Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #526 of 7,916
I've wondered about that, when you use an external amp, the source/DAP volume should be at 100%? Having the volume that high won't introduce distortion? I was thinking a sweet spot would be keeping the volume on the source maybe at 75-90% and have the amp take care of the rest of the volume?

Get an amp that doesn't distort when source is 100% full bits.

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #527 of 7,916
I've wondered about that, when you use an external amp, the source/DAP volume should be at 100%? Having the volume that high won't introduce distortion? I was thinking a sweet spot would be keeping the volume on the source maybe at 75-90% and have the amp take care of the rest of the volume?

The proper way to use an external amp/dac is to max out the volume level on the dap, if you don't, there will be some kind of resistance in the process and the amp will not be able to deliver as it should. You will always have an option to tune your desired volume level on the amp.

And no, there won't be any distortion as the amp will now take over the output.

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #528 of 7,916
The proper way to use an external amp/dac is to max out the volume level on the dap, if you don't, there will be some kind of resistance in the process and the amp will not be able to deliver as it should. You will always have an option to tune your desired volume level on the amp.

And no, there won't be any distortion as the amp will now take over the output.

There are some amps that distort when the source (whether amp or DAC) exceeds a certain voltage. For example the O2, I learned, will distort when its exceeds 7 volts; that's why it recommends max gain of up to 3.5x only if to be used with DACs outputting 2V.

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #530 of 7,916
  Hello,

I'm looking for a budget audiphile smartphone for about 200€. Does anyone have an idea which one I could get?

HTC 820. 

Do you want a big screen, what do you want from it?

Audio wise?

maybe sony whatever you can fiind at this price, or idol 3 from alcatel. Idol 3 has a dedicated DAC chip inside, so it makes kind of a best buy. 

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #533 of 7,916
  Hello,

I'm looking for a budget audiphile smartphone for about 200€. Does anyone have an idea which one I could get?

Sony Xperia M4 Aqua. It has a very good sound output.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_m4_aqua-review-1249p7.php

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #535 of 7,916
Get ready for ZTE Axon with AKM 4961. I hope they release it in Europe too.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/ZTE-Axon-Phone-now-available-to-pre-order-in-the-US-Quad-HD-screen-and-other-high-end-specs-for-under-450_id71542

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #536 of 7,916
  Get ready for ZTE Axon with AKM 4961. I hope they release it in Europe too.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/ZTE-Axon-Phone-now-available-to-pre-order-in-the-US-Quad-HD-screen-and-other-high-end-specs-for-under-450_id71542

32 gb internal and no microsd slot. 

Even if it had the best DAC in the world, this would not have been enough. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #537 of 7,916
The Sony Xperia M4 is a little to expensive for me. I could get a used HTC One Mini 2 for 200€ how good is it in terms of audio output via headphones?
I also heard that the Motorola Moto G has great audio and I can get it for about 150€.

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #538 of 7,916
  The Sony Xperia M4 is a little to expensive for me. I could get a used HTC One Mini 2 for 200€ how good is it in terms of audio output via headphones?
I also heard that the Motorola Moto G has great audio and I can get it for about 150€.

maybe a slight improvewment on moto? htc is great, but I try to avoid mini versions. audio is first sacrificed in mini

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #539 of 7,916
maybe a slight improvewment on moto? htc is great, but I try to avoid mini versions. audio is first sacrificed in mini

You're wrong coz the One mini 2 has a better SQ than the One M8! I didn't bought it because I need a bigger screen, please note that according to customers' reviews the Z3 compact sounds better than its bigger sibling. Minis are great for the one who doesn't care about the screen size.

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #540 of 7,916
Is there a good alternative to the mini 2 in terms of audio quality and the price not more than 200€. I don't like the fact that the mini 2 doesn't get any software updates in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back