Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #511 of 7,916
From my personal experience, go with Z3, or Note 4 Snapdragon U.S. version. Else, just wait for the next IPhone. If what I know about Apple is true, Apple will revise and redesign the iPhone audio spec since Apple started to offer Apple music. Unless, Cook is changing everything.

Hmm, I'm happy with the iPhone 6's overall performances but the built quality and codecs support leave rooms for improvements, regarding my second and new Z3 everything seems to be flawless so far in the audio department, I passed on the Z3+ (Z4) because of serious overheating and lag issues. I'm not too optimistic about 2015 flagships anyway and Qualcomm seems to be guilty for most cons out there. Not only about overheating but also about how the audio modules have been implemented. Let's wait and see how Apple will amaze us...or not !

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #512 of 7,916
Android is a mess thanks to Google, 2015 flagships are awful thanks to Qualcomm, Microsoft and Blackberry are almost non-existant, so that leaves us iPhone only. Just buy the upcoming iPhone 6s in September. I like the audio of Sony Xperia Z series but Android is so terrible that I can't tolerate it just for audio. Not when iPhone audio is good anyway.

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #513 of 7,916
Android is a mess thanks to Google, 2015 flagships are awful thanks to Qualcomm, Microsoft and Blackberry are almost non-existant, so that leaves us iPhone only. Just buy the upcoming iPhone 6s in September. I like the audio of Sony Xperia Z series but Android is so terrible that I can't tolerate it just for audio. Not when iPhone audio is good anyway.

Samsung Phones with Wolfson chip (i.e Exynos variant) are not too bad at audio as well. Only thing I would do is get rid of the TW bloatware and the not so useful SoundAlive.

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #514 of 7,916
I looked into this matter recently since my old iphone 4 got stolen and I was looking into buying a new one that would provide very good sound driving my good old UM3x (50 something ohms). The iphone did a very good job until then, subjectively speaking. But browsing the net i found some more objective comparison between phones (eg here http://m.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5-review-822p6.php): iphones top the list of a couple of key objective metrics such as dynamic range, noise etc. its probably due to the fact that there is a dedicated DAC chip onboard (used to be cirrus logic i think), that delivers this performance. Based on this and given that the iphones are still rather small compared to some other phablet type devices i got an iphone 5.

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #515 of 7,916

You were not there for gingerbread. 

Android lollipop and kitkat is very refined and cool, compared to older versions.

Iphone is a mixed bag, as you are stuck with it, and is very expensive. I like it, but I change my phones on a 7-month cycles, so iphones would make bad companions. 

As far as Android smartphones go, high-mid end is the sweet spot.

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #516 of 7,916
Thanks for the quick responses! I think I'm going to stick with iPhone then especially since I already know I'm satisfied with it's sound and the overall product. I thought that there may be an android that significantly out classes it, but it doesn't seem so. I also primarily just listen to MP3's and spotify when on the go, so I should be more than good just sticking in the same lane.

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #517 of 7,916
  Thanks for the quick responses! I think I'm going to stick with iPhone then especially since I already know I'm satisfied with it's sound and the overall product. I thought that there may be an android that significantly out classes it, but it doesn't seem so. I also primarily just listen to MP3's and spotify when on the go, so I should be more than good just sticking in the same lane.

You'd be better off getting decent IEMs/headphones... Transducers make the biggest difference anyway. iPhone 6 has more than enough juice to drive any portable headphone. Earsonics Velvet + iPhone 6 = Dream Sound.

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #518 of 7,916
You'd be better off getting decent IEMs/headphones... Transducers make the biggest difference anyway. iPhone 6 has more than enough juice to drive any portable headphone. Earsonics Velvet + iPhone 6 = Dream Sound.

Your dream sound is quite expensive! Regarding smartphones I don't recommend anything above $500 ! Why would you spend that much when you just couldn't get a real audiophile experience on a smartphone?

I would understand that you invest a thousand dollars in iems if you already have a dedicated high end dap such as Astell and Kern AK120, Cowon Plenue etc. However on headfi I saw people using a pair of Shure SE846 purchased at $1000 on the Moto G a $150 smartphone (What?)

It sounds like you're ordering gastonomic fine dishes in a Mc Donald

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #519 of 7,916

Yeah you're right! I'm good for headphones for the time being, although. I may not even upgrade my 4s when I can, because even though it's almost 2 years old it is still in perfect working and cosmetic condition. There aren't even really any scratches on it. 

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #520 of 7,916
Your dream sound is quite expensive! Regarding smartphones I don't recommend anything above $500 ! Why would you spend that much when you just couldn't get a real audiophile experience on a smartphone?

I would understand that you invest a thousand dollars in iems if you already have a dedicated high end dap such as Astell and Kern AK120, Cowon Plenue etc. However on headfi I saw people using a pair of Shure SE846 purchased at $1000 on the Moto X a $150 smartphone (What?)

