Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #1,291 of 7,916
Hello,

I'm new here and would like to get help for making the decision. I have Moto X 1st gen and Samsung Note 3 and i have used HTC M9 recently for some time. Both moto and note 3 is inferior to M9 when it comes to sound quality. For all other purpose motorola and Note3 are fantastic to use, but sound quality is still the important feature I'm looking. So if i buy Fiio E11K or Fiio E07K and pair it with Note3, is it going to sound better than HTC M9?

The new LG V10 have dedicated DAC and its looks pretty good in all aspect. But i'm more interested in that Sound quality section. So wait some more time and go for V10 or getting a better Fiio DAC with Note3 would be the Better Choice? 

Thanks for your help

Almost any phone will be worse than the M9 except for a few with dedicated dac. Almost any external dac will sound better than any phone, even the ones with dedicated dac.

I am fortunate to be able to use the Chord Hugo. SQ wise you can't do much more but I still look for a high quality phone with good camera and dac. Why, well easy, it is the same reason as I like a good camera on my phone, convenience. I like an SLR better but it is too cumbersome to carry with me all the time. Same with my dac and full size headphones.

What kind of IEM/HP are you using? That answer will help us in determining which combo/phone is good enough.

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #1,293 of 7,916
Almost any phone will be worse than the M9 except for a few with dedicated dac. Almost any external dac will sound better than any phone, even the ones with dedicated dac.

I am fortunate to be able to use the Chord Hugo. SQ wise you can't do much more but I still look for a high quality phone with good camera and dac. Why, well easy, it is the same reason as I like a good camera on my phone, convenience. I like an SLR better but it is too cumbersome to carry with me all the time. Same with my dac and full size headphones.

What kind of IEM/HP are you using? That answer will help us in determining which combo/phone is good enough.

I have Yamaha EPH-100. What i really looking for in a mobile is the sound quality. It's not a problem for me to carry a DAC everywhere. So is it a good idea to invest on M9 or LG V10 or go for a good DAC which will improve my current note3 into higher than those two.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #1,294 of 7,916

I have Yamaha EPH-100. What i really looking for in a mobile is the sound quality. It's not a problem for me to carry a DAC everywhere. So is it a good idea to invest on M9 or LG V10 or go for a good DAC which will improve my current note3 into higher than those two.

Are you on Verizon? I'll sell ya a mint M9 for pretty cheap.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,295 of 7,916
What's best for audio? LG v10, and Meizu MX4 Pro or ZTE Axon?
Or do you think I can get the same sound quality by buying a USB DAC for my oneplus one with Lollipop that works well with USB DACs.
Do a < 100 euros usb DAC is ok?

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #1,296 of 7,916

iPhone 6s is better than M9, I think it's the best sounding phone in the market.

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #1,297 of 7,916
Oct 31, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #1,298 of 7,916

You do not really need a dac, a good smartphone will be almost as good. The M9 is very good as is the Samsung S6. The V10 is good, but only for music played with their music player.

I have Sleek SA6 IEMs and, although an external dac is better, the difference is a lot less than with my full size cans. The best advice I can give you is to order both, listen to them both and send the dac back if you like the phone of the phone back if you like the dac a lot more.

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #1,299 of 7,916
You do not really need a dac, a good smartphone will be almost as good. The M9 is very good as is the Samsung S6. The V10 is good, but only for music played with their music player.

I have Sleek SA6 IEMs and, although an external dac is better, the difference is a lot less than with my full size cans. The best advice I can give you is to order both, listen to them both and send the dac back if you like the phone of the phone back if you like the dac a lot more.

One side note. Tidal also works 100% with the ESS Sabre DAC and amp. Most apps dont work with them, but its not just the stock music player. Google Play Music can also access the hifi chips when its playing music from the SD card. So there is hope that maybe more apps will work with it later. The stock music player is fine if you are just simply looking to play music and you dont need Neutrons fancy eq or anything. And we can stream with Tidal and use the high end chips.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #1,301 of 7,916
Hi

I just bought a used HTC one M8.  It sounds a lot better than my Moto E, so pleased about that.  Are there any settings I should be using to get the best sound, things I should turn off etc? I know Boomsound is horrible and have turned that off, anything else?

Thanks

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,302 of 7,916
Hi

I just bought a used HTC one M8.  It sounds a lot better than my Moto E, so pleased about that.  Are there any settings I should be using to get the best sound, things I should turn off etc? I know Boomsound is horrible and have turned that off, anything else?

Thanks

Try jetaudio plus, enable bongiovi sound effect and find the right adjustment for your ear buds, you don't need anything more, I own one m8 now

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,303 of 7,916
Try jetaudio plus, enable bongiovi sound effect and find the right adjustment for your ear buds, you don't need anything more, I own one m8 now

Hi

Thanks

DragonFi Mod.

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,305 of 7,916
Can someone set this straight for me....

people are always recommending various mods, roms etc. What do these actually do, I know they give you various options for EQing etc, but can they really improve on the actual quality of the sound?

Is it necessary, and can anyone explain why?

Also, I read Poweramp is the best media player to use, is this true?  Does it make any difference in quality to the stock apps

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back