Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #1,831 of 7,916
  Hi guys, I'm interested in a cellphone with a good DAC. Not looking at iPhones, HTCs or Samsungs because being a father to a 3-year-old means I'm after a not-too-expensive phone that can take a few drops.

I'm looking for one with 5 inches display (or 5.2 max, will never go 5.5 and above), SD card slot and reasonably good battery life. Meizu's MX4 and 5 (non-pro) were eliminated bcos they don't have card slots, which leaves Vivo X5 or Pro. Or maybe, the HTC M8 (much cheaper than the current M9).

Would be playing FLACs and MP3s and connecting the cellphone to IEMs, so I'm not fussy about the amp component. Would like Spotify premium or Tidal lossless too, however I've heard that they will only use the stock phone DAC and not the Hifi DAC. Has this been rectified yet?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

You listed almost every option by yourself. :D

In the case of the V10 the Hi-Fi Dac is used with Tidal. Spotify is just MP3s... I would go solely with Tidal.

Get a M8,install soundmod (DragonFi) and/or Viper4Android...

The Z3(compact or not) would be another option, as it sounds good, but is not that loud, which is not a problem, as you are using IEMs...And the player (software) is extremely good - subjectively, I know!

Hope, I could help a little...

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #1,832 of 7,916

In the case of the V10 the Hi-Fi Dac is used with Tidal. Spotify is just MP3s... I would go solely with Tidal.

The Z3(compact or not) would be another option, as it sounds good, but is not that loud, which is not a problem, as you are using IEMs...And the player (software) is extremely good - subjectively, I know!

The Z3 couple sound good? Didn't know, I only use iems so they should serve me well and I can buy one from a friend this year yet. There is a lot of cool smartphones around to choose lol

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #1,835 of 7,916
At this current moment...in my opinion, the LG V10 has my vote! 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #1,836 of 7,916

Thanks dude. I thought maybe there'd be some hidden gems I've not heard of, like those LeTV fellas.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #1,837 of 7,916
  At this current moment...in my opinion, the LG V10 has my vote! 
smile_phones.gif

I'd love the V10 too, not really in my price bracket and I'm worried if I like it too much I'd buy it on the spot!

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #1,838 of 7,916
Unfortunately that you would not like 5.5" phone, I would vote for Letv pro or max. Hifi is activated thru all apps. Very smooth sound. I would say it is DX80 jr version.

However, in 5.2" I vote for meizu pro 5 mini (still not available but soon.)

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #1,839 of 7,916
  Unfortunately that you would not like 5.5" phone, I would vote for Letv pro or max. Hifi is activated thru all apps. Very smooth sound. I would say it is DX80 jr version.

However, in 5.2" I vote for meizu pro 5 mini (still not available but soon.)

I'll look out for the Meizu thanks!

My average-sized hands still prefer one-handed use.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #1,840 of 7,916
Is there some sort of a summary post regarding which phones are great? I don't think I can read through all 120+ pages 
frown.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #1,842 of 7,916
No, there is not. But we can list a bunch like high end Meizus, a lot of Vivos, LG V10, HTC M8 and M9, Marshall London, Xperias Z3, Xiaomi Mi Note and Note Pro, Lenovo Vibe X3, etc

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #1,843 of 7,916
Jan 14, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #1,844 of 7,916

Wow, you have all these phones and DAPs?

For phones, I HAD all of them. I am a gadget player. buy, try and sell cycle. Now using mi note(with Full mod) and Letv max

For DAPs, I just tried at the shop. still no DAPs that ever touch my interest after good old DX100. :D

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #1,845 of 7,916
Is there some sort of a summary post regarding which phones are great? I don't think I can read through all 120+ pages :frowning2:

What's your budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back