

Speaking about the Xiaomi, the sound is vastly inferior to the Meizu. It also has DAC and AMP, but it seems that they didn`t know how to optimize it, or they just don`t care. The sound gets distorted on high volume, it is not as rich and sounds more "compressed" than on the Meizu, the bass is weaker and will meddle with the middles and heights when you set it too high and all in all, it sounds more artificial. Don`t get me wrong, it will still sound better than most Smartphones, but the Meizu is another league.

Also, you can either choose between the HI-FI setting (which sounds awful to my ears) OR the equalizer, but you can`t use both together. I don`t know which idiot made that decision, but he should be fired immediately :).

Now if any person here listened to the V10 and the Meizu Pro 5, it would be nice to hear a detailed comparison.  I really want to get the V10 since i`m used to the G4 and the camera was awesome, but i can`t believe that any phone can sound better than the Pro 5.

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #1,742 of 7,916
Surprisingly most head fiers tend to love V10 sound best.

Because in my countries (Thailand), smartphone players including me vote SQ for Meizu = Letv > Mi note pro > vivo = V10.

Maybe it is due to favoritism on individual and their own playlist/headphones?

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #1,744 of 7,916
Letv 
  Hello,

According to what you say, Letv equals Meizu in SQ. I have the opportunity to have one, do you have an idea of which one in Letv family offers best SQ ?

Thanks !

Sylean

Letv max, after 200+ hr burn in, gives the best in SQ among all members.

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #1,745 of 7,916
Hi all, I've recently bougth a Meizu Pro 5 and it's just amazing ! (IMO ^^ )
Before, I used a Meizu MX4 with a portable AMP/DAC Fiio E18. With this Meizu Pro 5, my Fiio E18 became useless. I use two headphones, an AKG K242HD and a Sennheiser Momentum On-ear.
The sound is awesome. I'm not familiar with audiophile terms and all this things, but, it's the best audio source I never heard.

I compared this Pro 5 with some other smartphones : iPhone 6, HTC One M7 (with /out Fiio E18), Sony Z5 and a (yeah it's not a smartphone ^^) Sony ZX2. So, I can't find a very difference with Sony ZX2 but the Pro 5 beats all others. It is the best audiophile smartphone ? Hmmm... Probably. And his price is relatively low compared to an audiophile device.

For me, the Pro 5 is the best (for the moment).

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #1,748 of 7,916
If aynone is looking for a budget good sounding smartphone: 

http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_vibe_k4_note_launched_in_india_for_180-news-15854.php

It has a Wolfson DAC(better one than the Sammys) and Stereo speakers and most importantly, expandable storage!

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #1,749 of 7,916
The Wolfson of the K4 Note is the WM8281.It's the same than the Meizu MX4. It's a good DAC. Not the best, but good.

We have others info for the components inside this Lenovo ? (OP, companion chip etc...)

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #1,750 of 7,916
  The Wolfson of the K4 Note is the WM8281.It's the same than the Meizu MX4. It's a good DAC. Not the best, but good.

We have others info for the components inside this Lenovo ? (OP, companion chip etc...)

How do you know the DAC inside the MX4 é o WM8281, never could find it. What is the DAC inside the L925? I imagine is the Qualcomm's one...xP

I need a good sounding smartphone...

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #1,751 of 7,916
When Meizu released their MX4, many people have discussed about his dac.

But the wolfson 8281 is a feature of the Mediatek MT6595. So other devices with MT6595 have a WM8281 too.

http://electronics360.globalspec.com/article/4189/mediatek-to-integrate-wolfson-audio

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #1,752 of 7,916
I've heard somewhere that MX4 (non-PRO) has worse DAC than MX3?

I've had MX3 and although it's DAC is not bad, it can't quite compare with Nexus 5, especially with later Flyme OS versions which seemingly decreased the output power (although there is a chance that they fixed this recently since I've sold that phone several months ago).

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #1,753 of 7,916
When Meizu released their MX4, many people have discussed about his dac.

But the wolfson 8281 is a feature of the Mediatek MT6595. So other devices with MT6595 have a WM8281 too.

http://electronics360.globalspec.com/article/4189/mediatek-to-integrate-wolfson-audio

Thanks for the tip. This site you posted the link always concerns about the DAC? Cause if yes I would like to continue reading...

I've heard somewhere that MX4 (non-PRO) has worse DAC than MX3?

I've had MX3 and although it's DAC is not bad, it can't quite compare with Nexus 5, especially with later Flyme OS versions which seemingly decreased the output power (although there is a chance that they fixed this recently since I've sold that phone several months ago).

It can't be, the MX3 has the WM5102, by Wolfson, and the WM8281 should be an upgrade. It's a shame the Nexus devices don't have good audio, made a search on the 5X and it's output is pretty low resulting on low volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back