Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #241 of 7,916
Having the better DAC does absolutely nothing to assure of better SQ. Nothing. It's all about implementation at the hardware and software level.

This is too true. Different DAC may have different designs and material, but all in all without a good circuitry design and sloppy software....it is simply wasted.

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #242 of 7,916
True.  Components must compliment each other, and there needs to be thought behind implementation.  This makes the difference between something that merely has great specs on paper, and something that sounds musical and pleases the ear.

On many occasions, those two things don't meet.

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #243 of 7,916
Went to my local best buy today to check out the new S6, M9 and listen to the snapdragon N4, iphone 6.  Used a set of shure 535 with grey filters, had to listen to youtube to compare across android devices(iphone did not have it).  They all sounded quite good and certainly on par with my wolfson N2(with voodoo).  The iphone sound is probably the best but I can't handle the lock-down on ios(like a lot of custom mods).  What surprised me was the SQ of the N4, clean, no hiss.  The S6 and M9 are both excellent but after coming from a Note 2, I was not partial to the smaller screens.  The M9 has a bit more power but not needed on iems.  What was also interesting was the sprint N4 had more audio power than the verizon (sprint level was about 2 clicks down for similar perceived loudness).  Looked on xda and there are ways to alter the loudness but you need to be rooted.  So they are all fine devices, I think I may get over my wolfson dac snobbishness and get a N4-sprint.  Other factors in favor of the N4, removable SD, battery.  BTW, the N4 edge is a stunning unit but if you are into root/custom roms, they are very limited.

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #244 of 7,916
If anyone has one of the phones mentioned here or any good phones with Sabre/Wolfson DAC  good Headphone sound betwwen £50-150 that they would sell plz let us know :)

Have been reading a lot of this thread, very informative.  Would like to hear Sabre DAC with good Op-amp implimented in phone. 
Need to travel lightweight! 

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #245 of 7,916
Having the better DAC does absolutely nothing to assure of better SQ. Nothing. It's all about implementation at the hardware and software level.

Yes, but we are talking the same phone here with 2 different DACs. Meaning all the other variables being equal.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #246 of 7,916
Well Ive been listening to the HTC one M8 for two days now and I have to say that the sound on the Nokia Lumia 630 beats it in realness and lifeness and just general quality.  I might try and go for another phone, any ideas ?

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #248 of 7,916
Yeah I would try but I think the M9 will not be much different than the M8, I just sold my M8 and got a nice price, so im going to try next perhaps a Samsung or Alcatel idol X+.

Something with an SD card capable slot to 128gb and some good chips in perhaps. 
I wonder what to try next! 

Id like to try a vivo X5 Max but they cost too much at the moment. £270 second hand yes but £350  no lol and I don't want to carry around an external DAC.

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #249 of 7,916
Yes, but we are talking the same phone here with 2 different DACs. Meaning all the other variables being equal.

That's a lot assume given different SoCs. I mean the same Yamaha DAC sounded extremely different between the S2 and Note. You should probably stop while you're behind.

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #250 of 7,916
HTC One M9 & Shure SE846 offers a surprisingly punchy sound, and a volume that I officially cannot handle at 100% - it really is THAT powerful...

iPhone 6(+) is a warmer, lusher sound (EU volume limit removed) but is definitely not as 'fun' as the HTC which works oh so well with any music with a beat behind it

My thoughts for the proverbial penny are, if you're looking for a current gen handset, if you're into vocal led music, get the iPhone, for everything else, the HTC brings the life to the party! :)

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #252 of 7,916
Anyone tried the. Vivo X5 Max ?
Because it looks like they implemented the sabre DAC and amp chips well with special power supply.

Thank you! I was trying to remember the name of that phone a while back and it was completely eluding me. Unfortunately I have no experience to relate regards your question. Now that I know what to look for though, I may eventually have some feedback on that phone...

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #253 of 7,916
Yes, I think anyone would be happy with the playback and another member here has enjoyed its sound. So the only thing holding me back in getting the Vivo x5 max. Is the quality of audio when recording a video. Which I'm unsure of.

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #254 of 7,916
Try M9 ? But so far to me, even IPhone 6 do not have that musical quality and realistic timbres in it.

Just got the M9 today, first impression on usual mp3 and flac files paired with a freshly bought Marshall Major 2 : WOW !!! that thing is amazing 
gs1000.gif

Coming from a bunch of dedicated Hi-res dap+ Sony Z3 and Iphone 6, the M9 is a real step above with the clearest sound I ever heard on a smartphone and the most powerful amp on the market, if the M8 is a beast, this one is Godzilla
biggrin.gif

I'm waiting for my wife to get the Galaxy S6, then I'll do a comparison
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back