Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #1,636 of 7,916

Mostly, yes. Better than the onboard dac of any 200$ phone. Maybe phones like the Pro 5, Mi Note Pro or the V10 would be good contenders for the smartphone side.

Great! Then I believe I should focus on an affordable DAC/AMP instead of a more expensive smartphone since the only reason of a serious upgrade would be just for the SQ

Do it. But an upgrade to an, lets examplarily say the Pro 5, isn´t just a sonic upgrade, you get a blazing fast CPU, better Screen and so on and on, but I get your way of thought.

Happy listening!

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #1,637 of 7,916
I use the se846s. Works pretty well,..

The h.o. was not very tight to begin with. Technically, sounds ok still, but I'm afraid that the H.O. getting looser over time. So I decided to contact customer service and see if I could exchange for a new phone... One with tight ho.

Waiting for their response...

There's no metal around the headphone jack; just plastic from the casing and rubber back. Not sure a new one will be much tighter but hope its better than your current one.

Been careful to avoid stress on mine; only plug/unplug few times a day at most.

V10's headphone jack (like the G4's) should be easy to replace down the road though. Looks like 4 small screws at the bottom (with back cover removed) to get to it. If it is like the G4, then it won't be soldered and easy to pop out.

Mine is ok for now but feel better knowing I can swap it out later if needed.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #1,638 of 7,916
Do it. But an upgrade to an, lets examplarily say the Pro 5, isn´t just a sonic upgrade, you get a blazing fast CPU, better Screen and so on and on, but I get your way of thought.

Happy listening!

It depends on what he needs ! If he already own a smartphone that he feel comfortable with most specs except SQ, it will be nonsense investing $600-700 to get another flagship smartphone just for the audio capabilities, This is why dedicated daps and portable amp/dacs exist and some good devices can be found for less than $200 e.g Fiio E17, E18, Xduoo 3 etc

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,639 of 7,916
It depends on what he needs ! If he already own a smartphone that he feel comfortable with most specs except SQ, it will be nonsense investing $600-700 to get another flagship smartphone just for the audio capabilities, This is why dedicated daps and portable amp/dacs exist and some good devices can be found for less than $200 e.g Fiio E17, E18, Xduoo 3 etc

Of course. But as he explained that he is in search of a smartphone in the range of 200$/200€, I logically presumed that he is not in the possesion of a flagship phone.

Can only agree on the second. Get a cheap phone, which supports USB OTG, buy the app "USB Audio Player Pro" and a decent portable dac/amp like Fiio´s, but not the E18(it is sensitive against cell network noises, a no go for smartphones).

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #1,640 of 7,916
Hi.

Disclaimer: I live in Europe. I travel a lot. I did not use LG V10 for long but I did play with that phone for around half hour.

I have meizu pro 5 for a couple of weeks now and I must say: excellent phone! Someone asked about reasons why PRO 5 is better than LG so there are mine:
1. speed. Exynos wins with SD808 in everything. Same for Mali-T760 vs Adreno 418
2. battery life. I can do two active days - "active" mean: I move a lot, change cities and countries, listen to music, play some games. And If i need to I can charge to 50% in minutes.
3. build quality. I know that I am sacrificing removable battery but all metal build is superb.
4. dual sim. Must have for me.
5. AMOLED screen is better than IPS. Even with smaller resolution.

I tested SQ on my own music from SD card on both phones using Audio-Technica M50x and I must say PRO5 sounds better.

It does not support DSD files (at least those: http://oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx) but for me it is ok, I only use flac.

Have a nice day.

... Can't argue here.... w/ reference to your observations,
#1 - no comment
#2 - lg v10 full charge 65 minutes, drain in 0600 - 0100 the next day
#3 - lg v10 wins here - bcoz of the stainless steel stiffeners, they're not just for show....
#4 - the other model 961 is dual sim, mine is 960 single sim w/ 200 gb micro sd card
#5 - Amoled, agree

----- And you forgot to add - Volume output, my Westones are already very sensitive but sometimes I have to crank it way up past the 55 mark & get a notif. about hearing damage just to satisfy my audio cravings...

... ''Does not support DSD'', my take - I've got 3 types P. Gabriel's ''So'' albums in DSD, FLAC Remaster 2012 & original release Flac 1987. This is One of my ALL time stalwart Audio reference For any media, home, portable or mobile... If you don't have a huge DSD / DSS Library, you 're not missing much, really... To be honest, the original release is difficult to beat since it has been meticulously recorded from the beginning... All aspects in the audio spectrum were represented very, very well...
I wish I could get my hands on one of those Meizus....

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,641 of 7,916

----- And you forgot to add - Volume output, my Westones are already very sensitive but sometimes I have to crank it way up past the 55 mark & get a notif. about hearing damage just to satisfy my audio cravings...

V10's volume output depends on the headphones' impedance.

Under 50 ohms gives normal output power but over 50 goes to high impedance mode with much more power and volume.

The V10 even drives my power hungry Fostex mk3s very well.

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #1,642 of 7,916
It is now near the end of year. I would like to set up a discussion of what is your expectation on audiophile smartphone in 2016. :D

Choices of my expectation I would try next year.

1. Vivo X6 Plus (Leak spec said ES9028)
2. Samsung S7 (Leak spec said ES9018AQ2M)
3. Xiaomi mi note pro Gen 2 (If still in production line) > What I love is both HW and SW can be modified and become (M)iPod Touch :D
4. LG V series next gen.
5. Meizu new pro version
6. Letv Max next gen.

