Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #4,516 of 7,916
Hello,

I'm looking for a "small' smartphone (ideally <=5", 5.2" max), with gorgeous headphone sound and good camera.
After some search, I selected:
  1. HTC 10: near perfect, but quite expensive!
  2. Xiaomi mi5: no SD card and not sure audio is quite as good as the HTC

I'm sure there are others phones with good sound, so if you have any suggestions.
thanks

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #4,517 of 7,916
Hello,

I'm looking for a "small' smartphone (ideally <=5", 5.2" max), with gorgeous headphone sound and good camera.
  • HTC 10: near perfect, but quite expensive!
  • Xiaomi mi5: no SD card and not sure audio is quite as good as the HTC

I'm sure there are others phones with good sound, so if you have any suggestions.

thanks

Htc10

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #4,518 of 7,916
I’m currently looking to move on from my ageing LG G3.
I see various models that would go on my shortlist (including LG G5, V10 or V20, ZTE Axon 7, Sony X or Z or XZ, HTC 10).
I read that some of these have optimized DACs or systems built in for enhanced music quality. However, from discussions that I’ve read here on Head-Fi, these optimized functions may only be available with the native music players on the device(?).
Specifically, they do not work when using music downloaded for offline use with Spotify, played using the Spotify app.  (or is this limitation only with streamed music?)
Of the options that I’ve listed above, do any of them have enhanced music systems that will work with Spotify downloaded offline music?
Noting that this is my main music source, are there any models that you would specifically recommend (or avoid)?

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #4,519 of 7,916
  Hello,

thanks

once i've narrowed down my list to the very same devices, but i've heard the mi5 (sounds meh and the infamous bend test looks scary) and dropped the 10 as i decided not to spend so much on a phone, so i'm open to bigger devices, too.

also, the meizu pro 6 has a decent camera, supposedly good dac, only the battery and flyme keep me away from ordering it. it also looks terrific in red.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #4,521 of 7,916
[COLOR=1F497D]I’m currently looking to move on from my ageing LG G3.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=1F497D]I see various models that would go on my shortlist (including LG G5, V10 or V20, ZTE Axon 7, Sony X or Z or XZ, HTC 10).[/COLOR]
[COLOR=1F497D]I read that some of these have optimized DACs or systems built in for enhanced music quality. However, from discussions that I’ve read here on Head-Fi, these optimized functions may only be available with the native music players on the device(?).[/COLOR]
[COLOR=1F497D]Specifically, they do not work when using music downloaded for offline use with Spotify, played using the Spotify app.  (or is this limitation only with streamed music?)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=1F497D]Of the options that I’ve listed above, do any of them have enhanced music systems that will work with Spotify downloaded offline music?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=1F497D]Noting that this is my main music source, are there any models that you would specifically recommend (or avoid)?[/COLOR]

The Marshmallow update from LG for the V10, unlocked the DAC, so that you can use it with any music or streaming service.

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #4,526 of 7,916
I see various models that would go on my shortlist (including LG G5, V10 or V20, ZTE Axon 7, Sony X or Z or XZ, HTC 10).
I read that some of these have optimized DACs or systems built in for enhanced music quality. However, from discussions that I’ve read here on Head-Fi, these optimized functions may only be available with the native music players on the device(?).
Specifically, they do not work when using music downloaded for offline use with Spotify, played using the Spotify app.  (or is this limitation only with streamed music?)
Of the options that I’ve listed above, do any of them have enhanced music systems that will work with Spotify downloaded offline music?
Noting that this is my main music source, are there any models that you would specifically recommend (or avoid)?

I just checked and the Axon 7 seems to use the dac for Spotify. I still want to compare the ZTE music app with UAPP in depth and then I will know for sure.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #4,527 of 7,916
  Hello,

thanks

Depending on your region, LG G5 with B&O dac and amp module.

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #4,528 of 7,916
  Hello,

thanks

Just to add the el-cheapo dimension on the subject.

5 inch, removable batteries, dual sim, big micro SD and all, one for audio (AW87319), one for generic usage.

Here you go !

http://sale.joybuy.com/act/xTwRcGDtPny.html

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #4,529 of 7,916

Hi guys, 

Please could anyone shed a bit more light on what is being highlighted in the above post regarding Spotify not using onboard DAC as it's something I've read about in various places online without much explanation? From what I understand this same issue exists with the Fiio X7 for example. 

I'm currently looking into a new phone and would like to understand what are the best options for Spotify use / sound quality. I was considering HTC 10.

Thanks.

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #4,530 of 7,916
Could someone help me? I'm trying to find a good phone with great DAC/Amp and speakers (I like it at the front, but don't mind it being at the bottom tho), that also has a decent camera or maybe better,and good battery life

Phones I've decided between are
the HTC 10, HTC One M9, ZTE Axon 7, Lenovo Vibe x3, LG V10, LG V20, and Marshall London

Or should I wait for other phones to come out, cos I'm not buying them immediately

I stream my music on Spotify,SoundCloud, and even YouTube

Thanks for reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back