It sounds like you're ordering gastonomic fine dishes in a Mc Donald

I think DAPs are crap if you're going to use them with portable headphones. Anyone who spends thousands on them (only to add a portable amp to the chain later) is wasting their money. iPhone 6 has audiophile sound quality on its own, its frequency curve is perfect. It can drive any portable headphone. Some Android phones such as Z3 have also good sound quality but have lower output power compared to iPhone 6. Those who prefer a v-shaped curve can go for HTC One M8/M9 instead.

A friend and I met last week. He brought his new and shiny Cowon P1. I tested Earsonics Velvet both on that DAP and iPhone 6. Velvet is very easy to drive. To my ears, there was no discernible difference. Yes, many people who buy such stuff believe there is, but believe me, it's mostly in their mind.
smile.gif
  Now obviously expensive DAPs have stronger output than iPhone 6 but that's not necessary for portable headphones, unless you carry your HD650s around. YMMV.

Also, it may seem like blasphemy to some people, but using Velvet with iPhone 6 is quite an enjoyable experience. I can also use streaming services without having to deal with crappy DAP UIs.

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #521 of 7,916

Yeah you're right! I'm good for headphones for the time being, although. I may not even upgrade my 4s when I can, because even though it's almost 2 years old it is still in perfect working and cosmetic condition. There aren't even really any scratches on it. 

I see. Just don't waste your money when there's no need. If you really want to try something different, you may the case in the link below, remember though that this would only be necessary for harder to drive headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/748384/centrance-upcoming-product-for-iphone-5-above-and-ipod-touch-5-hi-fi-skyn

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #522 of 7,916

I see. Just don't waste your money when there's no need. If you really want to try something different, you may the case in the link below, remember though that this would only be necessary for harder to drive headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/748384/centrance-upcoming-product-for-iphone-5-above-and-ipod-touch-5-hi-fi-skyn

Yeah exactly, I'd only really want to upgrade if I got information that I could get something significantly better. I might just ride with this phone till it starts having issues. 

Thanks for posting that link BTW I had no idea that something like that was available. When it's time for me to upgrade to a newer iPhone I may look into that again.

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #523 of 7,916
I think DAPs are crap if you're going to use them with portable headphones. Anyone who spends thousands on them (only to add a portable amp to the chain later) is wasting their money. iPhone 6 has audiophile sound quality on its own, its frequency curve is perfect. It can drive any portable headphone. Some Android phones such as Z3 have also good sound quality but have lower output power compared to iPhone 6. Those who prefer a v-shaped curve can go for HTC One M8/M9 instead.

A friend and I met last week. He brought his new and shiny Cowon P1. I tested Earsonics Velvet both on that DAP and iPhone 6. Velvet is very easy to drive. To my ears, there was no discernible difference. Yes, many people who buy such stuff believe there is, but believe me, it's mostly in their mind. :smile:   Now obviously expensive DAPs have stronger output than iPhone 6 but that's not necessary for portable headphones, unless you carry your HD650s around. YMMV.

Also, it may seem like blasphemy to some people, but using Velvet with iPhone 6 is quite an enjoyable experience. I can also use streaming services without having to deal with crappy DAP UIs.

I have dedicated daps from $100 to $1300 and to be honest, the comparison with my iphone 6 is really night and day. Even the cheapest one (Fiio X1) can kick any iphone out of the league, if you didn't notice the differences it's maybe because you used lossy files for your review session, on mp3/aac you surely won't be able to judge a dedicated dap and a smartphone, on my iphone, even if I have only full albums in aiff, it don't shine in comparison with the X1 on same tracks of same quality.

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #524 of 7,916
Get iPhone 6+ (you'll enjoy its size), and then buy a cheap but excellent amp like a FiiO E6 or E12. The improvement is instantly substantial because you can maxout the volume on the iPhone, hence you get to hear the full bits, and you get to enjoy the very low output impedance of the FiiO's headphone out jack, which is necessary to avoid distorting the sound, especially if your IEM or headphone has low impedance.

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #525 of 7,916
Get iPhone 6+ (you'll enjoy its size), and then buy a cheap but excellent amp like a FiiO E6 or E12. The improvement is instantly substantial because you can maxout the volume on the iPhone, hence you get to hear the full bits, and you get to enjoy the very low output impedance of the FiiO's headphone out jack, which is necessary to avoid distorting the sound, especially if your IEM or headphone has low impedance.

I've wondered about that, when you use an external amp, the source/DAP volume should be at 100%? Having the volume that high won't introduce distortion? I was thinking a sweet spot would be keeping the volume on the source maybe at 75-90% and have the amp take care of the rest of the volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back