Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #1,321 of 7,916

Sometimes I wonder if anyone reads anything except the very last page, of any of the threads on head-fi, before they post...

Well to be fair, OP should update first post with newly added info! as a sticky perhaps?

Even when the info being posted is already posted on the very same page
rolleyes.gif

Don't get me wrong - I have a sense of humour about it, but still....
regular_smile .gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #1,322 of 7,916
  Can someone set this straight for me....

people are always recommending various mods, roms etc. What do these actually do, I know they give you various options for EQing etc, but can they really improve on the actual quality of the sound?

Is it necessary, and can anyone explain why?

Also, I read Poweramp is the best media player to use, is this true?  Does it make any difference in quality to the stock apps

Thanks

....Rooting - it's called as an equivalent to jailbreaking (in ios) for reasons for more of everything in ur phone, http://lifehacker.com/top-10-reasons-to-root-your-android-phone-1079161983 
.... Improve ? - increase the Volume default level is one reason, there are Lots...
... Necessary - to some, maximize ur phones worth - As for me, I was an ex-iPhone user which was ''professionally'' jail broken to unlock features, install apps for free. NOW I'm android & even without rooting 'phones supposed to be great. Correct? And avoid ''Bricking'' the phone.
... Poweramp paid app - see below - my 3 century old phone cannot play the file such as the type below. Therefore, I will never know how fantastic this music I'm missing did I not install. Also, It did not state power for nothing. It does unlock features on ur phone, rooting is required. However, I installed the app so there's no more need for that...lastly, poweramp supports 24 bit 192 kHz type files.

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #1,326 of 7,916
When the S7 will be out, you gonna wait for another one...S8 maybe lol ! I can't understand why people are always looking for things that doesn't exist, I want a flying skate board too but Mc Fly isn't there yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Umm because the S7 is going to have an ESS DAC and this is a head-fi forum asking about phones for sound quality.  Really not hard to understand buddy.   

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #1,327 of 7,916

Umm because the S7 is going to have an ESS DAC and this is a head-fi forum asking about phones for sound quality.  Really not hard to understand buddy.   

Have they said for certain that it will have an ess dac or are people speculating? I haven't seen any official evidence that other phones are going to start using them so I'm genuinely curious.

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #1,329 of 7,916
Thanks guys! It seems the wise choice is to wait for the samsung S7, I'm not such a big fan of LG phones. I was hoping the Sony Z5 would be good, but it seems I have to wait.

Mythos

I guess you were referring to me. I'm new to this kind of forum and I didn't have time to go through all of the pages of the thread. 

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #1,331 of 7,916
  Thanks guys! It seems the wise choice is to wait for the samsung S7

Yup, wise decision!

From gsmarena.com

"Moving on, the Galaxy S7 is said to also come with the Sabre 9018AQ2M audio chip by ESS Technology, which will turn the phone into a Hi-Fi powerhouse, with superior audio quality. The chip in question reportedly features 129 dB signal-to-noise ratio, and it supports PCM up to 32-bit and 384 KHz, as well as DSD 11.2 MHz sampling. Its overall power consumption is very small, with only 1mW needed in standby and less than 40mW at all times."

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #1,332 of 7,916

Thanks guys! It seems the wise choice is to wait for the samsung S7

Yup, wise decision!

From gsmarena.com

"Moving on, the Galaxy S7 is said to also come with the Sabre 9018AQ2M audio chip by ESS Technology, which will turn the phone into a Hi-Fi powerhouse, with superior audio quality. The chip in question reportedly features 129 dB signal-to-noise ratio, and it supports PCM up to 32-bit and 384 KHz, as well as DSD 11.2 MHz sampling. Its overall power consumption is very small, with only 1mW needed in standby and less than 40mW at all times."

Really?
rolleyes.gif

As has been discussed more than once, in this thread, it is questionable whether it is a good thing to buy an audiophile smartphone that the manufacturer refuses to include memory expansion in.

Everyone has different opinions on this, and I am aware of possible expansion via the USB socket, but, to me, it just doesn't make sense to pay premium dollars for a deliberately crippled device, considering how large a decent music collection (and using a decent fairly-large codec-size) can be.

I'm not saying I am right and you are wrong - don't mean it like that at all. 
beerchug.gif

But why suffer because some manufacturer selfishly wants to stop you from having memory expansion when using their devices?

Why give them money to support that approach?

I think it was said, in this thread or the LG V10 one (can't remember), that the reason for no memory expansion on the Samsungs, is due to a different management of the internal memory, with a memory card bus being too slow, or something similar.

But the way I look at it is that if LG can manage it, then Samsung surely can, if they were truly motivated to serve their customers.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #1,334 of 7,916

I think it was said, in this thread or the LG V10 one (can't remember), that the reason for no memory expansion on the Samsungs, is due to a different management of the internal memory, with a memory card bus being too slow, or something similar.

But the way I look at it is that if LG can manage it, then Samsung surely can, if they were truly motivated to serve their customers.

Samsung simply chasing it apples, and that is the end of the storry

Yeah, it was my understanding that the lack of expansion and swappable battery were due to the glass back. So if that's the case, its because Samsung wants to be apple.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #1,335 of 7,916
Well, whatever the reason, Samsung won't be enjoying my money any time soon  (and I say that as an SG2 buyer, so it's not that I hate the company itself - just their attitude to customers, in recent phone models)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back