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #1,643 of 7,916
It is now near the end of year. I would like to set up a discussion of what is your expectation on audiophile smartphone in 2016. :D

Choices of my expectation I would try next year.

1. Vivo X6 Plus (Leak spec said ES9028)
2. Samsung S7 (Leak spec said ES9018AQ2M)
3. Xiaomi mi note pro Gen 2 (If still in production line) > What I love is both HW and SW can be modified and become (M)iPod Touch :D
4. LG V series next gen.
5. Meizu new pro version
6. Letv Max next gen.

I bet on the next iPhone 7, Apple announced native 24 bit support and if it's true, I won't purchase any Android smartphone again, too much issues with most flagships, even the V10 is not flawless according to what I read on forums

Apple is already leading in this section, even if my Xperia Z3 has the best SQ within all my smartphones, it has a lot of issues to deal with. I never got any kind of bug from my IPhone 6 so far and it's way more convenient to be used as a smartphone

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #1,644 of 7,916
I bet on the next iPhone 7, Apple announced native 24 bit support and if it's true, I won't purchase any Android smartphone again, too much issues with most flagships, even the V10 is not flawless according to what I read on forums

Apple is already leading in this section, even if my Xperia Z3 has the best SQ within all my smartphones, it has a lot of issues to deal with. I never got any kind of bug from my IPhone 6 so far and it's way more convenient to be used as a smartphone

Apple is maybe leading in convenience, but in SQ they are not near the top spot, as you yourself said, that even the (superquiet) Z3 is a better sonic performer...
I hope I understood you the right way, otherwise, sorry...

In smartphones, it is always individual... I know some people, whose iPhone always crash and so on, and Droids on the other hand work flawlessly for years.... Quite strange...

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #1,645 of 7,916
I understand your point of both iOS fans and Droid Fans. I am not saying what is better. It depends on the user whether you're end-user or not

But we would stick to the topic of great sonic performer. So for next year, I will try most of my lists and will have a share of experience together

since I am a smartphone lover. I don't mind buying and then selling and buying again. Just having fun doing this. :D

I hope it could be a good guideline for passer-by who'd like to have all-in-1 smartphone suited for music lovers.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #1,646 of 7,916

Of course. But as he explained that he is in search of a smartphone in the range of 200$/200€, I logically presumed that he is not in the possesion of a flagship phone.

Can only agree on the second. Get a cheap phone, which supports USB OTG, buy the app "USB Audio Player Pro" and a decent portable dac/amp like Fiio´s, but not the E18(it is sensitive against cell network noises, a no go for smartphones).

Thank you both for the replies. I don't own any "flagship" since I roughly have any need for $500-600 specs so I always select something much more affordable. I currently own a Huawei Honor 3c but I was looking for an upgrade that could also satisfy me on the SQ section. Since there is no absolute necessity for a smartphone upgrade right now and there is nothing extremely exceptional at $200 price range I think that I will focus on an affordable portable DAC/AMP or an equally affordable DAP. I need to decide if I will place the Android ease of UI over the primitive DAP's!

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #1,647 of 7,916

Thank you both for the replies. I don't own any "flagship" since I roughly have any need for $500-600 specs so I always select something much more affordable. I currently own a Huawei Honor 3c but I was looking for an upgrade that could also satisfy me on the SQ section. Since there is no absolute necessity for a smartphone upgrade right now and there is nothing extremely exceptional at $200 price range I think that I will focus on an affordable portable DAC/AMP or an equally affordable DAP. I need to decide if I will place the Android ease of UI over the primitive DAP's!

DAP Recommendation:
Fiio X1
Fiio X3 I.*
iBasso DX50 *

DAC/AMP
Meridian Explorer 1 *
iBasso D Zero MK2
Fiio E12 (amp)
Fiio E17K Alpen 2
Audioengine D3 **
Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 **

* = Price could be above 200$ (new)
**= Plug and play, USB drive form...(small like a memory stick)

Dec 25, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #1,648 of 7,916
DAP Recommendation:
Fiio X1
Fiio X3 I.*
iBasso DX50 *

DAC/AMP
Meridian Explorer 1 *
iBasso D Zero MK2
Fiio E12 (amp)
Fiio E17K Alpen 2
Audioengine D3 **
Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 **

* = Price could be above 200$ (new)
**= Plug and play, USB drive form...(small like a memory stick)

Hidizs AP-100 can be had sometimes at or below $200 and sounds pretty glorious.

Cheers,
K

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #1,649 of 7,916
Apple is maybe leading in convenience, but in SQ they are not near the top spot, as you yourself said, that even the (superquiet) Z3 is a better sonic performer...
I hope I understood you the right way, otherwise, sorry...

In smartphones, it is always individual... I know some people, whose iPhone always crash and so on, and Droids on the other hand work flawlessly for years.... Quite strange...

You should agree on one thing, just install about 30 apps in your droid and tell me if the "flawless" experience is still there, do install even hundreds of apps on the iPhone, it won't be affected in any way. This is what I am trying to say, even on vers 6.0 things didn't improved in terms of RAM management

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #1,650 of 7,916
I don't have any problems with slow down or otherwise, to me personally having both the iPhone 6+ and the Sony Z5P and HTC M9, I can say that the only true thing Apple win on is keyboard implementation... Even third party keyboards on Android cannot touch that of native iOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back