Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #212 of 7,916
Seems some rumours that Sony are going to release a music orientated smartphone that will get audiophiles heads turning. I used to to be a Sony only guy because of thief their walk man brand, but after proper investigation realised HTC actually offered best in class sound. I hated the default Xperia home launcher compared to sense so if I was to go back to Sony the audio would have to be impressive. Anyway good to see companies like Sony and HTC taking audio seriously...Anyone else be tempted to ditch HTC for rumoured phone?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/sony-xperia-z4-music-high-res-walkman-smartphone-pack-4in-screen-snapdragon-801-8mp-camera-1482835

On the first glance, looks like it's gonna be yet another case of "much fuss for nothing".
Look at the headlights:
ClearAudio+, VPT, S-Master, Dynamic Normalizer, DPC... SuperDuperDolbyUltraPlus (okay, this one wasn't there :D)

When looking for great sounding device, the LAST thing I care about is it's stock software and music player settings/tweaks.
I've yet to see an European device which would be properly advertised for music(example of how it's done properly), it goes without saying that at last they need to make innovations from hardware side and show it to us rather than just play with fancy meaningless words.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #214 of 7,916
Personally, it's too big for me, but I have MX3 and find SQ to be very good with Flyme 3.6.1 ver (like I've concluded here not long ago, it's on pair with Macbook Air).

But yeah, if size and price wasn't the problem, I would definitely go for MX4 Pro.

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #218 of 7,916
Would love to, but the fact that I am in the us, and it can't do LTE in the us
biggrin.gif

Oppo has US version of the phones with LTE, but I'm not sure which carriers:

https://oppostyle.com/

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #219 of 7,916
Poweramp is the best music player.....for some devices only !

It behaves differently on each device, experience shows that all snapdragon based smartphones pairs very well with poweramp, but if you have Exynos with wolfson or any other chipset you'd better off with Neutron or Playerpro. Therefore, it's on a trial error basis to hear which music player suits best your needs, don't get fool with features and ui as some are just gimmicks to stand out of the crowd :wink:

Well compatibility depends more on the ROM than hardware. I have exynos/wolfson and altough poweramp doesn't work well with newest stock FW, it works just perfect with older ROMs or new ones which are modded with compatible libs. That's why I keep mentioning Flyme 3.6.1 everywhere I write about MX3, cause that's the best stock unmodded FW for this purpose and for SQ in general, it has like x2 more output power with poweramp when compared to unmodded 4.x.x.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #220 of 7,916
I have recently wrote a long post about my experince with HTC one S, iBasso and triple fi 10 IEMs. I was shocked to realize that the HTC sounds virtually the same as the iBasso DX 90 (unsing same IEMs and FLAC 16 bits files). And i challenge anyone to the test.

Curiously no-one cared to respond to my post, probably because this is very inconvenient to admit for many (including myself).

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #221 of 7,916
I have recently wrote a long post about my experince with HTC one S, iBasso and triple fi 10 IEMs. I was shocked to realize that the HTC sounds virtually the same as the iBasso DX 90 (unsing same IEMs and FLAC 16 bits files). And i challenge anyone to the test.

Curiously no-one cared to respond to my post, probably because this is very inconvenient to admit for many (including myself).

I guess the problems would be that no one have both of those devices. But in generally speaking, smartphones vs dedicated player = DAP wins in the audio departments, and smartphone wins as a phone.

There are many people seeking for battles between these two everyday, and so far it is the same result, when you compare them in a fair fight :wink:. Same price, for example.

I use Z3 tablet compact, and now compare to ZX2 walkman. The ZX2 is day and night different....again, it is not in the same price point. I will be very interested in seeing if any other $1200 smartphone sound comparison against ZX2

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #223 of 7,916
Hi guys, my plan is about to run out so I'm looking for a new phone. This also (tragically) correlates with the left chanell of my Cowon J3 being on the fritz.

I currently have an Xperia Z (OG) and it just can't drive my Beyer DT250 80's to a satisfactory volume. I want to use my new phone as my primary portable music device, with a side of adequate capabilities in other areas. Would the M8 be my best bet (without breaking the bank)? It's either that or the Z3C, but if the output capability of the Z series hasn't increased that's a no go.

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #225 of 7,916
The only current phones with decent output voltage are iphone and HTC (and maybe some of the Chinese ones -- not sure here.) I have not heard any DAC details on GS6, but if they put Wolfson ( or Cirrus logic, new owner) DAC with Exynos in the same manner they did in the past then there may be an easy hack to increase volume also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back