Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #226 of 7,916
  The only current phones with decent output voltage are iphone and HTC (and maybe some of the Chinese ones -- not sure here.) I have not heard any DAC details on GS6, but if they put Wolfson ( or Cirrus logic, new owner) DAC with Exynos in the same manner they did in the past then there may be an easy hack to increase volume also.

Yes, many of those sounded good but needed the extra headroom - providing root privileges were available, it was fairly trivial with those to circumvent the inbuilt output restrictions.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #227 of 7,916
The only current phones with decent output voltage are iphone and HTC (and maybe some of the Chinese ones -- not sure here.) I have not heard any DAC details on GS6, but if they put Wolfson ( or Cirrus logic, new owner) DAC with Exynos in the same manner they did in the past then there may be an easy hack to increase volume also.

Decent output? As long as we're not looking to drive something like the Sennheiser HD800, most smartphones will be just fine with every headphones below 80ohms and spl above 102db, music on a smartphone will mainly be on the go, therefore we'll be using sensitive iems more likely than conventional headphones, so power is not an issue overall !

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #229 of 7,916
Decent output? As long as we're not looking to drive something like the Sennheiser HD800, most smartphones will be just fine with every headphones below 80ohms and spl above 102db, music on a smartphone will mainly be on the go, therefore we'll be using sensitive iems more likely than conventional headphones, so power is not an issue overall !

That's totally wrong. Even between different Samsung Galaxy 4 variants (Exynos vs Qualcomm) there is a big difference. There are only a handful of smartphones out there with relatively powerful sound output, and even those often need messing with software to get the most out of them. My Meizu MX3 (Exynos/Wolfson) with newest stock firmware will sound crappy and weak (practically no room for EQ at all), but with matched audio libs the output is wonderful - 70% vol is the max I can tolerate with S500s, while the usual listening volume outdoors is slightly below 50%.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #230 of 7,916
I prefer to go for clean, higher quality output from a phone's output, and focus less on output power.

Weak (but clean) output can be compensated for easily with an in line portable headphone amp.

The holy grail is obviously the triad of clean, detailed, and loud output. But in the absence of that, if I had to sacrifice one of those, it would be output power.

Case in point: ASUS TF201 tablet - oodles of output power, but the SQ is painfully low. There's little you can do to overcome that.

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #232 of 7,916
That's totally wrong. Even between different Samsung Galaxy 4 variants (Exynos vs Qualcomm) there is a big difference. There are only a handful of smartphones out there with relatively powerful sound output, and even those often need messing with software to get the most out of them. My Meizu MX3 (Exynos/Wolfson) with newest stock firmware will sound crappy and weak (practically no room for EQ at all), but with matched audio libs the output is wonderful - 70% vol is the max I can tolerate with S500s, while the usual listening volume outdoors is slightly below 50%.

I use only 70-75% max of the total output on my Z3 which is already one of the quietest smartphones actually, I don't think I'll need bigger output such as HTC M8 or whatever, I already have a couple of dedicated daps and portable amps to feed my hard to drive cans. All depends on how you plan to use your smartphone. In my position I use only sensitive iems on my smartphones, be sure that smartphones has limits and we have to accept the fact that a cat is a cat and will never turn into a dog even if it barks
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #235 of 7,916
I've had a Samsung Galaxy S5 for a couple weeks now, and I can say, using PowerAmp music player, it comes close to rivaling my X3.  I can tune with the EQ in PowerAmp, and it drives my IEM's (see sig), to pleasing, if not painful levels just fine.  With PowerAmp, and the built in DAC being able to handle hi-res files, I can play my 24/96 files just fine, and my FLAC collection fits on the 128Gb card no problem, and is read by the phone easily.  I have the Qualcomm version, so I'm not sure what DAC is in it, but when I had the treble filters on my RHA's, I found it to be a bit "splashy" in the highs.  Currently, I'm using the bass filters (I'm a basshead, I'll admit), and have turned the treble up 2-3db's, and the mids up 1-2db's, and the RHA's are just as clear as they were on my X3 using the treble filters.  I love the sound the phone produces, and I never miss a call or text this way.  I may have found my all-in-one solution.

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #236 of 7,916
I've had a Samsung Galaxy S5 for a couple weeks now, and I can say, using PowerAmp music player, it comes close to rivaling my X3.  I can tune with the EQ in PowerAmp, and it drives my IEM's (see sig), to pleasing, if not painful levels just fine.  With PowerAmp, and the built in DAC being able to handle hi-res files, I can play my 24/96 files just fine, and my FLAC collection fits on the 128Gb card no problem, and is read by the phone easily.  I have the Qualcomm version, so I'm not sure what DAC is in it, but when I had the treble filters on my RHA's, I found it to be a bit "splashy" in the highs.  Currently, I'm using the bass filters (I'm a basshead, I'll admit), and have turned the treble up 2-3db's, and the mids up 1-2db's, and the RHA's are just as clear as they were on my X3 using the treble filters.  I love the sound the phone produces, and I never miss a call or text this way.  I may have found my all-in-one solution.

Ehm... I believe Exynos powered S5s have slightly better SQ since they use Wolfson DAC, so you could have been even more surprised if you got one. :p

EDIT: your S5 has Qualcomm WCD9320 DAC.

Mar 27, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #237 of 7,916
Ehm... I believe Exynos powered S5s have slightly better SQ since they use Wolfson DAC, so you could have been even more surprised if you got one.
tongue.gif

EDIT: your S5 has Qualcomm WCD9320 DAC.

I don't know the differences between the two, I just know that I'm enjoying the sound of the phone.  Is the Exynos powered S5 that much better?  Because my Qualcomm one sounds pretty darn good.

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #238 of 7,916
I don't know the differences between the two, I just know that I'm enjoying the sound of the phone.  Is the Exynos powered S5 that much better?  Because my Qualcomm one sounds pretty darn good.

Well then good for you :)
No idea how big the difference is (I'am sure both are good, gsmarena tested the Qualcomm one), all I know is that Exynos variant has to SOME extent better DAC.

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #239 of 7,916
Well then good for you :)
No idea how big the difference is (I'am sure both are good, gsmarena tested the Qualcomm one), all I know is that Exynos variant has to SOME extent better DAC.

Having the better DAC does absolutely nothing to assure of better SQ. Nothing. It's all about implementation at the hardware and software level.

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #240 of 7,916
Well, the hardware and software implementation of the Qualcomm chip in my phone is pretty good.  I can adjust the EQ in PowerAmp, no more than I would on my X3, and get great sound with my RHA T10i's.  I'm happy with the output, the performance, and I must add the UI of the phone over the X3.  Still deciding the fate of my X3, but right now, it's back in it's box, the memory card I got for it is being returned, and I'm happy with using my phone as a DAP.  Do I get the "power" of the X3, no.  The phone has a smaller built-in amp.  But with my RHA's, the required power to run them is small, so I really get no benefit from the amp in the X3.  I really think, the biggest thing to me right now is UI, something that FiiO is definitely behind on.  I'm happy with the X3, and could probably get what I paid for it, being that it's discontinued, and the prices for those remaining new ones is around $500 CAD, but that's beside the point.  I'm happy with the phone, being that I have an all-in-one device, and can freely roam, without missing a call, text, or email ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back